Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

they had a UK top 10 single in 2003, which is fine, Time Is Running Out was a good tune, so they went poppier with BH&R in 2006, and they got two top 10 singles out of it

then I guess Bellamy just wanted to get a number 1 single after that b/c Muse's music just became far more commercially safe and far less interesting, so that sucked

I guess he thought, oh well, it worked for Jon Anderson in the 80s, so it'll probably work for our prog band too (they have not had a UK top 40 single in 11 years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

I think that tag as "the thinking man's rock band" plus the general, tone-deaf "uh... something about drones or surveillance, IDK?" lyrics together makes them seem very... Redditor coded, I guess?

essentially, they're Tool for people who don't like metal

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Radiohead were the biggest band in the UK in the mid to late 90s, playing radio friendly arena rock.

caveat to this: OK Computer wasn't exactly radio friendly arena rock, it just came out in the right place at the right time that it blew up like The Bends before it + they had three UK top ten singles from the album anyway

also, it's not like Kid A was a massive commercial failure, it was still a number one album in five different countries, just that they didn't have any singles and wasn't mainstream in the slightest, and like you said that was all by design