Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Stuck on a series of graphic novels. Shutter. P compelling, interesting story and a good sense of humor. The art though is loving out of this world. There is a literal loving picture of a bat with a handgun for a head. Wtf. Amazing. Artist is from my state too, so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

not very good so far tbh. a little pretentious

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Started Killing For Country by David Marr.
It's a history of early colonisation of Australia and all the massacre and dispossession of the indigenous people. It's partly told through biography of the author's ancestors which I think got him started on the whole thing. Very well written. We still have things named after genocidal murderers in this country

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

Stuck on a series of graphic novels. Shutter. P compelling, interesting story and a good sense of humor. The art though is loving out of this world. There is a literal loving picture of a bat with a handgun for a head. Wtf. Amazing. Artist is from my state too, so that's cool.

Hell yeah, I plowed through that series a few years ago and have been looking for something like it since.
Really felt like it had Venture Brothers vibes.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

pooch516 posted:

Hell yeah, I plowed through that series a few years ago and have been looking for something like it since.
Really felt like it had Venture Brothers vibes.

ME TOO! It's something about the way the not-at-all-normal poo poo is just taken for granted in the world. Great feeling.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

My SO and I read before bed like literally from sit coms and lately I've been reading the Drizzt Forgotten Realms series and I'm on book 8 and I'm like well over 45 years old lol

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

kntfkr posted:

I’m reading a book called Septology whoch was nominated for a nobel prize or something, it said so on the cover.

Went like twenty pages before the first period. It sucks.

This sounds like a lot of fun.

I read Jason's Athos in America, a kind of comic short story collection. I love the way he shows action with a limited amount of dialogue. It really brings out a sense of isolation, which is a reoccurring theme.

I am about a quarter of the way through Stanislaw Lem's Solaris. It's super creepy and foreboding. It's about an exploration to a planet with an ocean that is seemingly alive and conscious, and the madness that descends on the people who try to investigate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I really need to get around to Solaris, it's been on my interest list forever but I never got around to it. I put it on my wishlist to remember when I get another audiobook credit.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Thesaurus posted:

Just started The Name of the Rose, and loving it. This book probably spawned thousands of medievalists

Yo I'm rereading it right now lol. Its one of my favorite books of all time and I regularly knock it out in less than three days cuz I just go crackhead on it, so engaging, smart, thematically rich, and with so much incredible research yet it's easy asf to read.

I def recommend just reading it by itself your first time, but if you ever decide to reread it, this is an awesome companion text:

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/10487

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Thesaurus posted:

Just started The Name of the Rose, and loving it. This book probably spawned thousands of medievalists

I just read this about three weeks ago after playing Pentiment and loved it. I started Baudolino this week and I’m about 30% into it and it’s really enjoyable too. Ended up buying Foucaults pendulum as well to put on my list

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I def recommend just reading it by itself your first time, but if you ever decide to reread it, this is an awesome companion text:

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/10487

I’ll definitely take a look at that. Thanks

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

mst4k posted:

My SO and I read before bed like literally from sit coms and lately I've been reading the Drizzt Forgotten Realms series and I'm on book 8 and I'm like well over 45 years old lol

That’s some hearty comfort food. RA Salvatore is fun.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

My sister in law has all of the Discworld novels, so I've been borrowing a few of those at a time this year.
I finished Going Postal last week and now reading Making Money.

These books are really engaging and it's been so easy to follow and imagine the way characters communicate with each other, normally I struggle to picture anything that's going on, but this writing has been.. convincing, I guess?

On that note, the characters themselves are often really interesting and I want to know where the story is leading them, so I'm holding that book open longer than I normally would.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Love in the Time of Cholera. So far it has been very evocative, but it's... Not grabbing me as much as I would like; cannot quite articulate why, though.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

TheMostFrench posted:

My sister in law has all of the Discworld novels, so I've been borrowing a few of those at a time this year.
I finished Going Postal last week and now reading Making Money.

