Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Honorable Mentions
RuPaul’s Drag Race
– That Anetra vs Marcia Marcia Marcia lip-sync was amazing. AS8… not as much. Down Under S3 – rough.
Deadloch – Would have made the Top 10 if some of the characters weren’t insufferable. (The veterinarian wife for one).
Hilda – A beautiful ending for Hilda. A shame we had years between seasons. I’d happily watch more of this.
Adventure Time: Fionna & Cake – Did we need this? No. Was it enjoyable? Yes.
Bluey – If you have kids – watch this. If you don’t – watch it too. Who knew 7 minute cartoons about anthropomorphised dogs would be this good?

The List

10 – Mrs Davis – There were so many moments of, “What the gently caress did I watch?” Honestly, Betty Gilpin was great. I could have done with less of the husband though. It all wraps up in a satisfying way. But cripes, a Nun tasked by Jesus to stop a computer AI? Whoever came up with this…. They need to do more.

9 - Crazy Fun Park – So there’s an abandoned, cursed theme park filled with teen ghosts from across the decades. Of course, two besties have to go and check it out! A little bit Lost Boys, a bit of horror and some humour, it’s a heartfelt story. Plus Judith Lucy’s in it as a jaded teacher. What’s not to love?

8 – The Newsreader – Back for Season 2, The Newsreader continued its entertaining run. Anna Torv & Sam Reid are (surprise!) newsreaders in the 80s of Australia. Whilst the program retells key moments in Australian & world History whilst juggling the politics of the newsroom and their personal lives. Give it a go! It’s on the ABC.

7 - Poker Face – Natasha Lyonne is a treasure and watching her character of Charlie criss-cross the unseen facets of American life (& the subsequent murders/crimes) was fascinating television.

6 – Scott Pilgrim Takes Off – Ok, I’ll admit I was quite a Scott Pilgrim fan when the film came out. I absolutely loved that film. (The game was good too!) So it was a surprise to see an anime released so many years later. Especially with the original cast. The first episode left me cold, as a speedrun of the film essentially. But after the ending of the episode subverts expectations, I was in for the rest of the season. A great little series that gives this eclectic cast moments to shine (Not including Anna Kendrick).

5 – Abbott Elementary – Yeah. I’m more Jacob than I’d like to admit. But a funny & honest sitcom. Season 2 was just incredibly strong. I can’t wait for Season 3.

4 – Silo Did you say post-apocalyptic mystery? SIGN ME UP! Rebecca Ferguson is phenomenal in this series. I’m invested and want to see where Season 2 goes.

3 – Scavengers Reign Oh god if I ever land on this planet, I hope I’m someone locked in the life-support pods. Beautiful but absolutely terrifying. Everything was so alien and imaginative. The character development as they journeyed to their downed ship was so well executed alongside their fight for survival, peppered with some moments of introspection.

2 - The Last of Us. Even thought I’d played the game, this show was fantastic. I could have done with another episode or two so I could have spent more time with the wonderful cast and story. This was event television. Episode 3 was beautiful and heartfelt and left me in tears. What more can I say that hasn’t already been said?

1 – Schmigadoon

This delightful musical mash-up from Apple TV had Josh & Mel (two dating doctors) stumble into a living musical. Season 2 was set in Schmicago – a wonderful mash-up of Chicago, Annie, Sweeny Todd, Phantom of the Opera, Hair and more. This program left me with a smile week after week. It’s a shame it’s cancelled, but here, watch some of the songs! You’ll love it! Honest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wece6G6oIjc – Bells & Whistles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd4B0nIuaTc - Good Enough to Eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU