Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
haha yeah I've read books published after 2010 I have a big brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Private Cumshoe posted:

haha yeah I've read books published after 2010 I have a big brain

I am genuinely confused about who you are insulting here

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i'm rereading musashi. i like it because it is an epic adventure starring an indefatigable samurai who is the best at fighting. it's also boring enough to make it good for reading before sleep

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am genuinely confused about who you are insulting here

Me you loving moron why can't you read

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I am reading 'A Murder of Quality' by John le Carre. I like that it's a very old fashioned whodunit, and there's a lot in it about the English class system that sounds outdated but I worry is really how our ruling class consider people. A lot of descriptions of people concentrate on their accent, and associated mannerisms associated with their class or where they come from. The entire book is centred on a fictional private school that is supposed to be Eton. The traditions and mindset of the place and how people who either teach or are students there are very alien to normal folk. Most of the current politicians that have made the UK a shithole went to Eton, so it's good to have an insight into their thinking.

It's the second book in the George Smiley series, the first two books are whodunits, after this they turns into a much more realistic series about British post-WW2 spycraft. 'Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy' is the 5th book, if you've seen that movie.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Reading The Obsidian Path omnibus, by Michael R. Fletcher. On the third part, An End to Sorrow. It’s about a thousands-year dead, recently revived amnesiac evil emperor of a fantasy world. He’s comically evil, and all his attempts at resisting his evil nature are utterly futile, when he tries to be good he ends up being twice as bad. Reminds me of Elric, but with fewer positive qualities. The whole thing reminds me of Moorcock’s oeuvre, am guessing but am pretty sure it was intentionally written as like an homage. Anyway, you go, Khraen! You sacrifice those souls! You behead those wizards! Keep acting on impulse!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Two books: "Paradise Lost" by John Milton and Jim Butcher's, "The Olympian Affair," sequel to his, "The Aeronaut's Windlass."

I bit off more than I can chew with Milton, the language used is just too flowery and archaic for me and it's been a slog to read, but at the same time I get most of his references and the general meaning if not exactly so, and it's on my "ought to read cover to cover" list so I'll get there eventually.

The Olympian Affair is an absolute treat. Airships, magic, and people talking with cats. Just enough kitsch to have fun with, without fully turning my brain off. I've got mixed feelings about the map at the start of the book plainly being the Eastern US seaboard where instead of the setting being an imagined world, it's clear that it's our own after some cataclysm and that feels a little cliché and hacky to me.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

neato burrito posted:

Hocus Pocus by Vonnegut

It's the first book I've cracked open in years; it's high time I get off a screen for leisure more often. I have a stack of Vonnegut from my early 20s when I still read regularly, gonna revisit them all.
I like Vonnegut a lot because I think he does a better job than just about anyone at seeing through all the bullshit in the world but not letting it doompill him. Like his books are all about "haha yeah humanity is chock-full of stupidity and ridiculousness but you should still be kind to people goddammit."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

I like Vonnegut a lot because I think he does a better job than just about anyone at seeing through all the bullshit in the world but not letting it doompill him. Like his books are all about "haha yeah humanity is chock-full of stupidity and ridiculousness but you should still be kind to people goddammit."

I went through all his books in my twenties and greatly shaped how I view the world. I love him.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

Well, Galapagos is kind of doompilled as I understand the term (because it’s about how civilisation collapses, and the remnants of humanity evolve into seal-like creatures), but also not really (because it makes being a seal-like creature sound great)

I guess Vonnegut is maybe a challenge to the whole idea of doompilling really, in that way, being able to amiably accept all the horrors he himself has lived through. Like Vonnegut is pessimistic and fatalistic— but also seems to be pretty chill and happy?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He embraced absurdism and it worked for him.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

vegetables posted:

Well, Galapagos is kind of doompilled as I understand the term (because it’s about how civilisation collapses, and the remnants of humanity evolve into seal-like creatures), but also not really (because it makes being a seal-like creature sound great)

I guess Vonnegut is maybe a challenge to the whole idea of doompilling really, in that way, being able to amiably accept all the horrors he himself has lived through. Like Vonnegut is pessimistic and fatalistic— but also seems to be pretty chill and happy?

I think that's the answer. Yes, we're doomed. Might as well enjoy life while we can. And help others when we can too.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

redshirt posted:

I think that's the answer. Yes, we're doomed. Might as well enjoy life while we can. And help others when we can too.

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Amazing video, thank you for sharing.

Yes!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Before that it was a reread of Flow My Tears by Philip K. Dick which is just a great book.

So good

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just read The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson on the plane. Twain was a very funny guy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nixonland

It good

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Just finished Orphan X. It's a fun Bourne Identity knockoff. Thinking to read the rest of the series.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Nixonland

It good

Fantastic book

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I started The Glass Bead Game by Hesse but I haven't got very far because so far all it has talked about is how everything about The Glass Bead Game is too difficult to explain or be understood.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

dreezy posted:

norm macdonald based on a true story read by the author

it was funny!

Yeah this is a very good listen!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I started The Glass Bead Game by Hesse but I haven't got very far because so far all it has talked about is how everything about The Glass Bead Game is too difficult to explain or be understood.

If you are hoping it will properly explain at some point, it won't. Not really. It's meant to be largely unfathomable and abstract.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah I'm not expecting it to but I just want the prose about how complex and inexplicable it is to end!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

goatface posted:

If you are hoping it will properly explain at some point, it won't. Not really. It's meant to be largely unfathomable and abstract.

