Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Two things: The Wonderful Adventures of Nils Holgersson by Selma Lagerlöf and The Persian expedition (or however you want to translate that title) by Xenophon.

The former is a whimsical, cosy, moral Swedish fairy story, the latter is ancient Greek war/autobio/philosophy/statecraft. The contrast works imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I finished reading Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro a few days ago, and I loving hated it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He embraced absurdism and it worked for him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I started The Glass Bead Game by Hesse but I haven't got very far because so far all it has talked about is how everything about The Glass Bead Game is too difficult to explain or be understood.

If you are hoping it will properly explain at some point, it won't. Not really. It's meant to be largely unfathomable and abstract.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's been a few years, and I would not call it an easy book to read, but I think it is interesting and worthwhile if you like philosophical meditations on the nature of intelligence and educational seclusion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just remember to go no further than #4.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to read The Ark Sakura by Kobo Abe. It's been pitched to me as a surreal satire of modern survivalism, but I'm struggling to get into it because I find the central character so thoroughly unpalatable. I don't care that the humour is at his expense, I just don't enjoy spending time in his viewpoint.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I read the Martian and thought it was p weak tbh. Too many contrivances and coincidences, characters were one note, whole thing smelled of IFLScience writing. Never saw the film.

e - I never read any of his other stuff because that was supposedly the best of his work.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I find audiobooks too slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I'm not doing anything I would much rather read the book myself. If I am doing something, there is such a fine balance point between "too slow, painful to listen to" and "too fast, not catching the content" that I just cannot be arsed to carefully locate it. Podcasts I only need to catch 40% of the context of can fill that space.