Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

anyone know a good book with forum moderation best practices?

Cornell University Guide for Moderators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bad Purchase posted:

anyone know a good book with forum moderation best practices?

:lol:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman - it's interesting enough, but... I dunno it isn't fully grabbing me to say that I like it.

I've also got Hermann's Comanche comic series that I'm thinking of making a translation project of (to train my Swedish).

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

ulvir posted:

others suggested P+V, but i’m going to :actually: here and say that with Tolstoy, go with The Maudes’ or revisions/updates to The Maudes’ translation. it’s a way better translation

I've heard rumblings here and there that the P+V are not ideal translations even if they are better than Constance Garnett, so maybe I'll check this one out.

I'm also listening to some of those P.G. Wodehouse Jeeves books on audio as somebody mentioned earlier in the thread. They're a lot of fun, even if they're a bit unchallenging. I listen to them at the gym as I work out.

Also going to start Solaris shortly

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, I'm finishing up Jurassic Park today, and it mostly held up very well.

I re-read the thing after 25 years and yeah it's pretty good but — I'm glad David Koepp and Spielberg for the movie had the sense to dial down Malcolm's tedious monologues, and also largely rewrote the kids from the ground up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I do think the kids are a weak point in either version. Maybe kids are just terrible in general?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
One thing I prefer in the book vs the movie is that Grant loves kids, because they're so enthusiastic about dinosaurs. I think it makes a lot of sense.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm partway through The Three Body Problem but it's kind of a snooze

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More like The Too Ploddy Boredom

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Smugworth posted:

I'm partway through The Three Body Problem but it's kind of a snooze

hearing others say the same

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
this thread bitch

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Sci-fi straight up isn't interesting anymore unless the author's comprehension of social sciences is just as interesting as the more superficial tech poo poo.

this is why i'm so taken with the Terra Ignota series by Ada Palmer. i'm currently reading it for the second time and really loving it more than i did the first time. it's a history of the 25th century written by a peculiar and unreliable narrator and it's far more about philosophy and religion than it is about technology. the author is a renaissance scholar and the way that her work informs her speculative fiction is fascinating

basically it takes place in a world in which there has been a global peace (minus a few minor strifes) for the past couple of centuries. among other significant changes, human society has moved beyond geographic nations into a system called "hives". the books are about how that system falls apart and what comes after.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

R.L. Stine posted:

this thread bitch

i have also been looking into getting a kobo. specifically a clara 2e

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Don DeLillo's Underworld and I'm 60% in and still pretty confused

I'm gonna need to read some Hemmingway afterward to figure out how to think straight

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm reading Ubik and it's good.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

R.L. Stine posted:

this thread bitch

Still better than the mobile version

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

cumpantry posted:

i have also been looking into getting a kobo. specifically a clara 2e

it's really good imo, i got that one last month or so. before i was using a 10 year old kindle with no backlight.

having a backlight (esp with the blue light filter) is a gamechanger, and the ability to read epubs without loading 3rd party software.

also i am reading 'the great mortality' which is about the black death and it's cool to read about medieval disasters

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've never bought an eBook or a reader and I never will. I am an old fussy body, and I still vividly remember an event many years ago when Amazon pulled purchased copies of 1984 from people's Kindles due to a dispute with the publisher. Everyone got refunded, but the notion that a company can take away a book you bought without your consent shook me to the core, and solidified my old fussy body conviction that I will ONLY buy physical copies of books.

And so I have. lol you should see my library, it's overflowing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kindles are pretty sweet

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

i was an 'i'll never read an ebook' person and then i used a kindle. the only physical books i buy now are reference books i need to flip through back and forth and weird books that can't be translated to ebook format easily, or are too old or obscure to have been digitized. idk about new kindles but the kobo has overdrive so you can check out library books it owns

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I grew up with my parents flipping houses so every couple years we had to move their giant book collection to a new house

I got a Kindle in 2010 and haven't regretted once. I guess impulse buys being one click has lead me to spending a lot of money but I'm going to read those 500+ unread books some day

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I grew up with my parents flipping houses so every couple years we had to move their giant book collection to a new house

I got a Kindle in 2010 and haven't regretted once. I guess impulse buys being one click has lead me to spending a lot of money but I'm going to read those 500+ unread books some day

lol I last moved in 2012 and moving the books from the 5th floor was such a gigantic hassle I kept thinking the whole time "All of this would fit easily on a Kindle". But, I will stick to my outdated old fashioned guns.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Back before I mostly switched to audiobooks, I was big into Kindle. I was slow to get into it initially, but what really won me over was that I'd do some reading in bed before I went to sleep - it was just so much less disruptive to read from a dim screen with the lights out than to have a lamp on the whole time. Especially once I realized the Kindle phone app works fine, you don't even need a hefty tablet. That was enough to get me to switch over, I basically only use physical books now if I'm reading technical stuff for work, or if the power's out and I'm saving my phone battery. It does feel a bit sad, because I like the physicality of print books, but the convenience just won me over.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The modern kindles weigh a lot less than a modern phone. Mine weighs nothing, the battery lasts over a month reading daily, and the screen looks a million times better for reading. It was also under $100.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've also never listened to an audiobook. I want to, I think it's a great way to get a book experience, even though it's not remotely the same as reading IMO. Also please remember I am an old fuddy duddy, thank you.

I love WWZ as a book and I've heard good things about the audiobook, specifically using that medium to its full potential (which is beyond just reading).

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I wound up reading a lot of ebooks on my phone in China. Not the best experience but I was still glad to be able to access poo poo

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

kntfkr posted:

I'm reading Ubik and it's good.

I like Dick (:rimshot:) a lot for his bizarre and out there ideas that were prescient from the time he was writing. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldeitch sticks out in my mind even though it's been years now since I read it.

Also I'm listening to an audiobook of Tales from Earthsea by Le Guin. I'm still in the first, long story, but it's really good.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I have a big gently caress off hardcover LeGuin book that I bought cuz the cover and her name (didn’t know her but cool name) The Real and Unreal, I think it’s called. I really like what I’ve read. Favorite story was about a town that physically moves around the map.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The Left Hand of Darkness is really good too. I wasn't as blown away by Earthsea as most people seem to be, reading it as an adult :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i love the weird poo poo Dick wrote towards the end of his life like VALIS and its sequels, some of his journals from around that time have also been published (as The Exegesis of Philip K Dick) and it's fascinating reading, if a bit harrowing at times

but my favorite book of his is Confessions of a Crap Artist. its got a very different tone than his other books and doesn't really fall under the scifi umbrella, more a very dark family drama set in mid 20th century Bay Area

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just love Dick as the ultimate story idea guy, he's a machine producing idea after idea after idea....

The quality of the writing is secondary to the sheer brilliance of the ideas.

Also, I think of him and his sorry actual life, and think about mental health and the individual, and society, and history. Like if PKD had access to all the best tools of the mental health profession, would he have come up with all the concepts he did? Seems unlikely, right? And so I wonder how much we - humanity - need people outside the normal spectrum to challenge us, to open our eyes to things we'd never normally consider. Or not....

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

AARD VARKMAN posted:

The Left Hand of Darkness is really good too. I wasn't as blown away by Earthsea as most people seem to be, reading it as an adult :shrug:

The first three almost feel like proto YA fiction. The later ones have a more mature tone you might be interested in if you like her other stuff.

A Scanner Darkly is great and my favorite of Dick's novels. Quite a depressing read though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anyone read "Parable of the Sower" series?

It's remarkably prescient.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I like reading physical books (except they are harder on my hands :negative: ), I like reading ebooks on my Kindle, and I like listening to audiobooks.

I have never been able to enjoy reading on my phone or a tablet though.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I finally sank to the level of reading a web serial (Super Supportive) recently and was surprised by how dark mode made the phone reading experience actually not terrible. Still vastly prefer the e-reader experience but I can put some hours in on royal road without eye pain or anything apparently

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Also reading the booklet that comes with Have a Nice Life’s Deathconciousness.

It’s….weird!!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I finally sank to the level of reading a web serial (Super Supportive) recently and was surprised by how dark mode made the phone reading experience actually not terrible. Still vastly prefer the e-reader experience but I can put some hours in on royal road without eye pain or anything apparently

when will you read mine?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

cumpantry posted:

when will you read mine?

what kind of cool super powers are in yours

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol I wrote a 5 book series, but it will never be popular because the overriding drift is to punish the OP

Also, it's a giant poem like Greek stories of yore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

lol I wrote a 5 book series, but it will never be popular because the overriding drift is to punish the OP

Also, it's a giant poem like Greek stories of yore.

Was it published?