Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Wendigee posted:

I liked the library at mount char by Scott Hawkins.

It was good and had enough fantastic stuff and new ideas to make it a pretty sweet fantasy/horror(?) That wraps up in one book and was satisfying and kept me reading to the end.
I read the sample they have up online. It seems quite good. A very rich world with a lot of mystery behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I enjoyed it

I'm looking for A new book right now

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading Capital: A Portrait of 21st Century Delhi, by Rana Dasgupta. It's about how India's 90s economic liberalisation and other earlier historical factors contributed to Delhi as it is today. It's largely told through interviews, mostly with Delhi's oligarch class but also some poor and middle class people.

I like it partly because I agree with the author's politics, but also because he usually writes fiction so the prose is more interesting than usual. I also like books that are a deep dive into a city.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

A Feast For Crows, the fourth book in A Song Of Ice and Fire. This is my third read of it and I love it because Cersei's pov chapters are the most entertaining thing I've ever read. She's making so many mistakes but thinks she's a genius and is smarter than anyone else living or dead. Plus there are minimal Starks and I find the Starks super boring.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
Recently fell down the rabbit hole of Ancient Greece and found this little gem on ancient Greek farms. It's well researched, concise and specific when it needs to be, and just really interesting to me overall.
https://www.everand.com/read/364039895/The-Ancient-Greek-Farmstead

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Wages Of Destruction, an economic history book about the downfall of Germany in WWII. It's taking a while, because it's an absolute behemoth and I don't have as much reading time as I'd like.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Beyond the Mauve Zone by Kenneth Grant. Loony Thelema stuff is highly entertaining to me.

Before that it was a reread of Flow My Tears by Philip K. Dick which is just a great book.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Two things: The Wonderful Adventures of Nils Holgersson by Selma Lagerlöf and The Persian expedition (or however you want to translate that title) by Xenophon.

The former is a whimsical, cosy, moral Swedish fairy story, the latter is ancient Greek war/autobio/philosophy/statecraft. The contrast works imo.

naem
May 29, 2011

BigHead posted:

I'm plugging my way through The Dark Forest trilogy for the second time. It's pretty good sci fi. Also it is a look into Chinese culture where the Chinese culture isn't the star of the show. Like an American writing about Chinese culture will make the culture some big obstacle or spectacle or something. It's refreshing just reading what people do someplace that isn't my country. Although this author really leans into the trope of everyone getting a label and acting in accordance with that label.

Like oh redshirt is Lutheran and we'll call him "Lutheran redshirt" and here's a list of characteristics that all Lutheran people share therefore this is exactly how Lutheran redshirt will behave and he's going to retire and tell us stories about Lutherans until the moment of his very Lutheran death.

There's not a lot of complexity in characters. One guy literally dedicated his entire life to solving a math problem, and that was his only personality trait. Just Math Problem Dave.

Great trilogy though, would recommend.

I’m enjoying it a lot too, it’s a very fresh perspective on what humans and aliens interacting might be like

the first book dragged a bit before I got what was happening and then it really got to me in a good way

there also are an awful lot of wise, older chinese men who take one look at a young women and how her face is pretty like the sun, on a starlit moonscape, like unto the golden days of yor, and he knew then she had to be mine “oh yes am I shall date you forever, oh wise older chinese guy, because of how hot a lady it is that I am”

reminds me of this trope:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Those books get really bad because the dude's gender politics are so unbelievably cringe inducing. Cool concepts but just awful moment-to-moment prose and beyond one dimensional characters.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anyone read The Expanse series of novels?

If you're into page turning sci-fi, these books are it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It doesn't really count since I finished it a few weeks back, but a book that really stuck with me was LTI - Lingua Tertii Imperii by Victor Klemperer; a quasi-academical/memoir of a Jewish linguistic professor who survived Nazi Germany who tells how he survived through the framing of the language used by the Nazis and how it influenced the general population.

If you like Eco's Ur-Fascism, I'd definitely recommend this.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Me, who is not reading a book, sneaking into the thread in hopes of finding a book to read.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I'm about halfway through Aparna Nanchurla's Unreliable Narrator and I'm liking it a lot. It is about the author's imposter syndrome and she uses her comedic talents to alleviate some of the tension around the topic.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

redshirt posted:

Anyone read The Expanse series of novels?

If you're into page turning sci-fi, these books are it.

I'm just starting the 7th one of these. They are super fast reads and i think they do a good job with tonal shifts when they change narrators. I also got the 8th book in the series for Christmas so maybe I'll actually finish this bloody series this year, lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

rear end-penny posted:

I'm just starting the 7th one of these. They are super fast reads and i think they do a good job with tonal shifts when they change narrators. I also got the 8th book in the series for Christmas so maybe I'll actually finish this bloody series this year, lol

You're in for a treat! 7-8-9 are the best books in the series IMO. They finish so strong.

These books were also not filmed yet for the show (a few parts were though).