I'm intrigued. Is it worth it, in your opinion?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's been a few years, and I would not call it an easy book to read, but I think it is interesting and worthwhile if you like philosophical meditations on the nature of intelligence and educational seclusion.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

goatface posted:

It's been a few years, and I would not call it an easy book to read, but I think it is interesting and worthwhile if you like philosophical meditations on the nature of intelligence and educational seclusion.

Depends on my mood. I will pick it up regardless to add to my vast and sprawling library.

Crossposting on one my fave sci fi books I've read in the past 5 years or so: A Canticle for Liebowitz, by Walter Miller.

An amazing book. Very dry though. But with some shocking turns, and some sporadic comedy.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

I'm also reading the Glass Bead Game and it's interesting so far. It's mostly talking about the game as a tool to understand life, transcending art. The introduction mentioned that the elevated tone was meant to be taken as ironic, and that lens helps move through any parts that may seem like a heavy slog.

I'm also reading Heaven's Door by Keiichi Koike, which is a sci fi anthology in manga form which gives better twilight Zone vibes than any of its revivals.

I also just finished the complete works of Arthur Rimbaud, and while I definitely get the sense of a teenage drunk that he was when writing, some of the images are evocative and really stick with you.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

if you haven't, Beneath the Wheel is decent read afterward.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

hawowanlawow posted:

just read The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson on the plane. Twain was a very funny guy

Hell yeah, that's a good one. Mark Twain is my favorite author, then Vonnegut.

I recently found, in a 'Little Free Library' box, an 1899 edition of The Writings Of Mark Twain Vol XXI so I'm starting on that. I thought I had read everything the man ever wrote but there's a couple stories in it that I don't remember reading before. The copy is in remarkably good condition.

In the same box was an 1892 copy of The Works Of Edward Bulwer Lytton Volume 4, also in very good condition so I snagged that one too. Score!

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
Ulysses:smug: When I was a stupid teenager I absolutely hated stream-of-consciousness writing, but now that I am a stupid adult I think it's pretty neat what Joyce pulled off.

Sometimes I even understand what is going on! Sometimes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

Ulysses:smug: When I was a stupid teenager I absolutely hated stream-of-consciousness writing, but now that I am a stupid adult I think it's pretty neat what Joyce pulled off.

Are you REALLY doing it?

I failed twice. Completly.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
I mean, I'm taking my sweet time with it. I guess I shouldn't brag about it until I finish, though; good point. I think I'm on the Cyclops episode right now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean, I'm taking my sweet time with it. I guess I shouldn't brag about it until I finish, though; good point. I think I'm on the Cyclops episode right now.

lol I like that you are bragging about it. This is higher society right here folks!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Wendigee posted:

I liked the library at mount char by Scott Hawkins.

It was good and had enough fantastic stuff and new ideas to make it a pretty sweet fantasy/horror(?) That wraps up in one book and was satisfying and kept me reading to the end.

i just started reading this and its quite enjoyable so far.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
The Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan. It's the sequel to Blood Song, a book I really like and recently re-read for the third time. I bought the sequel when it came out but it got bad reviews so it sat shelved for a while. I'm enjoying it. Some of the most interesting characters from Blood Song are viewpoint characters now and it's nice to see them fleshed out a bit more.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finished the book about Delhi and started
1835: The Founding of Melbourne & the Conquest of Australia by James Boyce. I like it because I live in Melbourne and the written history of the early city has been very white and elite for a long time, the book shows how messy the political situation was at that time of great change in England and how that was reflected in the colonies

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

I finished it this year. It took me about eight months, but it was a fantastic read. I would recommend (you may have found this already) getting a companion text either in print or online that connects the narrative between the long stream of consciousness reveries, and also explains the dense web of allusions to other texts as well as the places and people of Dublin and Ireland. It was a great read though. My favorite sections were Telemachus, Sirens, and Ithaca.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I barely touch physical books any more, but I'm constantly listening to audiobooks. The latest one was a bit of a surprise, Later Than You Think by Jack Williamson, a story following the main character investigating some murders and being drawn into a whole web of things like witches and werewolves secretly living among normal humans.

The surprise part was that it's set decades ago, but because the audible cover is a new edition trying to make it look like any other mystery/thriller, I assumed it was an intentional stylistic throwback. But when it kept getting into older-seeming word choices and having noir-ish narration that leaned too far into old school sexism, I looked it up and, surprise, it was actually written in the 1940s. I can't really recommend it overall because it hits that kind of stuff from time to time, but its story is an interesting departure from the really pulpy sci-fi stuff of the day into something more serious and thought-out. It even goes into (too much) detail laying out how the genetics of lycanthrope populations would play out in the world, given the scientific understanding of the time.

So, I didn't love it, but I thought it was an interesting historical curiosity after I figured out it was actually from back then, and not just aping the style.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I recently read Watership Down, which I had not read as a kid, though I saw the movie as an adult. It's adorable! I loved the rabbits' mythology and the details of their political maneuvering and relations with other animals, aspects which are understandably skimmed over in the film. My favorite bits compared to the film were when the narrator pauses to explain differences in how the rabbits socialized compared to people, making it a little different from simply anthropomorphizing the rabbits. (I'm on a tear of reading novels that have famous film adaptations. I reread The Virgin Suicides recently and am reading The Warriors now. Battle Royale will be next on my list.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Holy poo poo the original Jurassic Park book is so fuckin good