Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i am reading kwaidan and it's sick. samurai priest with a human head clenched to his sleeve and he's like lol what of it. the last book i read referred to ending a phone call as 'cancelling' it and it happened a lot and the book sucked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

this thread bitch

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

cumpantry posted:

i have also been looking into getting a kobo. specifically a clara 2e

it's really good imo, i got that one last month or so. before i was using a 10 year old kindle with no backlight.

having a backlight (esp with the blue light filter) is a gamechanger, and the ability to read epubs without loading 3rd party software.

also i am reading 'the great mortality' which is about the black death and it's cool to read about medieval disasters

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

i was an 'i'll never read an ebook' person and then i used a kindle. the only physical books i buy now are reference books i need to flip through back and forth and weird books that can't be translated to ebook format easily, or are too old or obscure to have been digitized. idk about new kindles but the kobo has overdrive so you can check out library books it owns

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

imagine that but apart from bourne identity and hunt for red october every other book is clive cussler's entire bibliography and you have my dad's bookshelf. i did a book report on one because i wanted to do a 'grownup book' :cripes:

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

not very good so far tbh. a little pretentious

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

im reading no longer human by osamu dazai. it's really good if you just read natsume soseki's i am a cat but it wasn't existentialist enough

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

kokoro was really really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

kntfkr posted:

Another translated book I really liked was Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata.

this has been on my radar a while now, good to know it's recommended here. kokoro was my introduction to japanese literature and for a very very long time it was my absolute favourite.

i think now i'm finding out they're all kinda my favourite, you read one again and there's always wordplay you didn't notice before that leads you to a sudden awakening of something entirely new. really beautiful