Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

madmatt112 posted:

Baxter wrote The Long Earth with Terry Pratchett. I really enjoyed it back in my 20s. An imaginative romp through alternate worlds, and IIRC a bitchin’ eco-climax that really made me want to read the next one to find out how they wrote the aftermath. It’s fun when the two authors are so different, almost every chapter is quite clearly written by one or the other.

I was 90% sure I recognized the name from reading The Long Earth ages ago, but I immediately got distracted and forgot to look it up. It's been long enough that I don't remember much about it, except for it understandably being a tonal shift since I read it at the tail end of working through all the Pratchett books I could find at the library. I should give it a re-read, it's popped into mind occasionally as something I should do, just never when I'm actively looking for something to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
The Long Earth series is more Baxter than Pratchett, I've found.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Captain Hygiene posted:

The first book intrigued me enough to continue, but I gave up by the second for a lot of these reasons, the gender characterizations in particular. On the sci-fi side, for all its big ideas, I felt I was constantly getting mad at it for getting too far into magical hand-wavey technology plot shortcuts by the second book, I just stopped reading it after that. I wish I could remember more specific complaints, but it just kinda disappeared from my memory once I gave up on it.

Oh yeah I liked the first book but got bored with the second and didn't bother with the third. I remember weird slapstick where someone almost gets eaten by furniture and a giant space battle where a fleet is being wiped out fast but the crew stops to have long melodramatic conversations.

It does have the funny aspect of world in crisis books written by non-Western authors where the United States happily defers to the UN including putting military forces under their command.

Apparently the Chinese billionaire who was an executive producer for the Netflix series for Three Body Problem in hopes of it becoming a Star Wars franchise got murdered by one of his executives before the show came out:

quote:

The Bizarre Chinese Murder Plot Behind Netflix’s ‘3 Body Problem’
Lin Qi, a billionaire who helped produce the science-fiction hit, was poisoned to death by a disgruntled executive. His attacker now faces the death penalty.

quote:

Lin Qi was a billionaire with a dream. The video game tycoon had wanted to turn one of China’s most famous science-fiction novels, “The Three-Body Problem,” into a global hit. He had started working with Netflix and the creators of the HBO series “Game of Thrones” to bring the alien invasion saga to international audiences.

But Mr. Lin did not live to see “3 Body Problem” premiere on Netflix last month, drawing millions of viewers.

He was poisoned to death in Shanghai in 2020, at age 39, by a disgruntled colleague, in a killing that riveted the country’s tech and video-gaming circles where he had been a prominent rising star. That colleague, Xu Yao, a 43-year-old former executive in Mr. Lin’s company, was last month sentenced to death for murder by a court in Shanghai, which called his actions “extremely despicable.”

The court has made few specific details public, but Mr. Lin’s killing was, as a Chinese news outlet put it, “as bizarre as a Hollywood blockbuster.” Chinese media reports, citing sources in his company and court documents, have described a tale of deadly corporate ambition and rivalry with a macabre edge. Sidelined at work, Mr. Xu reportedly exacted vengeance with meticulous planning, including by testing poisons on small animals in a makeshift lab. (He not only killed Mr. Lin, but also poisoned his own replacement.)

quote:

As Mr. Xu plotted his revenge, Caixin reported, he built a lab in an outlying district of Shanghai where he experimented with hundreds of poisons he bought off the dark web by testing them on dogs and cats and other pets. Caixin said Mr. Xu was both fascinated and inspired by the American hit TV series “Breaking Bad,” about a cancer-stricken chemistry teacher who teaches himself to make and sell methamphetamine, eventually becoming a drug lord.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/...&smid=url-share

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 4, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What the :stare:

But yeah, that probably would make for a more interesting movie

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

redshirt posted:

I wash my hands of any responsibilities. I've given my warning.

As I am about 100 pages left to finish the 3rd book in the series (it somehow got interesting at the end!).

I am a turbo nerd on this subject, so I find the trilogy interesting, while also strongly feeling they are not very good books. They don't suffer from the sexism or racism of other sci fi, that's for sure. But as mentioned above, these are less books and more the authors in depth exploration at terraforming. There's little in the way of characterization, drama, plot, etc. But if you're looking for DETAILED and IN DEPTH descriptions of future Martian geology and flora and fauna, this is the trilogy for you.

While reading these books, the author never explains, really, why all this is happening. It's kinda maddening. Why, for instance, did Earth megacorps spend trillions of dollars to colonize Mars with no hope of profits for many many many decades? Does that seem like something a megacorp would do?

