Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

Yes, the update is out. And... I'm rusty after not having played for months. Yeah, let's go with that excuse, it's me being rusty...

0.2 is a lot harder than 0.1 was. Enemy stats have been tweaked, new (and more dynamic/harder-to-anticipate) enemies have been added, you no longer gain health/dashes/mana stars just by boosting your stats, and a lot of straightforward power-boosting traits have been replaced by weirder, more situational ones. Oh, and the metaprogression is different and a lot less power-boosty. I died a lot when I first went from 0.1 to 0.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Souls are rarely useful (since soul shops are uncommon) until you've beaten level 10 with five different characters. At that point, you'll unlock guaranteed shops that use souls.

Alignment is similarly vestigial until that point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Right after a major content patch, there's just going to be a lot of overcorrection in terms of game balance. You make big changes because then it's easier to tell if you've gone too far or not far enough. I'm sure that there'll be further balance changes to come. If the bonfire is overkill, for example, then it could always just get some price inflation.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Maybe soul scarf should be locked to a particular class or something then. Seeing as how every fourth post here is about how good it is and all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

so many systems have changed since i played this last time......... how does intelligence, mana drain and mana crystals work now?

I would super appreciate someone double-checking my math, but as I understand it:

- Every full mana star you have gives you +20% damage with weapons that drain mana. So as you use up stars, you get less damage. Weapons draining mana is a good thing because it means they get access to this bonus.
- After your stars are emptied, you go into a negative-star mode, where they can be drained again. I think this doesn't penalize damage, but once all of your stars are completely empty, you suffer attack rate penalties. And it takes longer for stars to refill if they've been drained twice, of course.
- Picking up a mana crystal gives you a buff that boosts your attack rate and makes stars drain more slowly.

Intelligence gives you extra crit chance and affects weapons that scale off of INT. It does nothing else (in particular, it does not give extra mana stars).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

Do you people really like to play like that?
With the CRT line effect, I mean.

I turned that poo poo off ASAP. The scanlines are OK, but the distortion? no way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

I was using an overpowered Kazoo as a bard which shot out a ton of red notes that return back to you and basically obscure any incoming enemy projectile. Also I ended up fighting the Pied Piper boss who also shoots out a bunch of red notes. It was almost impossible to tell the difference between the notes. Just make either your projectiles or the enemies projectiles a fixed color and then the opposite can use all colors but that one.

Desaturate/dim player attacks and put them on a separate layer that draws underneath enemy attacks. Bullet hell shmups have been doing this poo poo for decades, it's absolutely fixable.

On a related note, I've sometimes been hit by lasers that were wider than the warning indicators suggested. If an attack comes with a warning saying "attack will hit this area", and you're not standing where it says will be hit, then you shouldn't get hit by the attack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Are red dice rerolls able to generate armories? What happens if you reroll an armory (before going into it, with a red die)?

I had a run that didn't get a useful new weapon after level 5 or so, because I ran dry on bombs and the last two armories were both blocked by rubble :argh:

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 6, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Super Hero with the +30 INT superpower, the Big Brain hat for +20 INT, the "All INT bonuses are doubled, STR/DEX do nothing" trait, and the School Uniform (+2 power per INT) is bad enough already...and then I got "+1% buff effectiveness per point of power" AND "+5% buff effectiveness per point of INT". That's giving me +470% buff effectiveness...and when I hit things I get stacks of Rage, which makes me attack faster. I think it's something like +250% attack speed if anything could ever live long enough for me to get to max stacks of Rage.

(too bad Excalibur doesn't scale with INT!)

