Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
10. Scavengers Reign: The most beautiful show on TV last year is a new animated show that was released out of nowhere. Has any show ever reached the same sense of "alien"?

9. Telemarketers: Although it peters out by the end without a satisfying conclusion, you really have to love the first half of this show's amateur investigation of call center improprieties. I think every documentary tries and fails to find a leading character as intriguing as Pat Pespas.

8. How to With John Wilson: The world was not good enough to let a show as singularly weird as this one to survive. John Wilson lets his initial question become enormous real-world shaggy dog stories speaks to the bizarre connections between unrelated, hilarious events. You really have to keep an open mind as John takes the question "How to Work Out" to visit a Pumpkin Growing competition, a cat show, a discussion on a 9/11 hijacker, and a literal gooncave (no, not this forum's version of goon, the other one). I know never to say "never" but we may never get another show like this ever again.

7. I Think You Should Leave: We are blessed that Tim Robinson shows up once a year with six 15-minute episodes crammed full of his over-the-top sense of humor and wisely not a minute more. One day, Tim Robinson sketches will become expected and familiar but this year is not the year. I can't explain why, but a cigar and hat painted on a car window was the funniest scene on TV I've seen all year.

6. Barry: Relative to other shows on my list, Barry had higher highs and lower lows. But those highs are more than worth your time as Barry's life story catches up with him.

5. Fargo: Season Two of Fargo may be my favorite season of TV ever, with Seasons 1 and 3 not far behind. I'd rank Season 5 behind those three seasons but, by overall TV standards, would still mean Season 5 is still one of the best shows you can watch. It's a return to form and style but not quite a return to the same level of quality. A man is still thankful for more Fargo.

4. Succession: Few shows put as much emphasis on an expected final question as Succession's "Who will succeed Logan Roy?" Season Four's episodes are consistently great and full of acid-tipped snide comments that must've made a fun writing exercise. But we're all waiting patiently for the Succession news that will sum up the sad lives of this pathetic family and especially it's children. The happy review is that the show sticks the landing, especially the pinnacle moment, placing everyone into a conclusion worthy of their character. Although it wasn't my top-ranking show of the year, no show threaded the needle of comedy and drama better than Succession.

3. The Righteous Gemstones: The funniest show on TV cannot be stopped, much like a giant monster truck with a novelty horn. Danny McBride was only practicing his craft before he landed on Televangelists as a topic, and I hope he never falters.

2. The Bear: The characters might be the same, but everything else this season of The Bear is an enormous change from Season one. Instead of the adrenaline-pumping daily emergencies of a small sandwich shop, the cast now tackles a bigger fundamental change and long-term goal of a fine dining restaurant. The pace may be slower but following the cast you last remember screaming at each other find easy to learn and adapt is a beautiful journey.

1. Beef: You won't find a better and more rewarding experience watching two people try to win an argument not worth their time. Lots of prestige TV shows want to represent everything about a small group of loosely-connected people, how their at-the-moment wicked motivations are reactions of decades of mistreatment, but Beef was the best example of that ambitious goal this year. Next time, you can remember that everyone's fighting the hard fight personally and you can always let things dissolve into the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU