Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

New shows that aired this year (Can't guarantee these are all accurate - I just took the Polygon Top 50 shows of the yar and deleted ones that I recognised as not new.

Colin from Accounts

The entirety of Colin From Accounts originally aired in 2022, so it isn't edible for the 2023 poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

I think it's to do with it coming to Paramount+ in 2023. It only aired in December '22 for Aussies. I'd say it's eligible.

Uh, I dunno about that one. I'm pretty sure we've enforced this rule in the past:

Looten Plunder posted:

:siren:VOTING RULES:siren:
1. Every show you pick must have had a first time airing in its country of origin in full or in part during 2023. This could be a network show, a cable show, an online show, a TV movie (not movies from streaming services), it could even be a Youtube thing if you're down with what the kids are calling 'it'.

...though I can't think of any instances off the top of my head.

Also if we drop that rule then we're going to have problems e.g. Fleishman Is in Trouble suddenly becoming eligible, since it didn't air in some parts of the world until this year.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it was probably the most promising of all the channel's originals. The characters were a bit broad, but by the end I thought they were very appealing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Honestly I thought the deadline was always January 31st

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wanted to do a bigger thing with pictures, but I lost the notepad file I was using when the fuse box randomly overloaded so you have my lovely wiring to thank for saving you from all of that.

Caveats: The Curse isn't on this list because it partly aired in 2024, but if I wasn't holding myself to that dumb rule then it would be at #1. Everyone should watch The Curse. Also I didn't finish Blue Eye Samurai yet, because my TV watching group is slow. :/

Also I watch a gently caress load of shows. The following list is mostly just arbitrary categorization based on my preferences, all the following things are basically awesome and I'd recommend them regardless of where they are on the list. It was a good year for TV.

25. Hello Tomorrow!
Best dialogue on TV, except Succession (not appearing in this list), which is proof that nice dialogue will only take you so far. I wish a lot of other things had pushed their concepts further, but it was pretty good and I loved some of the cast so so much. Deserves a second season to really soar.

24. Doctor Who Season 14(?)
IT'S DOCCY WHO. It's dumb but I love it. Also the Torchwood radio series had an excellent year and that's basically a TV show but also that won't ever count for obvious reasons but I need to mention them to everyone because they're really loving good.

23. Foundation Season Two
Huge improvement on the previous one. Some great fights and excellent jokes / characters / arcs. Complete loving nonsense, of course.

22. YOU Season Four
Lovely didactic scene at the start of the season in defense of pulp fiction. Largely more of the same, but that same is really good and fun. Really looking forward to the final season (next year?)

21. Essex County
Very sweet, without being cloying, supported by strong visual storytelling and one of the year's best musical scores (for a show). Nothing here is original, but it's the kind of solid drama that's absolute loving catnip for me.

20. Paul T. Goldman
There's something about this that feels exploitative, and continues to confirm my bias against watching true crime and its adjacents. This is a very good example though, very funny and tightly constructed, with a strong humanist narrative evolving out of the last episode. One of the more interesting Fielder knockoffs.

19. Silo Season One
A pair of shaky, overcomplicated early episodes give way to some very strong worldbuilding and thoughtful characterisation, as the nature of the setting is slowly determined to the viewer. Jules is a very likable hero, and there's two action sequences in this season that made me gasp. The central mystery is pants, but that's not the show and it's all the better for it.

18. The Horror Of Delores Roach Season One
A funny, squirmy adaptation of Sweeney Todd with some very fun performances. Justina Machado should be in everything, and Cyndi Lauper should act more.

17. Deadloch
A well observed comic skewering of a load of far too relatable people and storytelling conventions, and a decent murder mystery to boot. Fascinating watching people not familiar with these types talk about how annoying they are. Yeah, they loving are, eh.

16. Killing It Season Two
More of the same from the first season, but that season was really good and also too loving short!!! The moments this comedy thriller tips over into queasy horror-adjacent material are still a loving great, brutal trick. Dot-Marie Jones and Melanie Fields should be in more things.

15. Minx Season Two
Some really well constructed episodes built into a strongly constructed season, IMO only beaten in terms of structure by the next thing in the list. Love the characters; Bambi 4Eva. Too short!!!!