These books are really engaging and it's been so easy to follow and imagine the way characters communicate with each other, normally I struggle to picture anything that's going on, but this writing has been.. convincing, I guess?
i've also been getting into these since Guards! Guards! was book barn's botm, and i'm reading Wyrd Sisters now. theyre fun books and i like them but the reason theyre so easy to follow lies in how unchallenging the text is written. if you struggle to picture what's going on in books i would just recommend reading more, and more difficult works at that

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
Started reading a book on Bleeding Kansas, and the events leading to the tensions that caused the American Civil War:

Which I am thoroughly enjoying because writing like:

Jay Monaghan posted:

American Patriots had fought George III, and embattled frontiersmen could yet conquer King Cotton-Bobbin.

The author roasts pro slavery figures on a personal level fairly regularly, as well, which is shocking for a book written in 1955 by a man born in the 1890s.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 27, 2024

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT
Reading SCUD: The Whole Shebang again. I like the artwork a lot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Which I am thoroughly enjoying because writing like:

The author roasts pro slavery figures on a personal level fairly regularly, as well, which is shocking for a book written in 1955 by a man born in the 1890s.

Ok, I'm sold. I've been wanting to read more american history and this sounds great in topic fraught with bullshit

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok, I'm sold. I've been wanting to read more american history and this sounds great in topic fraught with bullshit

Slavocratic Nabobs

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Bottom Liner posted:

The only biography on the author I can find

A reivew on this site gives an overview of what to expect.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Enfys posted:

My library hold on this just came up, and I'm really looking forward to starting it this weekend. I loved There There and still think about it periodically.

Currently finishing American Rust, and it's good but depressing and I'm kinda dreading the conclusion :smith:

Finished American Rust, which was good but an absolute gut punch as anticipated, then went straight to his next book The Son, which completely blew me away. One of the best books I've read in recent memory. Goddamn the growth in Meyer as an author between those two books. What a ride.

I just finished Wandering Stars, which was again a strong second work that showed a lot more writing chops compared to the first.

Reading Ridgeline now by Michael Punke, author of The Revenant, which isn't nearly as good in terms of writing or story, but I guess I just can't stop reading about the conquest of Native Americans and the exploitation of the land and its inhabitants.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Earwicker posted:

i just started Life and Fate by Vassily Grossman. a huge tome filled with every evil WW2 wrought in Russia and Germany in the form of a fiction following one family (but based fairly closely on Grossman's own life, according to the intro). so far its very well written and harrowing

also reading Dragonriders of Pern at the same time for some head space. its not exactly "light" but at least its got dragons and no nazis.

I read Life and fate but no book has shook me quite as much as The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littel. Everyone should read it

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I've seen the names of Butler and Leguin tossed around these here forums a lot, and always glowingly.

But I'm not sure where to start with either of them. Their works seem densely packed with important ideas, which can be a little intimidating when trying to narrow down which one to wade into.

Does anyone have recommendations for either or both? Preferably with a more hopeful bent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

DicktheCat posted:

I've seen the names of Butler and Leguin tossed around these here forums a lot, and always glowingly.

But I'm not sure where to start with either of them. Their works seem densely packed with important ideas, which can be a little intimidating when trying to narrow down which one to wade into.

Does anyone have recommendations for either or both? Preferably with a more hopeful bent.

Leguin: Like fantasy? Read “A Sorcerer Wizard of Earthsea” and the next two if you enjoyed it. Like sci-fi? Read either “The Dispossessed” or “Left Hand of Darkness”.

Earthsea is six books to be read in sequence. I’ve only read the first three, which were her original trilogy. She wrote the other three some years later. The other two books I mentioned are part of the Hainish Cycle, all of which can be read in any order. They nominally share a universe but no characters, plot, nor settings.

Subjectively, Earthsea felt more upbeat even though the themes are no less heavy than the Hainish two. Felt lighter than Left Hand, which I read immediately after Earthsea - that book was emotionally draining but also was more interesting because it explored sexuality in a way that felt more… relevant? Impactful? To the human experience than Earthsea’s themes. But this paragraph is just my own thoughts.

madmatt112 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 28, 2024