Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I’ve watched less TV this year than last, making me wonder if I should sit this year out

But then I remember that I have so many bad opinions that I’m compelled to inflict on all of you :getin:

Seriously though, after reading the “jumping off” list, I’ve actually seen more than I thought I had. Looking forward to compiling my top 10 soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Honorable Mentions
Eric Andre Show S6
Did you know this show was back? I feel like I didn’t hear anybody talk about it. Anyways it’s funny, y’all should watch it

Our Flag Means Death S2
Another one I didn’t see many people talk about. But I thought it was significantly charming and a decent second season. I liked it!

The Righteous Gemstones S3
The quality has been consistent since S1 and all the monster truck stuff in this season felt so perfect for Danny McBride’s character as a lil shitheen teen

How To with John Wilson S3
This maybe should have hit my Top 10 but it took me a full 3 weeks to remember that I had completely forgotten to include it on my list. I took that to mean that I guess it didn’t have quite the impact I thought it did? Love the show but the first two seasons stuck with me a lot more.

Dropout in general
Two Dropout shows were highly rated enough to make my list this year, but there are plenty more incredible shows on there: Make Some Noise, Gamechanger, the new show VIP, and so, so much good stuff in the backlog. I’m really happy to see Dropout shows appearing on people’s lists this year!

TIMPS LIST

10. Yellowjackets S2
“Women’s high school soccer team crash lands in the wilderness and resorts to questionable methods for survival.” That was all I needed to hear to give this show a shot. The first episode was like getting pistol-whipped across the face with 90’s teen drama, a heavy dose of realistic violence and anxiety, and lots and lots of female-led punk rock band needle drops. The rest of S1 was generally pretty gripping, and it did leave me wanting more. But what’s being evaluated here is S2, not S1. It’s hard to separate them since I watched them back to back this year, but there’s no denying that S2 saw a bit of a quality drop, and it’s definitely gotten a bit more, uh…outlandish. It’s no surprise this is a Showtime show because it actually gives me strong early-run Dexter vibes. Here’s hoping it either knows when to quit while it’s ahead, or escapes the fate of producer meddling that apparently doomed its spiritual predecessor.

9. Um, Actually S8
Returning to my Top 10 list this year and even moving up a spot, it’s the game show of pedantic corrections! Um, Actually, to me, is THE 2nd screen show. The question-by-question format allows you to engage with the questions pertaining to stuff you find interesting and tune out any unknown properties or bits that aren’t landing without missing too much. But it’s consistently funny! The only reason I feel okay with zoning out every now and then is because I know I’ll rewatch it all one day, and it’ll be a fun treat to catch the odd segment I have no memory of. All in all I hope they never stop making this show in some form or fashion.

8. Dimension 20: Mentopolis
This made it onto my list for two reasons, and I’m not sure which one is the more prominent. One is that I watched less TV this year, so the more traditional shows of 2023 that I’m sure I would have liked weren’t here to take these Top 10 spots. The other reason is that this series was really loving good. I’ll admit I feel a bit weird about putting this non-standard quasi-web series on a list of TV shows, but I’ll be damned if it didn’t come out on a legit streaming service (Dropout) in episodic format. If that’s not a TV show idk what is! For those not familiar with Dimension 20, it’s a tabletop RPG actual play show hosted by DM Brennan Lee Mulligan and featuring various comedians, writers, podcasters, etc. as the player characters. This particular season was billed as “Inside Out meets noire tropes” which, lemme tell ya, is RIGHT the gently caress up my alley. And then they went ahead and knocked the story out of the park, so here it is at #8! I’m just as surprised as you are.

7. Barry S4
Much has been said about the brilliance of this show. The writing, the acting, the directing, the way they admirably wrapped up the plot in a satisfying way…it was all great.

6. Jury Duty
I’m a sucker for this new genre of show pioneered by the likes of Nathan Fielder, John Wilson and others—comedy that blurs the lines between scripted and unscripted, reality and documentary, face value and meta. The premise of this show (one member of a jury thinks the case is real while every other person involved is an actor) carried it to the end, but it was the scripted moments that kept it alive from scene to scene. It was often difficult to tell what was written and what was improvised, but I didn’t really care as long as I was laughing, which I often was. And they avoided one of the basest impulses of a show like this, which was to make fun of the person not on the take. In fact, they went out of their way to celebrate him, which was a nice way to cap off the series. And I don’t consider that a spoiler since obviously the reveal is a big part of the appeal to this show and always had to be a part of the package. Knowing that they’re not mean about it (unlike its ‘00’s predecessor Joe Millionaire) was what convinced me to check it out.

5. I Think You Should Leave S3
Another show that I watched all of for the first time in 2023, so I kind of feel like I’m rating the whole show as opposed to just the latest season. That being said, I’ve watched the whole show twice now, and was very surprised to hear my wife ask if we could check this show out together after showing her a particular clip akin to a comment she made “I have SO MUCH stuff on my phone” And since that’s the very first sketch of S3, that’s got to count for something, so here it is in my top five.

4. Paul T. Goldman
One of those shows that wouldn’t even have been on my radar if not for goons, and that’s why I love lurking (and occasionally poo pooposting) on these forums. It’s another one of those reality-line-blurring shows like Jury Duty, but it gives me more of a “Helldump in the late ‘00’s” kind of vibe than “Joe Millionaire” (though both can be accurately summed up as “mean”) Yeah it’s a little mean, sure, but just like, get a load of this guy! He loves that we’re watching him so who cares if we’re actually kind of laughing at him a little bit! Doesn’t he deserve it? Well, I’m still not sure. Maybe? But I can’t deny that I get a kick out of watching it. I’m glad a show like this exists, and I hope it serves as a lesson to live your life in the sort of way that you could never unwittingly become the subject of a mockingly-made documentary and sarcastic adaptation of your life and life’s work, respectively.

3. Scavengers Reign
It seems like there needs to be at least one banger of an animated series to pop onto my radar out of nowhere every year—Castlevania, Invincible, Primal, and now Scavengers Reign. So much has been written about this already and I don’t have much more to add, I think. It’s a really cool show and you should probably check it out! Okay?!

2. Fargo S5
I started putting my list together at the end of Dec, then sorta got lazy until now when I’m finally finishing it up and posting it. But even back in Dec when this series had several more episodes before its finale, I had it at #3. I felt like I had seen enough of the characters and reacted to enough of the story to know that I was very into this season of Fargo. It was the only show (besides #1) that was appointment viewing for me in 2023. Then the finale came and punched me right in the face and I had to move it up a spot.

1. Succession S4
Fuuuuck. Now THAT’S how you end a series. Every character stayed true to themselves while still showing the ability to change (very seldom for the better), and every moment felt so true to life. And the fact that I’m even saying that is loving ridiculous because I don’t think I’ve ever been in even one situation OR location that any one of the characters appeared in throughout the entire series because I’ll never be as ultra-rich as they are. But somehow that doesn’t matter, because it still felt so real despite all that. I believed every bit of it. And to truly cement that #1 spot, let’s not forget the episode on the boat. gently caress.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Andrew_1985 posted:

Bluey – If you have kids – watch this. If you don’t – watch it too. Who knew 7 minute cartoons about anthropomorphised dogs would be this good?

gently caress I meant to include this in my honorable mentions as well, great shoutout. My daughter loves this show and it’s honestly ridiculous how often it has made me tear up