Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sure is harder than the beta branch where I could just crutch with demon hunter. The ez op trait combo is the 20% crit rate mark that auto applies + lethal hits from far range when you have a mark payoff. But you still need a good weapon to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Why mock me like this?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What do I do here?

Also pick soul scarf for starting item when you unlock it. It is op.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The more I play the more likely I am to get hit by floor 1 boars because they're the only thing in the game that accelerate.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cinder 16 is crazy. I find some of the early cinder levels get stale because the pool of enemy enchantments is so small but cinder 16 is just wall to wall insanity. I didn't think it would be as fun as it is. Cold damage is basically mandatory for someone of my skill level though I'm not dodging poo poo without that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think this game has the most broken dash I've ever played with. You can dash into projectiles and you won't take damage, the iframes way exceed the animation. It definitely handles differently from a lot of games' dashes but its something worth getting used to.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yay, managed a win at Cinder 12. But drat the added modifiers from Cinder 16 seem insanity inducing.
I did it with soul scarf demon hunter. I regretted not picking the EZ mode mastery node I think that helps a lot with getting a run going.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Just to shill soul scarf.

Here's a not very unusual floor 4 position:

All but one of those soul hearts is from soul scarf.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

From what I can tell you get offered a lot more flasks when your flasks are empty. The best part is refills show up in soul shops and they cost 4 souls so are close to free.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I got vial refills by bombing blood chests 3 times in a row so its possible thats just what they give. With double bombed chest pickups perk and a soul scarf thats pretty good value!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Dang thats a lot of buffs. Guess I get to be smug forever about beating game when it was harder (with the crutch class).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The 0-3 curse nerf is good. Losing a trait slot because of 1 curse is so stupid and makes me avoid the mechanic entirely.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Those stars make me ask - is Power multiplicative or additive with other sources of dmg% bonuses?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

But is a dozen soul hearts ever actually better than eight dice?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

To expand on this, because this is a very important part of the game's power scaling and terminology:

"% increased damage" is very distinct from "% more damage". They are two separate types of damage increases! So having 100% increased damage and 100% more damage is not the same as having 200% increased damage and 0% more damage. The former will give you 4x damage altogether, the latter will give you 3x.
Ok, THIS is what I needed to know. That helps/explains a lot.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Its pretty straightforward to get wins now with the egregious scarf abuse you can do at the bonfire. I've got a dozen wins in a row at cinder 4 now and I'm not saying this to brag (cinder 4 is not much of a brag) I'm saying it because you do tend to have enough control over your runs to get strong enough. I had a miserable knight run where I didnt get a single dice or arcade machine offered to me the entire time and it was still a win just because there are so many ways to ensure you get big enough.

Are highrolls way easier and more fun? Sure absolutely but the game truly deeply screwing you is very rare at least once you get some metaprogression filled out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The attuning is kind of crazy. You can do a lot of equipment swapping especially on the last three floors where you get free attunes before and after every boss. There's also ofc holding your 40 souls from floors 10-12 and then dumping them into soul scarf to get 8 soul hearts before your final boss.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Maybe soul scarf should be locked to a particular class or something then. Seeing as how every fourth post here is about how good it is and all.
Most of those posts are mine I'll admit. I think it was too strong but could have stayed under the radar in the previous patch but needs some kind of change in a world with bonfires because on top of being amazingly good just getting the soul heart -> damage trait at any point in the game makes you win.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

What exactly are you using that you're swapping equipment for the boss room? I pretty much never touch attunement unless I have Tyler's Robe.
I was taking the magus set on and off on one run (ie +magic find in general). You can also have two shields with 3 armor each and switch from one to the other at the boss (though annoyingly block only restores on floor change for the shield you have equipped). Theres also +boss damage stuff that often has high attune costs and you can take them on and off pre and post bosses near endgame.

But mostly its soul scarf.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Behold, a balanced floor 5 weapon:

Also - is luck bugged or something? 1 luck is amazing, but 10 luck doesnt seem to do more than 1 luck beyond modify lucky hit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, it isn't 'for no reason', they usually are weaker companions, in exchange of having less 'weight'.

Note I said 'usually', that one seems pretty good and 0.5 weight seems hard to justify :P.
That one definitely has the companion trait applied to it, I think it's 15% normally.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The stuff that DOES interact with it is kind of broken. 40% damage on a charm?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They need to stop showing winstreak so prominently. Its making me not want to play the highest cinders. Or just track winstreaks on each cinder separately.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think any of them increase the difficulty in a fundamental way except the combination of double enchantment/triple mobs/boss enchantment, which is where things get absolutely ridiculous (but kind of cool). Though Doomed to fail will just end your run early at times in a pretty uninteresting way.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oops I forgot which one doomed to fail is. I meant the one where you start with one heart no flasks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

For me it's Octoshot crossbow. How is it balanced!!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WarpedLichen posted:

Cast on crit is pretty sweet, and it feels pretty good as a payout when everything falls your way. It kinda sucks that sometimes it just falls apart though (only good purple is magic or bad triggers suck).

I'm trying to go for a Cinder 16 win and it feels like most runs fall apart really quick - anybody got some class recommendations?

It feels like any character without a good weapon on floor 1 is a giant pain in the rear end to play - maybe just grind alchemist?
I did it with demon hunter. Definitely scarf it up if you're looking to get the W asap.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That's just bizarre. How mich value does he think players are getting out of mid-combat drinking? Like consider the value that a flask speed bonus gives you vs basically anything else in game. It doesnt hurt me or anything its just so funny to see because so much of the game is so on point.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok I didnt read the notes. Nu soul scarf (only gives soul heart when you refill a heart) does actually encourage you to go into flask drink speed. It's still a potentially powerful accessory given that it doubles your flask value but it removes basically every abusive line you can take with it. I like the change.

Nature infusion makes perma infusion best trait in game probably.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's a huge drawback. How often is your best weapon an instrument? 1/20 runs? And the bard passives arent even good but it feels sad to not force your build into using them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is the dev data collecting? I feel like they're not, and thats not an insult to the game or anything it would just cause me to take player feedback very seriously.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Slotducks posted:

Nothing in their discord leads me to believe he's using data analysis for decision making.

To his credit, taking the feedback from the folks that take the steps to post in a discord dedicated to the game as not just noise is pretty good imo.
It is it's just so rare to see someone trying to balance without data these days. I think it may contribute to the game feeling good tbh.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh neat Secret Service (secret room on every floor) is actually pickable in the metaprogression tree now that the node before it went from a meta perk into a cinder modifier (lol). Smash and Grab, top 3 meta perk in game, is now right next to it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I think companions could really use a buff. I just did a run where I took every possible companion buffer, wound up with 5 of them in the end but I wouldn't say they were super helpful. My weapon still wound up being the main damage dealer. Maybe I just didn't hit the magic pickup/trait that makes the come together.

Also I have zero clue how you can possibly get the "beat death with 10 companions" achievement. I had 5 with room for a 6th.

did it and lol
I've never bothered with all-companion builds the math just doesnt work out, there arent enough scaling factors to get them close to your own damage.

I got that achievement with Ninja, who's definitely the easiest way to ger it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What exactly is that playstyle? Doing nothing and running in circles? I ask because I've played a dozen+ games at this point where people express disappointment that its not like D2 necromancer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Regular hero passive caps at 4 extra luck from goodness so that doesn't work (I tried). There are three or so achievements that are just "get the right superhero trait".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Red dice got buffed?? Well I'm not gonna complain.