Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I hope I made the deadline. Sorry for the rushed job on this!

Honorable Mentions:

Beef
Trigun: Stampede
Blue Eye Samurai
Murder at the end of the World
Loki S2
Party Down S3
What We do In the Shadows S5
Reservation Dogs S3 (still on season 2)
The Curse (haven't finished yet)

#10 Such Brave Girls

This one snuck it’s way onto my list thanks to the posters on the couch chat thread. This show is a very interesting take on the impacts of trauma caused by abandonment. That may sound serious but the show itself is very funny. The humor is smart, witty, gross, uncouth, and left me laughing out loud on many occasions. It’s an easy show to binge in a weekend and can’t wait to see if there is a next season.

#9 Silo

I love a good post apocalyptic setting and the feeling of confinement in stories. Silo did a great job of both of these while presenting an interesting mystery to chew on throughout the season. There were some b-plots I wasn’t in to but the pacing of the main story was told so well I had to buy the books just to see what happens. I’m looking forward to see how the show will adapt the books moving forward as I had some pretty big gripes about the second book.

#8 Scavengers Reign

I’m a huge sucker for that Moebius aesthetic. The story was pretty good, nothing spectacular, but my god those visuals are why you watch this show. The creativity it took to create that planet and all the flora and fauna is second only to something like Adventure Time. Looking forward to a second season!

#7 I Think You Should Leave – Season 3

What I find funny lies on opposite ends of the humor spectrum. To get me to laugh a show either needs to be really smart, sharp, and/or cleaver or really loving stupid and absurd. I Think You Should Leave is clearly the latter. By season three you think I would get sick of Tim screaming while dealing with an odd situation, but you would be wrong. Doggie door, pay it forward, the driving crooner, etc all had me busting a gut. The one odd thing about this show is that it gets better the more I see people quote it outside my initial viewing.

#6 Succession - Season 4

I know this is everyone’s number 1 or 2 show but I think I’m just tired of rich people complaining. I really appreciate where the season 4 took the show narratively, killing Logan early in the season. It really reinforced the all the main characters driving motivation. I do love how the three Roy children character arcs ended up at the same conclusion, despite their money and status, they are all worthless coddled pieces of poo poo with no real skillsets. Looking back at the whole series I can’t help but tip my hat to the writers for really kinda hiding in plain sight, the person who would end up being the CEO of the company. My man Tomelette. Since season one he was only character who worked his way up the corporate ladder.

#5 Barry – Season 4

As much as I gushed about Succession, I liked Barry more despite having some hang ups with season four, timeskip. There were a lot of great moments in this season. The ending was great. That shoot out in the prison was really good. I also really love the moment where Barry is picking out a bible sermon that would ease his conscience about premeditated murder. I love the characters, shot design, direction, and writing. This season maintained the quality of the last three and I’m really going to miss it.

#4 Somebody Somewhere – Season 2

I understand if you’re scratching your head, wondering why this show is as high on my list as it is. In terms of quality prestige television, is it better than Succession or Barry? No, it isn’t. But it’s my list and I love this show. This show is comfort food for me. It’s a coming of middle-age, low stakes, dramedy that’s easy to watch and relate to. It’s a nice reminder that wherever you end up, there is a community ready to accept you. This show is a delight!

#3 Game Changer – Season 5

Drop Out tv has really become the only streaming service worth the subscription fee to me and Game Changer, in my eyes, is its flagship show. The stuff they did this season, Shakespeare, karaoke, Sam Says, Escape Room, there really wasn’t a dud this season and I’m so looking forward to what Sam and his crew have in store for season 6. I think what I like most about Game Changer, and Drop Out in general, is the sense of ownership I feel. Sorta like how I feel about certain indie bands that no one pays attention to. It’s got this nice, elevated DIY feel to it that’s beyond what you would find on YouTube but not high budget enough to be on Netflix. The most important element to the show, that really makes it for me, are the rotating cast of Drop Out tv regulars that appear in each episode. It’s easy to develop a favorite. The creators do a great job of creating a game that plays to the strengths of the improv actors.

#2 The Bear – Season 2

Aside from an overall high quality show, there has to be a group of scenes or an episode that really leaves an impact on me for a show to make it to the top three. Obviously the episode that left the biggest impact from this season of The Bear was the Christmas episode. I mean holy poo poo. The only way it could have been more anxiety inducing would be if it were shot all in one take. I could say more but y’all have already touched on why this season was so good.

#1 Last Of Us

The story was already top notch in the game and didn’t need a lot of changes but the changes that were implemented made the story even better. The cast was great as was all the set design and writing. The reason is was my number one show of 2023 is because of the episode with Bill and Frank. At 80 minutes it could have been it’s own movie but It works so well within the confines of the show’s theme that I can’t imagine the episode without the rest of the show. It’s such a nice compliment to Joel and Ellie’s journey through out the season. Wonderful show! Having played the second game I’m eager to see people’s reaction to the second season. Game spoilers In my opinion they should play it off like the Last of Us is an anthology series and just focus on Abby’s journey leading up to her going golfing with Joel. Then season 3 can be about Ellie’s revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Thanks Looten! I always enjoy this list every year. I’m glad I was able to contribute.

Now to catch up on some shows I missed!