14. Party Down Season Three
Just really funny. A near perfect continuation of a great show that hadn't aired in at least a decade, only this time with higher quality mics.

13. Adventure Time: Fionna And Cake
Pushes the Adventure Time thang further than before, but in ways I found really rewarding. Great animation, good vibe, smart stuff.

12. The Gallows Pole
It's a fantasy epic about dudes stealing money, but it's shot like an improv comedy lending the entire thing a great, fun vibe. Why is it only three episodes long, where is the rest of it???

11. BEEF
Too many fake out deaths. But really great performances and jokes in a show that builds and builds to something fairly powerful. The church scene keeps popping up on my socials, and I can see why people keep talking about it, but there are a bunch more like it throughout.

10. Pantheon Season Two
Not as good as the first season, but still pretty loving good! Good fights, strong characters, some unexpected plot twists (the one in the second episode is seriously underappreciated). The final episode felt a little pat, but I even like that on the whole.

9. I'm a Virgo
Half a show! But a whole bunch of interesting ideas that show what comic books -- and comic book TV series -- could be if they wanted to actually do something interesting IMO. Great performances and a great bric-a-brac of things, mashing up Hans Christian Anderson with a plot based on that banned episode of Pokemon. I could probably talk about this show for hours.

8. Such Brave Girls
Made me laugh more than anything else in a long while. A pretty tight satire that just gets it.

7. Dead Ringers
Weird and funny (really funny) and confusing and absolutely refuses to give up what the gently caress is actually going but I think everyone on the show might be crazy??? I had no idea what any given episode would be about. Rachel Weisz is really good, but so is Rachel Weisz, but then Susan Blommaert comes in for two scenes and eats them both alive. The rooftop drug sequence would probably propel the show into the top ten all by itself.

6. The Other Two Season Three
Strong ending to the show. Had a lot of fun with how this season played with tone. I laughed a lot.

5. DAVE Season Three
The Jane Levy episode is so good! The Anne Frank episode is so good! It's all really good. Except Dave. Dave sucks and deserves to be alone.

4. Scavenger's Reign
Really loving scary, with some great art and a lot of lovely nonverbal storytelling. I've got a friend who hates nonverbal storytelling because it means he can't wander around in the kitchen cooking dinner, or hop on discord, when the show is airing! He is WRONG and DUMB. But even he had to admit that this was pretty good (he only watched four episodes though).

3. Blindspotting Season Two
Might have had its budget cut, which means fewer cool dance numbers. But there are a lot of those, and a really fun fight scene involving strippers. Too short!!! TOO CANCELLED!! Grrrr. This cast was lovely and believable and everyone got good stuff to do. The Joe Taslim episode was a bit of a dud though hey.

2. The Great Season Three.
The best ensemble cast on television, telling a really strong story about dumb liberals thinking that they can be monarchs and also be good. Turns out you can't! Some really emotional scenes in the back half of the season, paying off three seasons of slow but steady plot development very, very well. Excellent example of long form storytelling which is probably why it is CANCELLED. Should probably be my #1 all things told..

1. Fired On Mars
Best thing on TV last year. Don't @ me. :colbert:

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 29, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Look, it's probably a super marmite show, a bunch of the goons in the adult animation thread didn't like it. FWIW it took me a hot minute to vibe with and all. But I laughed and was surprised and a little uncomfortable and two episodes made me cry, and by the end I thought it had a really strong arc. I really really liked it, and thought about it a lot since.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Raspberry Bang posted:

#10 Such Brave Girls

This one snuck it’s way onto my list thanks to the posters on the couch chat thread.

:boom:

(good list)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Pencil in Tuesday @7PM PST for the countdown.

giggity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Levin posted:

Thanks to the thread I discovered, and thoroughly enjoyed, Fired on Mars and Mrs. Davis so far. I plan to get around to Scavenger's Reign and Poker Face at some point too.

Ayy! Mad. This is what I love about the thread, finding new poo poo to watch that I'd never otherwise check out. Or, occasionally, getting the kick up the arse to check out things I didn't bother with but got the goon seal of approval.

e.g. this is reminding me that I still need to check out Poker Face.