Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
10. Hunters - not based on a true story, but I took it as loosely based on the stories of the Mossad hunting down Nazis who escaped justice after World War II. Its first season is so much better than the second, and it has Al Pacino and Carol Kane who absolutely make it worth watching. Just don't expect too much because it ends in a completely fan-fiction type way that was very disappointing in my opinion.

9. A Murder at the End of the World - It started off so drat good but the ending was ridiculous and telegraphed very early in the season and everyone in TVIV figured out who the murderer was long before the reveal. But the acting by everyone makes it worth watching and I hope there's another season with a better story line worthy of Darby and whoever else comes along.

8. Monarch: Legacy of Monsters - it's nowhere near as good as Godzilla Minus One and their delving into the "Hollow Earth" thing is ridiculous, but I can't not watch it. I wish it was more about the history of Monarch than about Randa's kids, May, and a very old Kurt Russell, but I still tune in as soon as I can, because there have been a few scenes that have been worth it: like Godzilla being awoken from being under the earth, throwing a temper tantrum and then disappearing. How did he get under the earth? How did he then just disappear? I don't know, but it's weird mysteries like that which keep me hooked on this silly show.

7. Rabbit Hole - it's Kiefer Sutherland, and it might as well be a continuation of 24, even though it's not. In this series, he's a "corporate espionage" guy, who discovers a huge conspiracy that endangers democracy itself. And for some reason, he is the only one capable of saving us and it's so much fun. It's truly a "turn your brain off and just enjoy it" show kind of like 24 got toward the end.

6. For All Mankind - This show at its heart is alternate history. At first, it was "what if the USSR got to the moon before the United States", that played out for a couple seasons, then it was "what if the US and USSR took their space race to mars" and has now turned into "what if we discovered an asteroid full of a rare mineral near mars and tried to tow it back into the earth's orbit so we could mine it". It's utterly ridiculous and it left any semblance of being believable after the second season, but I keep watching because they just keep throwing the dice and coming up with more insane premises. Joel Kinnaman is excellent as a NASA astronaut who never wants to go back to earth and Edi Gathegi plays Dev, who I think of as "the Elon Musk stand-in, if Elon was actually smart enough and likeable enough to do what he wanted to do".

5. Succession - I tried to watch this several years ago, but I fell off of it mid-season two because a) all of the characters, and I mean all of them, are completely unlikable and b) it takes far too long for any of them to get what's coming to them. So I waited until it had ended, and then blitzed through it. Everyone is still completely unlikable, but most of them at least get their comeuppance. And with a binge, I could appreciate the amazing acting it takes to portray such selfish, greedy, unlikable people.

4. The Last of Us - based on the video game, I only knew about the story because I watched a play through years ago. The premise is "what if the cordyceps fungus could mutate and affect people like it affects ants". It basically turns them into unthinking monsters, and brings about the end of the world. Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey star and this is a show with so much heart.

3. The Fall of the House of Usher - It's a horror/supernatural series, retelling several of Poe's stories and poems and it is just amazing in how good it is at reinterpreting Poe in my opinion. Mark Hamill plays Arthur Pym, a lawyer and fixer for the Ushers, and Carla Gugino plays the "villain". But given that all of the Ushers are utterly irredeemable, you don't end up feeling too badly for them (other than in how some of them die, it's gruesome, I looked away/fast-forwarded a couple).

2. Slow Horses - the only reason this isn't #1 is because the second season was a huge let-down, but season three has been so much better. Gary Oldman heads a department of MI-5 called Slough House, and it's called that, because all of the members have made mistakes that should have been career-ending. They are given a choice, get out or go to Slough House. 90% of the time, they get the grunt work, but occasionally, they stumble on something huge and eventually save the day. It's exciting and hilarious, and absolutely must-see-tv.

1. Silo - I found this thanks to goon recommendations, because Apple TV just doesn't advertise their shows, at least not anywhere I look. It's based on the idea that something world-ending happened, all of the survivors went into this under-ground silo that seems to be hundreds of stories deep. Every once in a while, if someone wants to exit, they are suited up in a space-suit type thing then let out, the only caveat is they have to clean the camera so that people can still look and see the horrible state of the outside. So far, everyone who does this, then drops dead shortly after cleaning, but there are still some people inside the Silo unsure that they are seeing the actual truth. The actual truth is still really unknown at the end of season 1, but it was good enough to make me buy the series of books it's based on, because I'm a sucker for a good post-apocalyptic story.

raven77 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Slow Horses S2 was 2022 so you don’t have to ding s3 if you don’t want to. (I didn’t see s2 until this year either, and s3 definitely made my top 10 too)

One of the things I appreciate about Slow Horses is that each season is very self-contained, so you could skip the previous season and then just jump in on the current season and follow along fine. Sure, you might be confused as to why the MI-5 people hate the Slow Horses so much, but but it's not so confusing that it would keep you from enjoying season 3.