Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

OldSenileGuy posted:

Just FYI, using your rules, Cunk on Earth is not eligible. It first aired in the UK in September of 2022, even though it didn't really get big until it went up on Netflix in 2023.

Cunk on Earth was going to make my top 10 :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m struggling to find a 10th show to put on my list with Cunk on Earth officially being released in 2022, but there is still time.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m a happy to see Ted Lasso get some love, I thought it made a really strong comeback in its last season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
One of the appeals of this thread for me is that we are talking about things we like. We don't have to agree with what the best shows are, but we can at least respect that we all like TV shows.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
2023 was not a great year of TV for me, and I had to struggle a bit to fill out the list. First a few shoutouts.

Cunk on Earth : was hilarious and would have made my list if it didn't technically come out in 2022.
The Nevers part 2: I'm an ex-Joss Whedon fanboy, but his schtick is still very much my thing. A new showrunner came on while Whedon was outed as a terrible person and the show felt completely different.
I didn't quite like it as much as previously, but it was good enough to mention.
The Crown: I am mentioning this purely because of the banger cover of "Things Can Only Get Better".
From: Season two felt frustrating and lacking, but From is still a good watch.
Upload: Still very underappreciated and marketed poorly, not as good as the previous seasons though.
Deadloch: Somehow The Kate's managed to make a comedy that wasn't funny, but as a detective mystery was not bad.

10. Such Brave Girls
A dark comedy about trauma, done in a way that only the British seem to be able to.

9. The Wheel of Time
When Wheel of Time was first announced, most fans of the books wondered how you could ever adapt the story to a TV format, and the answer seemed to be "You can't" and it was mostly a disappointment.
Season two was much improved, with more realistic fan expectations the showrunners managed to adapt the most important parts of the books.
There are still too few episodes, but that is how TV works these days.

8. Loki
Loki season 1 was one of the more underwhelming MCU TV shows, with Richard E. Grant stealing the show while the rest of the cast just meandered.
This season felt like things were getting into gear, a big emotional story where every episode felt like it was important, and the ending was the best for any MCU show.

7. Double Fine PsychOdyssey
As part of a crowdfunding goal for the game Broken Age, developers Double Fine made a documentary called Double Fine Adventure showing the highs and lows of making a video game, it was a very good documentary.
For Psychonauts 2 they decided to release a new documentary and it made the whole world wonder why anyone would ever want to make video games.
The creation of Psychonauts 2 is shown in such honesty, both the good and the very bad.

6. What We Do in the Shadows
Not quite reaching the highs of season 4, What We Do In the Shadows is still very good and mostly very funny.

5. Doctor Who
Chris Chibnall's run as showrunner of Doctor Who was not well received, though I still think it was better than most of Moffat did with Matt Smith.
But either way, Russell T. Davies came to the rescue with David Tennant returning as the Doctor.

The three Tennant specials were all good and became increasingly better. I will admit that I was skeptical about Ncuti Gatwa as the new Doctor.
A Doctor with a mustache? But the excellent christmas special proved all my fears wrong, and he is off to a great start.
And maybe the show will come out more than every 2-3 years?

4. Lockwood and Co.
A spooky show where ghosts suddenly appear and kids are the only ones who can see them, so they get trained for the incredibly dangerous task of destroying them.
I know some people didn't like it, and automatically scoff at YA without ever experiencing it. But this was an underappreciated show.

3. Blue Lights
A tv show about three probationary police officers in Northern Ireland, a compelling drama.

2. Ted Lasso
We all know that story, when Ted Lasso first aired everyone loved it. Then the writers decided that instead of a funny show about a football club,
they should scrap all the football, and focus on a bunch of minor characters nobody cared about, it was a disaster.

I think many people were wary about the third and final season, but while it still had some issues with boring side-characters taking too much time
it was mostly back to full form, telling funny and emotionally rewarding stories, and not being ashamed to admit that football is an essential background to the story.

1. Willow
Willow started off a little slow, and I don't blame anyone who dropped it, but they truly missed out.
Throughout 9 episodes the characters grew and evolved and by the end of the excellent closing scene you truly cared about all the characters
and the overall story. In a time where prestige TV shows get shorter and contain more and more filler, Willow was truly unique and my favorite show of 2023.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 21, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I changed my list again, sorry for the trouble

Oasx fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 21, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I re-posted my list in the forms since I changed my list.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Looten Plunder posted:

Countdown won't be happening on the 2nd so if there are any late lists that need to be posted - you can probably still sneak it in.

I'll let you know the locked in countdown date/time in the next 48 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
My highest rated show came in at #10 so 2023 wasn’t a great year of tv for me, but it’s always fun to see what other people pick.

Thanks for making the list as always, Looten. It’s a yearly highlight.