Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

massive spider posted:

I recall early muse (Showbiz to Absolution) critics used to make fun of their lyrics for being kinda meaningless. Like standard art school students diary stuff, lots of abstract imagery and a sense of angst but not much you can really definitively say they're about. But then around Resistance they started trying to write songs about the world and holy poo poo it was way better when their lyrics were about nothing.

Glenn Beck at one point declared them his favourite band which is the danger when you try and write politically but have no target except being anti general dystopian conspiracy paranoia and pro vague populism.

Also, late in their career they've been doing this thing where they take a genre/band and do a really tacky pastiche of it for one song and it never comes off as sincere tribute of the genre.

I think that's part of it, but a lot of their success around OoS can be attributed to the kind of neo-classical riffs they had against the backdrop of like nu-metal, toilet circuit post-hardcore and the first bubbles of landfill indie.

I think that tag as "the thinking man's rock band" plus the general, tone-deaf "uh... something about drones or surveillance, IDK?" lyrics together makes them seem very... Redditor coded, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Nah, they're Radiohead for the people that got lost with Kid A.

I remember hearing that a lot, but I don't heat it, at least outside of the debut.

Radiohead for STEM students instead of Politics & IR students, maybe.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Escobarbarian posted:

I think the Muse/Radiohead comparisons are ridiculous unless the only Radiohead song you’ve ever heard is Just

and I think Muse started sucking because Matt Bellamy is a lunatic who thinks Bush did 9/11

This could be a time/place thing, but I liked Origin of Symmetry when it came out. I even had the poster my record shop was going to throw out. It seemed to unite all the alternative kids a bit - a hand across the aisles between the metal kids and the indie kids.

Now, of course, the album came out 2001 and was still being spun a lot when 9/11 happened by DJs and on MTV2/Kerrang! It was a huge album! There was a gap in the market for indie fans and heavier music fans who wanted something a bit more progressive, since nu-metal was in full swing and Britpop had poo poo the bed.

I don't know if this is Muse's fault, exactly, but there's a vagueness to their lyrics that seemed to really suit the kind of guy you'd meet around that period who seemed cool because he was anti-war on terror or whatever, but turned out just to be a "durrrrr, government bad!!" guy.