Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've been reading the Red/Green/Blue Mars series by Robinson, currently about halfway through Green.

A truly odd book series. As dry as gently caress, like a Martian geology book, and yet I keep reading and am intrigued.
But I am a super nerd on these subjects too. I wouldn't recommend this series for anyone other than those into hardcore sci-fi, dry and full of details.

What I do love about it is goes through all the detail of a Martian colonization and terraforming.

How about you? What are you reading? What do you think about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
For Christmas I got a copy of Field&Stream's THE TOTAL GUN MANUAL: 375 ESSENTIAL SHOOTING SKILLS and section 176 has some good poo poo I shall transcribe for your goddamn pleasure OP:

176: BELIEVE IN MAGIC

I've been lucky enough to hunt lots of different critters, and I can tell you for a fact that there is nothing to send you instantly into an adrenaline bloat like the appearance of a big whitetail. Elk and Cape buffalo will churn your ductless glands, but they are amateurs compared to Oodocoileus virginianus.
Part of the whitetail's mystique is its ability to materialize out of thin air. If you've hunted them, you know that you can be looking at a perfectly empty field one instant, and in the next instant, there is a deer standing where you were looking. You never see them approach; they just seem to assemble themselves from free-floating molecules in the space of a nanosecond.
It's possible that they learn this from their mothers as fawns: "Pay attention now, children. This is important."
It's possible that they had help from aliens, eons ago, before the aliens went to Egypt to build pyramids.
Who knows? In any event, it's a good part of why they drive so many people nuts, including myself.-D.E.P.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I liked the library at mount char by Scott Hawkins.

It was good and had enough fantastic stuff and new ideas to make it a pretty sweet fantasy/horror(?) That wraps up in one book and was satisfying and kept me reading to the end.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I just listened to Stardust, by, Neil Gaiman. Good book. I recommend it

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

the jungle by upton sinclair

i assumed it would be a boring required in high school type read but it's actually a really fascinating look at the human condition

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

pencilhands posted:

i assumed it would be a boring required in high school type read but it's actually a really fascinating look at the human condition

Don't post in this thread bitch :fuckoff:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

Hell yeah brother, one of the best books in the history of all time.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

EorayMel posted:

Don't post in this thread bitch :fuckoff:

what's your problem?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I just listened to Stardust, by, Neil Gaiman. Good book. I recommend it

Gaiman is awesome. I just got "Norse Mythology" by him as a gift.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pencilhands posted:

umm, actually its about the meat industry in Chicago

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

umm, actually its about the meat industry in Chicago

literally a single throwaway chapter

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Gaiman is awesome. I just got "Norse Mythology" by him as a gift.

It is so good. It's what he does.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

A goon read an entire novel about sociopathic rollercoasters that can shoot laser beams in the goldmine it is good IMO
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535471

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I am a huge nerd, any of you other nerds read The Dresden books? I like them

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Last time I leave a book recommendation to be ignored :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It is so good. It's what he does.

Yeah, exactly how I described him to the crowd when I got the book.

I'm eager to read it.

Have you read the Sandman series?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Yeah, exactly how I described him to the crowd when I got the book.

I'm eager to read it.

Have you read the Sandman series?

of course that is how I first read him.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

of course that is how I first read him.

My man. I love to think of that graphic novel story as the real Odin/Thor/Loki story, this MCU stuff just shadowplay, like how even in the MCU movies they make little shadowplays of their stories....

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

My man. I love to think of that graphic novel story as the real Odin/Thor/Loki story, this MCU stuff just shadowplay, like how even in the MCU movies they make little shadowplays of their stories....

how did you like the Netflix version? I am all for changing peoples colors, but, found it hard to believe there was a black woman in the 1910s who was super rich

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how did you like the Netflix version? I am all for changing peoples colors, but, found it hard to believe there was a black woman in the 1910s who was super rich

I haven't seen it, I don't have that streaming service.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I haven't seen it, I don't have that streaming service.

so what do you do in your free time?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

so what do you do in your free time?

Lately, post on the SA forum "General Bullshit"

Also read books. And play Asteroids and basketball.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Lately, post on the SA forum "General Bullshit"

Also read books. And play Asteroids and basketball.

basketball? I'm 6'2" and still no good at it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

basketball? I'm 6'2" and still no good at it

I'm really good at books and basketball and lots of other stuff really.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I'm listening to "I'm Glad My Mom Died" by Jennette McCurdy. It's a memoir from a former child star who was pushed into acting by her abusive mom. I like that it's funny and well-written, and it's full of lessons about how not to parent my own kids.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Sex by Madonna

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Seems like they just forgot that DMs exist

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Sex by Madonna

I read it for the articles

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anyone into sci-fi read The Expanse series? That poo poo was tight from start to finish.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

CHAOS by Tom O'Neill. I like learning how our governments uses us as guinea pigs for hosed up reasons with no accountability. Also to never trust anyone in Hollywood or the LAPD.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wendigee posted:

Seems like they just forgot that DMs exist

upset that you can't get a DM?

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Re-reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

I just love it, even if I can’t articulate why.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

upset that you can't get a DM?

I'm upset you didn't comment on my excellent book recommendation.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Very upset

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
norm macdonald based on a true story read by the author

it was funny!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I'm plugging my way through The Dark Forest trilogy for the second time. It's pretty good sci fi. Also it is a look into Chinese culture where the Chinese culture isn't the star of the show. Like an American writing about Chinese culture will make the culture some big obstacle or spectacle or something. It's refreshing just reading what people do someplace that isn't my country. Although this author really leans into the trope of everyone getting a label and acting in accordance with that label.

Like oh redshirt is Lutheran and we'll call him "Lutheran redshirt" and here's a list of characteristics that all Lutheran people share therefore this is exactly how Lutheran redshirt will behave and he's going to retire and tell us stories about Lutherans until the moment of his very Lutheran death.

There's not a lot of complexity in characters. One guy literally dedicated his entire life to solving a math problem, and that was his only personality trait. Just Math Problem Dave.

Great trilogy though, would recommend.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm reading a science fiction book called Infinity Gate and its quite entertaining, although its definitely light reading. Fun characters.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm reading a science fiction book called Infinity Gate and its quite entertaining, although its definitely light reading. Fun characters.

That sounds good thank you! Gonna go check my library ebook catalog

Edit: free ebook available from my library.. gonna read this thanks

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 26, 2023

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
those scary stories to tell in the dark drawings were terrifying and i dont read books anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
during the holiday season, i like to reread Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber to remind myself that management can suck my loving dick, where the gently caress is my holiday bonus