Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Escobarbarian posted:

Does this thread have a rule about not criticising other people’s choices?…….it does. poo poo.

my dude, lemme introduce you to a thread that partially helped save my sanity

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4046084&pagenumber=43&perpage=40

i agree that the best of threads should be a safe space to gush about poo poo you like without blowback. i'm a certified, licensed, hater of popular poo poo and i hold back. go into that thread and let loose lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i would love to participate so my votes would count towards the official tally, but i only watched about 6 shows this year. a few of which are eligible by OP standards bc they had seasons this year, but i didn't actually watch the most recent seasons.

there's no way i'm gonna be able to squeeze more shows in by the deadline, and i don't wanna force it, so i'm just gonna take some time to think about the few shows i did watch and post some words about them sometime this week.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

shows i watched this year but not the season's that aired this year:

succession - seasons ~1.5
i know this is mostly the frontrunner in this thread and elsewhere in the zeitgeist of prestige tv. for a little bit of it, i was on board. but as i got into the halfway to 2/3rds point of season 2, i fizzled out. it felt like everything was going to keep repeating where someone gets close to the top and then some Unexpected Thing happens and the dynamics shift all over again with this big roller coaster ride i just didn't feel was realistic enough to keep me engaged.

barry - season 1
i was convinced for a long time, with no real backup and just my gut intuition, that this show was undeserving of the hype. i had seen the first episode years ago around when it first aired and was unimpressed. but then i kept hearing buzz about it so decided to give season 1 a try. i was happy to be somewhat wrong about it overall; it was fine-to-good. some characters/situations were really boring and uninteresting or straight up bad for me, but there was a good amount of it that i felt intrigued by. basically every time barry was involved with the acting group, i was interested. and then it went back to the whole hitman thing and i was bored. i also hate noho hank. the finale was cool, and i went to start season 2 but basically immediately lost interest in the loop.

shows i watched this year where the season i watched aired this year:

the last of us - season 1
this is at the bottom of my list because, while it's a good/faithful/interesting recreation of the game, i already know all the story beats and there was basically nothing in the show to hold my interest enough to really intrigue me. the episode with ron swanson, the arcade episode, and the ones with the cannibals are the standouts. i forgot basically everything else that happened because everything's already solidified in my head from the narrative of the game. i'm definitely interested in season 2 and beyond, though.

i think you should leave - season 3
the one show i was actually really anticipating returning (and the only show on this list where i didn't just watch the first season). i love quoting this with my friends and seeing all the memes and ways the absurd poo poo comes up naturally when you're having a regular conversation and a line from the show pops in your mind and you start laughing to yourself. everyone else has already said everything there is to say about it so yeah, it's great stuff. i'm so happy it exists. and i love telling people to watch it and then hearing that they tried it and hated it/didn't get it.

blue eye samurai - season 1
someone at work brought this show up, and i had heard a bit here and there online about it. i figured it would be decent-to-good, but when i started watching, i was basically immediately hooked. it held my interest the entire time, and is the one show on this list where i couldn't wait to get home from work so i could just sit and watch. the main character was almost a cliche in the sense of being unstoppable in the name of their pursuit but was treated with enough depth to be satisfyingly unique. all the supporting characters contributed nicely to the narrative and kept things interesting. i like the zig zags the narrative takes a bit when you expect it to do one thing and instead it does another (no spoilers). i'll be a day 1 watcher of season 2. i really thoroughly enjoyed this a ton and am sad my list won't count bc i'd like to give it points.

the curse - season 1
as of this writing, i still have 2 episodes to finish before i'm done with the season, but i've seen enough to declare bennie safdie a bonafide genius. during the first episode and a half or so, i was convinced the show was slow, weird, crap and too weird for me, but something compelled me to keep going and everything just clicked after a certain point. i almost stayed up way too late last night to finish the last two episodes but i would be a total zombie today if i did, so now i am just gonna race home and do nothing else but marathon these episodes for 2 hours and watch this poo poo show unfold. i can't wait to see what's gonna happen, and i will watch anything bennie safdie's name is attached to at this point.

the above is all a bit vague and only talking about how i react to the story and nothing necessarily about how/why it works for me, so let me at least try and say something more concrete: the way the show examines these extremely vapid and self sabotaging characters is, as far as i've ever seen, such an interesting and (forgive me for using this phrase) "realistic" portrayal of just how hosed up people can be. i knew this show was special when bennie's character wakes up and realizes he took the keys from underage kids who he bought alcohol for and plays it up like he did them a favor. the amount of mental gymnastics going on in each character's head is just staggering and refreshing to see portrayed in this light. the soundtrack is excellent and fits the theme of the show, and the title card is always a joy to watch unfold when, in every episode, you know it's signaling/highlighting some hosed up turn of events.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

might reactivate my netflix subscription that i just canceled to watch beef and maybe scott pilgrim

e: and *maybe* i'll bother finishing succession since everyone seems to be singing its praises

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

In classic fashion - I'm going to extend this for a few days

:siren:New Deadline is Midnight Jan 31st:siren:

Tentative results/reveal will be 10PM EST on Fri 2nd

i feel like marathoning a few shows so my votes are officially eligible and then the curse can get the recognition it deserves

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the deadline is in the future not the past. you can update your list.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

is this still happening?

am i the only one around here who gives a poo poo about the rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

10. The Curse
9. The Curse
8. The Curse
7. The Curse
6. The Curse
5. The Curse
4. The Curse