I agree there's not much in the way of plot, but I'd disagree on the characterisation. That's almost the point of the series. Like the opening chapter of Red is from Maya's pov, with a strong focus on interpersonal dynamics, then you get Nadia's pov chapter which includes a page-long list of tools and swiftly dismisses all Maya's angst and politicking as teenage melodrama. Everyone's on the same planet but inhabit very different worlds.
But yeah there is the big question of "why are the megacorps funding this" or at least "how are the characters paying for their food and socks." I wonder if that's a result of its super early 90's publication date, back when "corporation" conjured up some vast and sprawling zaibatsu or whatever, rather than e.g. Musk or Zuckerberg, or Google slowly poisoning its own algorithms with ai garbage.

Narzack posted:

If you're in to hard scifi, I recommend my very favorite science fiction authors, Stephen Baxter and Alastair Reynolds.

Reynolds is real good, but I'm not sure his sci fi is "hard." Dark, definitely.

madmatt112 posted:

Baxter wrote The Long Earth with Terry Pratchett. I really enjoyed it back in my 20s. An imaginative romp through alternate worlds, and IIRC a bitchin’ eco-climax that really made me want to read the next one to find out how they wrote the aftermath. It’s fun when the two authors are so different, almost every chapter is quite clearly written by one or the other.

I wound up liking it less and less as it went on. It combined Pratchett's hard science with Baxter's wit and wordplay. Uhh.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m reading The Sparrow. I hope the hosed up poo poo starts soon, I hate it when I’m promised a hosed-up spectacle and it fails to materialize.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
I just picked up a copy of The Coming of Conan and I'm pretty stoked about it honestly.

And copies of Ker Nethalas, What Lies Beneath and the first book of Fabled Lands, but those are more games than books. Gamebooks.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’m reading The Sparrow. I hope the hosed up poo poo starts soon, I hate it when I’m promised a hosed-up spectacle and it fails to materialize.

Its not going to be enjoyable hosed up poo poo lol. That book and its sequel are heavy asf. Tho the author stating that part of her inspiration was weird Columbus apologia kind of soured me on them a bit.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Its not going to be enjoyable hosed up poo poo lol. That book and its sequel are heavy asf. Tho the author stating that part of her inspiration was weird Columbus apologia kind of soured me on them a bit.

Heavy poo poo doesn’t get me down, my anti-depressants and ketamine infusions are working and I’m now able to engage with negative content without getting down in the dumps about it.

What enjoyable hosed up poo poo do you recommend, though? I’m into sci-fi, fantasy, conventional horror, and extreme splatterpunk horror provided the author doesn’t seem like they’re getting sexually aroused by their own writing. I’m also, reluctantly, willing to check out literary fiction, I guess, or at least I’ll pretend to read it so I can seem like less of a dullard to other goons.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Heavy poo poo doesn’t get me down, my anti-depressants and ketamine infusions are working and I’m now able to engage with negative content without getting down in the dumps about it.

What enjoyable hosed up poo poo do you recommend, though? I’m into sci-fi, fantasy, conventional horror, and extreme splatterpunk horror provided the author doesn’t seem like they’re getting sexually aroused by their own writing. I’m also, reluctantly, willing to check out literary fiction, I guess, or at least I’ll pretend to read it so I can seem like less of a dullard to other goons.

I just finished the sequel to the Sparrow and I liked it much less than the first. It goes through a tonal shift about halfway through and treads on some really uncomfortable territory alluded to above and isn't fully successful. Also much less hosed up poo poo happens compared to the first. It might be worth reading if you enjoy the first though

If you're looking for literary fiction F Scott Fitzgerald is a revelation if you haven't read him yet. I feel really stupid at having a schoolboy bias against him in the past but it was great getting to read through his books for the first time.

Edit I also just read Mary Oliver's New and Selected Poems vol 1 and really enjoyed it. Almost all of them were nature poems that implied much more than they said and many were profound. I just started reading the complete stories of Franz Kafka so that should be rad.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Just finished World War Z and I really liked it. It did move too fast sometimes and didn't really flesh out much, but I liked what was there and it was a story about the whole of a zombie war. Everything focuses on the beginning and this at least went through the middle and the end. I can definitely see how this could never be made into a movie. There was just so much that could be a cool anthology series, especially the Indian general.

Next up is The Perfect Horse which is supposed to be about how the Allies saved world class horses that the Nazis stole. Supposedly its a real thing that happened, and is something I feel like I've heard of before.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

everyone in World War Z sounds the exact same except for the cartoon villain chapters

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

There's an entire subforum for discussing books. Go there.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

:shrug:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

:thanks:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

so what

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

seriously, try the book barn, live a little. it's good, there's some guy in the scifi thread who posts all the latest kindle deals so you can get schlock for cheap

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also canpakes keeps getting banned whenever he tries his dogshit routine there so you can post without fear of encountering him

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

book barn can leave a bad impression at first cuz about 99% of all threads are genre fiction and YA, but it at least has this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994&perpage=40&noseen=1#post431148682

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Unfortunately it also has this

cumpantry posted:

book barn can leave a bad impression at first cuz about 99% of all threads are genre fiction and YA, but it at least has this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994&perpage=40&noseen=1#post431148682

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lol

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

:redass:

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

It's healthy for GBS to have cross over threads with other sub forums.