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Super Powereds Book 3 by Drew Hayes. it's free on Kindle unlimited and really long, series about newly turned superheroes going to superhero college. surprisingly decent if a little CW-esque relationship stuff, on top of the fun from all the different powers and combat and whatnot.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Grey Cat posted:

Me, who is not reading a book, sneaking into the thread in hopes of finding a book to read.

Kokoro by Soseki Natsume

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

and World War Z

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Rejoice: A Knife to the Heart

I’m about halfway through but enjoying it greatly. Also the first physical book I’ve bought in ages because for some reason it doesn’t seem to be available for Kindle.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

currently flipping through how to be a renaissance woman: the untold history of beauty & female creativity, a treatise on the history and power dynamics of hotness. a decent read so far

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
after i mostly quit drinking i started reading a lot more because i was just bored with video games. ive been focusing on books with interesting magic systems. i like sci fi too,

also going to promote kobo as a place to also buy books digitally. they have lots of deals and some of the books are drm free

incoming :

children of time: sci fi. modified animals that create their own society. i only read the first 2 so far, but different species in each.

foundryside: very good. female MC. magic is kind of like programming, and essentially the MC interacts with it unique to the world.

Unnatural Magic: the sequel is Ruthless Ladys Guide to Wizardry. i dont know if they are considered together, but it follows the same characters (ish). more romance based but described troll life as a sort of hippy-ogre (in my mind). female MCs

Malevolent Seven: Male MC who is able to use magic because he made a deal with a devil. i think most magic has to come from somewhere else for humans. devil/angels are among the races. implies a sequel but nothing yet

Black Prism: magic comes from lights and colors. very good. 5 books. DO NOT MISS

A Deadly Education: wizard school. magic is eaten by creatures and essentially wizards dump their kids in a "school" the locks down until graduation, to protect them from the world. if they cant survive too bad. but of course creatures come in. female mc

just started Ninth House. i think its wizard illuminati.

tom holt is also good for contemporary fantasy. and i like chuck palakniuk.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I liked A Deadly Education. The idea that everyone's room had one wall as this nebulous void they asked for new spells and got something ... vaguely relevant in the form of some old book or scrap of paper of spells was fun.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Hocus Pocus by Vonnegut

It's the first book I've cracked open in years; it's high time I get off a screen for leisure more often. I have a stack of Vonnegut from my early 20s when I still read regularly, gonna revisit them all.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
i'm reading the salvation gambit and its pissing me tf off!!!!! actually most of the new books I've been picking up are pissing me off with their wishy washy rear end main characters so I reread all of Ann Leckie's catalogue recently.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Unnatural Magic: the sequel is Ruthless Ladys Guide to Wizardry. i dont know if they are considered together, but it follows the same characters (ish). more romance based but described troll life as a sort of hippy-ogre (in my mind). female MCs

just started Ninth House. i think its wizard illuminati.

Unnatural Magic is one of my favorite books, one of the characters in Ruthless Lady's is the child of two of the characters from the first.

Ninth House is "yeah they're literally doing magic at skull and bones" and it does own.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I finished reading Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro a few days ago, and I loving hated it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

An Indigenous People's History of the United States, Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz. It's been a busy season so I haven't picked up the book in a few weeks, but it's excellent; a great companion piece to Zinn's A People's History of the United States. We're probably not unique among other countries of the world but so much of our own history is bullshit.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 26, 2023

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
madhouse at the end of the earth by julian sancton-the belgian 1897-99 expedition to antarctica. features a young roald amundsen. also so many penguins, 3 members give themselves medals and call themselves the order of the penguin. what else are you going to do when you're trapped in ice for months with no sun?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

What I’m reading: Uncle Tom’s Cabin.

What’s good about it: it “caused” the Civil War

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m reading about the Plantagenet Kings of England because I’d always assumed they sounded pretty dull, but it turns out they did things like “arrange the massacre of the Archbishop of Canterbury on the altar of his own Cathedral” and other stuff that very clearly inspired Game of Thrones

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

cumpantry posted:

Kokoro by Soseki Natsume

Looks like it's the final in a trilogy?
Should I be reading the first two?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

goatface posted:

I finished reading Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro a few days ago, and I loving hated it.

The movie sucks too

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Grey Cat posted:

huh. i wasn't aware of that LOL. well i dont think i'm missing anything but you never know. still good readan

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Read The Expanse. It's great.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

:crossarms:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wendigee posted:

I'm upset you didn't comment on my excellent book recommendation.

sorry I missed it. what was your excellent book recommendation?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It was mentioned earlier, but again if you like sci-fi, this one more "hard":

Children of Time

It's real good and worth all the hype you've maybe heard. Read it.

The next book is good too, but doesn't reach the same heights IMO.

Children of Time is like wild sci fi concepts played out for 800 pages and it all works and you want more, story wise.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
anyone else remeber that weird time in the 2010s where everything had to be a trilogy? Like there was no point in the second book, but they gave you a three book deal? Twin Pines and The Magicians are the ones I really remember

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

anyone else remeber that weird time in the 2010s where everything had to be a trilogy? Like there was no point in the second book, but they gave you a three book deal? Twin Pines and The Magicians are the ones I really remember

Hunger Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Hunger Games

yeah, that second book was just a pile of words