EDIT: ascended the Good throne:

https://i.imgur.com/xBoweGZ.mp4

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 7, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I found that weapon in my Frog Apocalypse run. Ended up not using it because of the comparatively short range; I had so much baseline attack power that the full-screen targeting of scroll weapons was more valuable than the raw stats of the staff.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The floors that consistently give me the most trouble now are the ones where you fight adventurers. The floor with clerics that heal the other enemies is nasty, because if you don't have good DPS yet, you can be completely subject to RNG whether or not you'll be allowed to kill anything. And the one with all the griffons and archers and giant golden knights is just a clusterfuck of projectiles flying everywhere.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The inability to skip boss speeches is definitely annoying, and I know I'd love an option to, like, quintuple the speed with which post-boss rewards spawn in. I dunno what sources of unnecessary slowdown there are...maybe the player death animation?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

There are tons of mediocre single-shot ranged weapons, many of which have barely better than melee range. Yeah they're playable but there's zero balance between them and even other ranged weapons in the same rarity band that fire a lot more hits per shot.

Weapon balance is supposed to be a focus for the upcoming patch.

On that note, I would love it if weapon item cards included an "average DPS" stat and a "number of projectiles" stat. It's kind of hard to compare weapons when you don't have that information. For example, the Grandmaster Shuriken looks kind of meh, until you realize that it has triple shot and is doing wildly more damage than its card would suggest.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I guess hearts are a little better than they used to be, now that you can pay the bonfire and/or the tavern nurse to get them all back. I still feel like they're weak compared to armor/block/evade though. So yeah, I don't really get the nerf.

Make it so armor repair powder gives 1-2 armor back instead of fully restoring it, and they'd be on a much more even keel.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

stuker posted:

still working for me-- if it's your first attempt might be helpful to clarify it's the altar past the door you have to bomb, not the door itself

There's so many situations where you're better off bombing stuff instead of taking the default reward. I can't remember the last time I took a shrine instead of bombing it, for example. 2 free experience points is a lot better than a temporary blessing unless you're already max level.

Mana stars nerfed to 10% damage, but INT gives +2.5% stats from stars per point
Tipsiness cap is 3 for everyone at base, instead of scaling with hearts. Cheese is more common and can show up in gift boxes.
Power has diminishing returns.
Blood chests/altars target hearts instead of armor.
Tavern nurse only heals you once per visit.
New infusions.
Storm in a Bottle is cheaper and more powerful.
Mimics and several bosses have more HP/armor
Soul Scarf nerfed
Orbitals and companions are a lot stronger in general

That's the main stuff I noticed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I did always think it was weird that several of the metaprogression nodes just straight-up made things worse for you. I could kinda see it, like "in order to get this cool ability, you also have to buy into things getting a bit worse", but it was still weird.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Don't use companions for damage, use them to turbo-charge yourself. Necromancers can start with 45% crushing hit chance, which is every bit as gibbing as Archers if they get a Lightning weapon and does not fall off as the game progresses.

People who want to do pet builds generally want their pets to be doing the damage, not themselves. Think like the necromancer in Diablo 2, where your focus is on applying curses to help your pets do damage, not on personally clicking on the enemies.

Unfortunately, that generally means that pet builds play completely differently from everyone else and are correspondingly hard to balance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

What exactly is that playstyle? Doing nothing and running in circles? I ask because I've played a dozen+ games at this point where people express disappointment that its not like D2 necromancer.

To be honest, I don't really get it either. People wanted me to add aircraft carriers to my warship game and I couldn't figure out how to make that fun, so I didn't. But I do gather that, yes, you mostly just kick back and let your pets do the work. In a game like Tiny Rogues, presumably you still would have to dodge attacks, but that's about it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I usually just go until it breaks unless I'm for whatever reason low on cash. It pretty much always pays off.

The payout from the slot machine is definitely worth your money, but ideally you bomb it right before it would explode on its own, because then you get a final payout of dice. And those dice get doubled if you have the "bombing gives doubled rewards" meta perk.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I wonder what RubyDev thinks a glaive is.

It's apparently a term that's undergoing some evolution, in the sense that an 80's movie used "glaive" to refer to what was basically a windmill shuriken, and that meaning has been growing in popularity since.

I can't be too mad, there's too goddamn many terms for a pointy thing on the end of a long pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Void Rains is only not "finished" because the dev added some additional characters whose stories haven't been fully implemented yet. But even if there was only the starting character, you'd still have a complete game's worth of stuff to do, and then some.