Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Bookmarked and replied so I don't forget to work on and submit my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

E: list updated due to extension.

I filled out the Google form but here is all shows I watched in 2023.

Crap I tried watching but couldn't get through or wouldn't recommend.

Arcane
Beef
Dead Pixels
Dead Ringers
Justified: City Primeval
Killing it
Love and Death
Miracle Workers
Mythic Quest
Pantheon
Secret Invasion
Silo
The Other Two
The Swarm
Yellowjackets

Stuff I liked but didn't make the cut, in no particular order

American Born Chinese Another retelling of Journey to the West. A bit bland at times, but still a fun watch.
Avenue 5 Surprised this got a second series. While I enjoyed it, it wasn't exactly ground breaking. It got canceled after this though.
Black Mirror I really enjoyed most episodes of this instalment though none really jumped out like they did in previous series. As well made as always though.
Extraordinary This is just a bit better than run of the mill. The Hitler gag is insanely funny to me. Hope to see much more of this world and its stories.
Gen V Spin off of The Boys, which did not stick to its guns, which I think is a shame. Would have been great if it hadn't folded into the main story of The Boys.
Katla Slow TV that wasn't as much about the mystery as it was about what assholes people are - all people. Great watch.
Lucky Hank Picked this up on a suggestion from the bingewatch thread and found it very enjoyable, though at times somewhat muted where it could have sparkled. Great performances though.
Marvelous Mrs Maisel Didn't like the timeskip flash back stuff. Still, a good send off for a great show that I enjoyed over the years.
Minx This could have taken a lot more risks but settled for a comfy sitcomy feel, which is still very enjoyable but not exactly pushing any envelopes considering the subject matter.
Mrs Davis Fairly amusing but ultimately forgettable.
Never Have I Ever Loved the gimmick with the narration from the get go, and it wrapped up nicely in its final series. Lovely to see a teen drama whose tone and characters are so refreshing.
Only Murders in the Building This is starting to feel like a guilty pleasure: it never really falls off but at times it doesn't quite pull things together, either.
Primo Very sweet very uncomplicated fun TV.
Shadow and Bone Another show that had to wrap up after two series, but did so very well. A shame, it was a better series than the first, and I really like the world and the characters.
The Last of Us Never played the game, not a fan of zombie media, but this had a few strong episodes.
The Mandalorian More Good Star Wars. Enjoyable, even if it's not exactly memorable.
Upload I find this more enjoyable as it goes on. It still has slapsticky moments, but the story is really picking up.
Warrior The latest instalment in Bruce Lee's unrealized dream. It got canceled after this series but I feel it said all it had to say.
Wednesday Much hyped and very entertaining, but I enjoyed the original Adam's Family more.
Koala Man A great Aussie cartoon. Very funny.
Letterkenny Farewell to a relentless series that would just not stop doing its own thing. Nice send off to all the characters.
Lockwood & Co Got canceled but I found it charming enough.
Scavenger Reign A trippy cartoon with a whole bunch of body horror and organic stuff that really, really isn't my thing. Very derivative style and storywise, too.
Shrinking Fairly bland and handles fairly serious subject matter in a very nonchalant way.
Solar Opposites I still watch this cartoon because of the side stories - The Wall and Silver Cops. Wasn't bothered by the change of VA.
The Afterparty I'll be honest: I don't remember this. And that's probably the most honest review I can give.
The Changeling Loved the horror / fantasy of this, but couldn't really get on board with the characters and story.
The Watchful Eye Got canceled but found this very bingeable, in a guilty pleasure sort of way.
This fool Slipped down my list as it progressed. Bit too cringey now.
White Lotus I look forward to the next instalment of this show, without that horrible character which I can't loving stand.
Willow This did not have to get canceled. It showed great promise, but got swallowed up in some bullshit with the studio having to write off some stupid rear end flopped movie or something.
The Nevers Holy poo poo they actually aired the back half of this show. Another one that absolutely did have to get canceled over some bullshit, it was imaginative and enjoyable and well made.

The List

1 Barry Such a great show from start to the very finish. Every time a series dropped I was amazed at how well made it was, how they pulled it off yet again, taking such a simple concept and making impressive, fun TV with it.
2 The Bear I will say it, I was worried for the first few episodes. Turns out the show was just taking measure before coming down with a huge rear end kicking. Didn't exactly match the first series, but missed only by an inch.
3 Fargo I am going to assume I'd want to put this on the first spot because I have only just finished it. I think it belongs here. I have admired every series of Fargo but this one felt special: as if the creators were having more fun making it, enjoying digging into other series of Fargo and other movies of the Coen Brothers, slapping frankly pitch perfect tunes on nearly every scene and focusing so clearly on each character that they did not need any explanation: their ridiculousness, greed, entitlement and also redemption speak for themselves. Truly wonderful.
4 I'm a Virgo All I am going to say here is: watch it. If you haven't watched it, watch it. Don't read up on it. Just jump in. Cheers!
5 Slow Horses Gary Oldman is just such a treat. He can play literally anything. It's not like he's carrying the show - it's got a good roster of actors and good writing - but he's just such a joy to watch.
6 Swarm I look forward to anything Donald Glover makes ever. The horror, the absurdity, and the sheer groundedness of Swarm is amazing.
7 Our Flag Means Death A brilliant second series which neatly wraps up the story. Loved every minute of it. The Calypso's birthday episode is the peak for me, personally, just such a beautiful show.
8 Inside No 9 Every year I am flabberghasted these men can conjure up another series of plays set inside number 9. It's not all high hitters but the sustained quality throughout the years, every time, is remarkable.
9 Godfather of Harlem I love shows that give me insight in parts of history that were, not even glossed over but just blatantly not covered when I was in school, and this dramatisation of Harlem's struggling drug baron goes as straight into my veins just as the heroin he deals.
10 Doom Patrol A super hero show where the main superpower is group therapy. I loved following these unique characters, portrayed so incredibly well, struggle and strive and overcome the enemy within.
11 Deadloch Gotta love Aussie TV. Not a perfect story but the casting and acting were great, and just very enjoyable to watch.
12 Shoresy This is the show Keeso always wanted to make: he loves Canadian ice hockey, and Shoresy shines where Letterkenny was flawed.
13 Loki Didn't expect this to have a good second series after the drek that got rolled out since its first series. Pleasantly surprised at the result.
14 Poker Face There's a lot going on in this show: it's not just Columbo, I see Burn Notice and Quantum Leap and what not. Very suited to Natasha Lyonne's mannerisms.
15 For all Mankind Wasn't on board for the first two episodes but it picked up after that. I was worried the further it goes from known history the worse the stories would become, but it was compelling and well made - again. The Russian did bother me though.
16 Carnival Row They had to wrap this up in the second series but it came to a satisfactory conclusion.
17 Cabinet of Curiosities I wish there were more TV shows like this, much like the short stories I used to collect of early horror/fantasy/sci-fi authors.
18 Ahsoka More Good Star Wars. Enjoyable, even if it's not exactly memorable.
19 The Devil's Hour I'm not for thrillers but goddamn I love me some Peter Capaldi. His best work since The Thick of It.
20 What We Do In The Shadows The gift that keeps on giving.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 28, 2024

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

A man has started watching Fargo. A man hopes he can update his list before the new deadline.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Updated my list. Do I have to send in another Google Form too? Will it overwrite the one I filled out originally?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

I've updated the Google form.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Yay

Thanks in advance for your amazing work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

It's always so great to see how diverse our viewing habits and appraisals of shows are. Thanks a ton for putting this together yet again Looten!