Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Just in time I guess

10: Wrestlers
Such a fascinating look into small time wrestling and while it could just have been making fun of some yokels you end up with an immense respect for their drive and dedication.

9: Siren: Survive The Island
Ever since discovering The Genius here on TVIV the Korean game shows have fascinated me. It kind of feels like a planned promotion of South Korea where everyone is super smart (Genius, Devil's Plan, Crime Scene), hot (Single's Inferno but also every other show), tough (The Soldiers on Youtube, Physical 100, this one) while also being classy, polite, erudite and nothing like the drama explosions in Western reality shows. While Physical 100 is the better show the producer meddling revealed afterward soured me on it. S:STI does things differently, not only are all the teams women but everyone also gets paid the same regardless of their performance on the show. In the show, teams of four cops, soldiers, firefighters, athletes, stuntwomen and bodyguards are put on a small island to compete in challenges and daily raids on the other teams' base to capture their flag. The concept does not really work too well but I found the dynamic between the teams very compelling, especially how the soldiers and firefighters started hating each other which was refreshing after so many shows get boring because everyone likes and respect each other so much or feels like they have to act like they do. It was also interesting to see the character of the teams come out in how they acted. The cops were arrogant and everyone ganged up on them immediately. The firefighters were super agressive while the soldiers tried to be sneaky spies. The bodyguards were almost completely invisible and the athletes just treated it like a bit of fun training as their advantages in strength and training carried them to victory.

8: The Diplomat
Putting Keri Russel and Rufus Sewell together is a simple recipe for entertaining TV. It's not the most well written or groundbreaking show but hell if I was not enjoying every second of it.

7: The Last of Us
This is a weird one, I loved it but have no desire to watch it again or watch season 2. Maybe if it was not acted, written and made so incredibly well it would not have made me feel so bad at the end.

6: Murder At The End Of The World
Again a show carried by the leads. Emma Corrin is incredibly captivating to watch and the whole cast is stacked with quality in a mystery that ends in an odd way but makes sense looking back at what happened.

5: Barry
Oh Barry, you are so weird and wonderful and I will miss you. Give Bill Hader a bag of money for whatever he wants to do next and I'll be there for it.

4: Mrs Davis
This came out of nowhere with the craziest premise and a mad plot to make Barry look mundane. This is one of those shows (like Severance) which the creator must have been polishing it in their head for 10+ years to come with everything perfecly figured out, I hope they are not asked by the studio to make a show just as good in two years which then turns out to be terrible. Or maybe just average and everyone will go 'what happened?'

3: Blue Eye Samurai
Like Arcane, a phenomenal looking animation/CGI mix from France. Episode 5 is my favourite episode of this year of anything, the usage of bunraku performances to bridge the massive fights and extensive backstory is brilliant.
Great voice work as well with Randall Park standing out as being whiny and sinister in equal parts.

2: One Piece
How???? After so many poor live action animation adaptions they suddenly knock it out of the park like this one. Maybe it was what Honest Trailers said: Change Nothing, no matter how ridiculous and trust your cast to sell it, be it a clown with only a head and feet, a hero made of rubber or a pirate wielding a sword twice his size.
Having basically the Black Sails set crew to make everything must have helped too, everything looks great.

1: Successsion
A show made by Serious People. Nothing came close in quality of the writing, acting and every aspect of the production down the the make and model of car a Roy would be driven around in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU