Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Its a series of books where a 1980s West Virginia mining town is transported back in time to Germany during the 30 Years War. Its fun historical fiction that tries as hard as it can to be somewhat realistic. I especially love that the author makes sure to show that the people in the past were just as smart, if not smarter, than the people from the future.

This book is mainly about a series of coincidences that keep on piling up to drive the plot while all the characters are making decisions based on bad or misunderstood intel. It also focuses on some minor characters since its not part of the main novel thread, and we get a lot more time with various people from the past. Its entertaining, although it is hard to keep track of who the characters are and how they fit in the various political landscapes.

It loses some points because Gretchen Richter barely shows up, if at all. Henry Lafferts and his gang of "spies" are also absent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Jurassic Park's been on my mind since it got mentioned upthread, and I finally jumped in to give it re-read for the first time in probably 15 years. Man it holds up so far, I'm standing by my thought that it's my favorite premise for its general thriller genre, and it seems like it's paying that off so far.

Of course I love the movie, but I'm enjoying the stuff that got trimmed out of it. The whole intro tracing procompsognathuses from isolated incidents through the medical/forensic networks to slowly figure out what's going on was a lot of fun in a very Crichton-ish way, and it only barely made it into the movies as the beach scene in Lost World. With how meh the later movies have been, it really puts me in the mood to go back to this one in a miniseries or something which could go through it without rushing through to fit it in a single film.

The part where they figure out they hosed up by only giving a poo poo when the number of dinosaurs goes down instead of up is great. Its a great book.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

I'm reading Snow Crash for the first time.

It's killing me.

I reread that a few years ago and found myself skipping over the large sections where Protagonist would talk with the AI or whatever about religion. God that poo poo was pretentious and boring.

The poo poo with the mob and the girl were awesome though. Except some of the poo poo with the girl gets super questionable.

Narzack posted:

I'd also recommend Sphere,

I should read that again. Its been a long time and I remember that book being wild.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's good to know, someone mentioned Congo earlier as a good one as well. I'll add them both to the list. I've actually read most/all of his books before, but it's probably been at least 20 years at this point :corsair: and I only really remember them in the most general sense, aside from Jurassic Park.

I reread that a year or so ago and I was mostly bored with Congo.

Timeline is probably my favorite Crichton book. I would read it again but I just can't. I've read it too many times.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Just finished World War Z and I really liked it. It did move too fast sometimes and didn't really flesh out much, but I liked what was there and it was a story about the whole of a zombie war. Everything focuses on the beginning and this at least went through the middle and the end. I can definitely see how this could never be made into a movie. There was just so much that could be a cool anthology series, especially the Indian general.

Next up is The Perfect Horse which is supposed to be about how the Allies saved world class horses that the Nazis stole. Supposedly its a real thing that happened, and is something I feel like I've heard of before.