I'm currently reading through Shogun as quickly as I can. Have a friend who wants to watch the new Netflix adaptation.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

i decided to skip the mars trilogy and am giving solaris a read. two chapters in and its already a better book than three body problem.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I agree there's not much in the way of plot, but I'd disagree on the characterisation. That's almost the point of the series. Like the opening chapter of Red is from Maya's pov, with a strong focus on interpersonal dynamics, then you get Nadia's pov chapter which includes a page-long list of tools and swiftly dismisses all Maya's angst and politicking as teenage melodrama. Everyone's on the same planet but inhabit very different worlds.
But yeah there is the big question of "why are the megacorps funding this" or at least "how are the characters paying for their food and socks." I wonder if that's a result of its super early 90's publication date, back when "corporation" conjured up some vast and sprawling zaibatsu or whatever, rather than e.g. Musk or Zuckerberg, or Google slowly poisoning its own algorithms with ai garbage.

Well said, you made me think about it. I do enjoy this trilogy, but like I said, I am obsessed with the subject matter. I am enjoying it, but I realized these books lack "the hook" that drives much of my reading, which is the desire to "Find out what happens next". And since these books really don't have much of a plot at all, much of a story, that drive is almost completely absent. Which makes for a more academic, almost obligatory sense of reading, rather than an active hunger to keep reading.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Tommy Orange’s new book Wandering Stars is very good so far. There There was excellent and I think people are still going to be reading it and talking about it decades from now. Wandering Stars is just as good so far.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Tommy Orange’s new book Wandering Stars is very good so far. There There was excellent and I think people are still going to be reading it and talking about it decades from now. Wandering Stars is just as good so far.

Yeah I really dug "There There". I will check out Wandering Stars, thanks!

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Tony Loneman made me cry, man.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

Reynolds is real good, but I'm not sure his sci fi is "hard." Dark, definitely.

I wound up liking it less and less as it went on. It combined Pratchett's hard science with Baxter's wit and wordplay. Uhh.

I think Reynolds' Revelation Space books would qualify as hard sci fi.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I just finished Dana Czapnik "The Falconer". I loved it. It's about a teenager in NYC in the early 90s, navigating teenage stuff, playing basketball, etc. Nothing earthshattering content-wise, just perfect for me. I wish it had been around when I was a teenager. I got sad looking at Goodreads and 95% of the reviews were from women and the one guy was like "uhh I couldn't relate to the girl character, too feminist". It was good as hell and I am a dude. Check it out if you are one of the four people on here that don't solely read scifi/fantasy.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i am reading kwaidan and it's sick. samurai priest with a human head clenched to his sleeve and he's like lol what of it. the last book i read referred to ending a phone call as 'cancelling' it and it happened a lot and the book sucked rear end

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Doctor J Off posted:

What translation of War and Peace does everyone read? I've heard that Constance Garnett's is notoriously bad, are there any others someone can recommend?

others suggested P+V, but i’m going to :actually: here and say that with Tolstoy, go with The Maudes’ or revisions/updates to The Maudes’ translation. it’s a way better translation

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

My library hold on this just came up, and I'm really looking forward to starting it this weekend. I loved There There and still think about it periodically.

Currently finishing American Rust, and it's good but depressing and I'm kinda dreading the conclusion :smith:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Also the book barn is good, and since people recently mentioned Terry Pratchett, I will in turn mention that April's book club is Guards! Guards!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013975&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post538724696

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

ulvir posted:

others suggested P+V, but i’m going to :actually: here and say that with Tolstoy, go with The Maudes’ or revisions/updates to The Maudes’ translation. it’s a way better translation

You should try to sample a few of the same passages of each and just choose which you like. There's another one by Bartlett and yet another came out a few years ago, but I heard it sucks.. That being said, Garnett is not the one you're going to like.

While we're on the subject of translations, I think you'd be crazy to go with anyone over Seamus Heaney for Beowulf, but I'm sure someone disagrees.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Anyone know an English translation of The Kalevala that’s still got a good poetry about it, a good groove? Please note that this is the highest brow any of you will ever see me.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
My daughter really likes axolotls so when she saw this alphabet book "A is for Axolotl" she begged us to get it. The first page went great but then things went downhill breathtakingly quickly. It turns out the other letters don't also stand for Axolotl. Our family is in pieces. Rated one star (out of 26)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
Has your daughter seen one of those little weirdos irl op

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

All You Can Eat posted:

My daughter really likes axolotls so when she saw this alphabet book "A is for Axolotl" she begged us to get it. The first page went great but then things went downhill breathtakingly quickly. It turns out the other letters don't also stand for Axolotl. Our family is in pieces. Rated one star (out of 26)

lol get rekt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

anyone know a good book with forum moderation best practices?