Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alternatives that didnt make it: Somebody Somewhere, Jury Duty, Physical 100, Such Brave Girls (i loving forgot about Loki, here's what I originally wrote about Such Brave Girls as my original number 10: "Raunchy and filthy in a new way, crafted in the emotional baby-talk of modern Twitter, it did a great job of creating characters that are uniformly selfish and you don't mind seeing put through the ringer, though there is a kernel of sympathy engendered by the family's mad scramble for material comfortability. It genuinenly went places that had me uncomfortably laughing and astonished that they got to, while still not being as rough a watch as say The Curse, where the awkwardness actually becomes painful.")

10 - Loki

Coming in at the bottom of the list but definitely still one of the best shows I saw this year, its a comic book property at its best, pure speculation unburdened with any notions of "reality" or common sense. The God of Lies becomes an agent of order to preserve his work place, world, and work mates. And it does so believably, making this arc makes sense through the ground it already covered and the journey Loki goes through the season. Which is a harrowing saga full of disturbing scenes of the universe falling apart, before it all comes together in a way that's perfect, Loki making the ultimate sacrifice for his "terrible purpose." In a scene that might be the most powerful of the year, at least for me, which is incredible to think of, the last scene in a Marvel property not only ending well, but satisfyingly enough to just stop there. A wonderful sci fi fantasy story.

9 - I Think You Should Leave

Going strong in its latest season, with far out ideas for sketches that seem to have taken a step in complexity, my favorite sketch show is still hilarious. The Doggy Door sketch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1pwyCl5ymE) or my favorite the Chaplin one (with a guy obsessed with silent comedy doing a tour of fratty colleges so frat dudes can yell at him) just left me guffawing as the sketch unwinds into two, three or more different comedy beats when any other sketch show would be happy with one. Another amazing season.

8 - Paul T. Goldman

A documentary show about a very strange man existing on several layers of irony, this show is an experience. Based on the wacked out fantasies of a man intent on lying to himself/become a famous actor, the show is based on a book, which is based on a hoped for movie, about this man hating his missing wife, who might or might not be missing. Complete with "re-imaginings" of that same book, the show is hilarious while also constantly reminding you that this is all from a person who exists, and may not be in the joke at all.

7 - One Piece

I never expected to list an anime, not to mention a live action version of an anime, on my top 10. Which is strange as a fan of anime, but it never comes to my mind for these types of lists, cataloging the best and most artfully made tv shows of the year. One Piece is different though, perhaps allowing its live action depiction to sand off some of the roughest and tropiest elements of its genre, while allowing amazing stunt choreography and insanely committed acting to fill in the spaces. It was a great rollicking pirate-y time which oftentimes had me questioning how they managed to create a great scene or confrontation, or in the end, a very satsifying season of TV.

6 - Scott Pilgrim Takes Off

So much for my non-inclusion of anime, though with its Western sensibilities, well-written script, and nuanced voice acting, it hardly feels like the norm. Its the best, most mature take on the Scott Pilgrim universe in any medium in my opinion, and its decision to examine how these characters grow after the less than sophisticated journeys to find love and themselves really struck a chord with me, especially as someone who has grown with the property. Its also hilarious as hell and a great action spectacle. What a great surprise.

5- Scavengers Reign

A welcome return to hard-edged speculative science fiction, brilliantly animated in a way I think might not be reproducible in any other medium (poo poo, I guess I really like anything anime related lol). Every minute is more chock-full of intense alternative non-Earth habitation, fauna, and flora that I often found myself pausing to just take it in. Towards the end of the season, every episode started with a Six Feet Under-like exploration of life and death that left me breathless and grateful for having witnessed it. Its human characters are unmistakeably adult professionals, regardless of what they had done previous to the events of the story, they are all doing their best to survive, firmly taking this show away from any pure horror/slasher realm to one where you are fully invested in their survival, easier said than done considering how loving aggressive and alien the planet they happened to crash on is.

4- Barry

Bringing it home after 4 seasons of some of the best black comedy TV has ever seen, it didn't gently caress up! It didn't gently caress up! A show with this amount of expectation stumbling in its last season/episode seems more natural than the alternative, how many shows actually end well? But this one did, by still being unexpectedly funny in the saddest circumstances, with characters like Barry, NoHo, and Sally whose personalities are so firmlly established now you can predict their actions, sadly. And by ending with a thesis that it holds to the end. Barry was horrible, and needed to die. And the show never swerved from that, the epilogue a nice reminder that these characters can move on from him.

3 - The Bear

TV's most intense (scripted) television show about cooking, the show took a leap into the unknown, as its characterss left behind the comfortable confines of the local sandwich spot to fancy restuarant land. Argue the worthwhileness of that step, you can't deny that it took some bravery to change so much of the restuarant, and the show itself, between seasons. It also allowed us a close perspective to see how challenging that could be, and an often thrill as you see the characters rise to meet it, improving themselves for their art. And some sadness, as you see that for some characters coughCarmencough it will never be enough. Superbly directed acted and written, every hour felt like an elevated episode of TV.

2 - Succession

Like a lot of properties this year, this was the final season of the show (man what are we going to do for shows next year?). A comedy drama hybrid ably handling our current alienation from financial elites by depicting yet never fully buying into the incredible lives and lifestyles of the world's 1 percent. Always focused on the corrupting effect of money in society and these character's lives, most of whom would likely be better off if they had never been born into so much of it, it ended its Shakespeare like saga well. King Lear is dead, his empire to be broken up by insurgent outside forces, his children, torn apart and from each other from the toxic environment emanating from its patriach and fully infiltrating into his children, sent into insignificance or whatever cast-offs of power thrown thier way. I don't know how they did it but they made a responsibly made and capitalist critique show that somehow made the billionaire life...seem pretty sad. And that's amazing.

1 - Reservation Dogs

In the year of amazing shows coming to a close, this one comes out on top. Personal, while other shows went big with their themes and views on society, this season closed the loop on the story of children becoming adults while (and maybe because of) their awareness and acceptance of death. Everyone dies, and everyone deals with it, eventually, yet I've never seen a show more intent on depicting the life that happens around and after death. The kids grew up, and became something that drew their community closer together, the response to the first episode and season's urge to escape held by many of its characters. You can leave home, but what makes it home is that you can always return to it. And they did, and surely will continue to, and the world's a better place that this show created characters nuanced strong enough for you to imagine that. An emotional roller-coaster that ends with catharsis. My favorite show of the year, and several others.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

I really want to finish Rez Dogs before I make my list, but this year has been emotionally devastating for me and I don’t know if I can handle it. The last two seasons made me cry and I worry this one will break me.

Yeah been there actually didn't watch the latest episode for ages because I was worried about being too devastated. But turns out it was funny and life affirming and warm as hell. And that any crying actually makes you feel better about everything. What a great show.

Btw I would have totally put Fargo S5 on my list which is absolutely killing it with its exceptionally tight metaphor this year, but unfortunately it's last 3 eps are gonna be in 2024. I guess I was worri3d that it would suddenly tank?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ended up watching Obliterated cuz of this thread. It owns. Surprisingly funny.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ah poo poo I'm a Virgo. I knew I forgot a show (and Blue Eyed Samurai)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Meatgrinder posted:

A man has started watching Fargo. A man hopes he can update his list before the new deadline.

Already submitted my lost otherwise this would be on my list, and really high.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

the deadline is in the future not the past. you can update your list.

I live by Vegas rules. The bet is in.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This wins the thread award for most shows I haven't seen yet seem intriguing. Thanks!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hell yeah this is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Again great job looten