Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

10. For All Mankind - At one time, this was one of my favorite shows on TV. I watched the first episode of this season, maybe I'll watch more at some point. I just feel like they are running in circles now. When I watched the first episode, I couldn't remember what happened to Danny, and then realized I really didn't care. I loved the retro alt-history aspect of it, and now it just feels like generic space show. The alt-history montage was the only highlight for me.

9. Ahsoka - This show was pretty bad. I really struggled to fill out my list, past the Top 5 this year. Maybe it was the strike, maybe peak TV is over? Thrawn was great in the Timothy Zahn books, here is an absolute moron. To be fair, most of the characters act stupidly at all times. It looked nice, I suppose.

8. Monarch: Legacy of Monsters - This show started out rough and slowly built up to better than average. The use of both Russell's was clever and worked well. I enjoyed the 1950s timeline quite a bit more, and frankly, would've preferred a show that was just those characters. I found the modern ones to be pretty annoying.

7. Ted Lasso - At one time, this was my favorite show. Full stop. Unfortunately, it really went out with a whimper. It wasn't so much the case that I didn't like the places the characters ended up, but everything just felt hugely rushed. Like they knew where they wanted everything to end up and just nosed the plane into the runway and called it a series.
It still had some nice moments, Sunflowers would be in my top episodes of the series, but unlike the first two seasons, this one served up mostly mid-table episodes and a few howlers. We'll Never Have Paris comes to mind as a really poor effort.

6. Real Time with Bill Maher - Get off my lawn! Sorry, I'm an old Gen X goon and I really enjoy his humor.

5. Beckham - What if The Last Dance but football? Fantastic old footage, and a really nice mix of sport and entertainment/gossip stuff. They did a thing where they superimposed clips over the faces of people reacting to them. Fisher Stevens is a very talented director. Loved it.

4. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - It's a little distressing that I learn about so many distressing issues from this show. For my money, Oliver is the one who picked up the mantle from John Stewart when he left The Daily Show. It's funny, but it's serious.

3. Loki - Hey, look, Disney can still make a good Marvel show. I adored S1 and was hoping S2 would at least be decent. It was! Very satisfying ending, I hope they have the courage/resolve to leave it alone. The art direction on this show was AMAZING from start to finish.

2. The Last of Us - Never played the game, but was intrigued enough to check it out even though I've been over zombie-type content for a long time. There was fantastic world-building, some moment of real terror, and enough of a unique spin on the standard zombie formula to make it really interesting. Left Behind, with flashbacks to a fateful night in a mall was a real standout episode. And yes, that episode. Long, Long Time loving wrecked me. What a beautiful episode of television.

1Succession - House of the Dragon showed us really disconcerting look at a drawn out death. It was troubling to watch because it was very realistic. Succession gave as the same thing for a sudden death. One of my favorite shows of all time and it stuck the landing. I enjoyed that the show never let you forget that they were all bad people. There were a million lazy ways out and the writers avoided all of them and the cast knocked it out of the park. A triumphant final season and finale. Also, Fisher Stevens second appearance in my Top 10!

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Thanks Looten! I look forward to this every year.