Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading Capital: A Portrait of 21st Century Delhi, by Rana Dasgupta. It's about how India's 90s economic liberalisation and other earlier historical factors contributed to Delhi as it is today. It's largely told through interviews, mostly with Delhi's oligarch class but also some poor and middle class people.

I like it partly because I agree with the author's politics, but also because he usually writes fiction so the prose is more interesting than usual. I also like books that are a deep dive into a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finished the book about Delhi and started
1835: The Founding of Melbourne & the Conquest of Australia by James Boyce. I like it because I live in Melbourne and the written history of the early city has been very white and elite for a long time, the book shows how messy the political situation was at that time of great change in England and how that was reflected in the colonies

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Worf posted:

The Anarchy: The East India Company, Corporate Violence, and the Pillage of an Empire
William Dalrymple

Good book

I'm reading Rejoice Rejoice: Britain in the 1980s by Alwyn Turner. It's a bit like Perlstein's books about recent American history in that it encompasses political, social and cultural events in a very readable narrative

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've started The Danube, by Nick Thorpe. It's a kind of travel/history account of tracing the Danube from the mouth in Romania to the source in Germany. I like books like this written by journalists because they sniff out interesting people and stories. I'm travelling to Europe later this year so I'm in the mood for this kind of book

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TK8325 posted:

I'm in the middle of War and Peace and I'm really enjoying it. I don't get the reputation it has as a hard book to read. It's not a difficult book at all.

Some people find the military stuff towards the end, particularly the kind of essays a bit of a drag. I found it to be a page turner though, my wife also did, and she's not into those kinds of books usually.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor J Off posted:

I guess back when Joyce was living it would be impossible to store the full readout of Finnegan's Wake. My library has an audiobook copy, so maybe I should read the book with the audio along with it to pair a supplement.

Anyone else on the Libby app by the way? It's the one that replaced Overdrive that connects to your local library system so you can rent ebooks and audiobooks from your phone. It's a handy little app for readers

I use Libby, can't complain, it does the job. Syncs well between devices
Ive been mostly reading library books for a few years, I like history and I'm not too fussy about subject so long as its well written.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have access to 3 libraries from different local government areas I've lived in around Melbourne, they all use Libby so I have a pretty good selection of ebooks to choose from.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Started Killing For Country by David Marr.
It's a history of early colonisation of Australia and all the massacre and dispossession of the indigenous people. It's partly told through biography of the author's ancestors which I think got him started on the whole thing. Very well written. We still have things named after genocidal murderers in this country

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
From the Holy Mountain by William Dalrymple

It's a history/travel book where the author loosely follows in the footsteps of 2 6th century byzantine monks through eastern Europe, Turkey and the middle east. Covers stuff about early christianity, the fall of Constantinople, the crusades and links it to what was going on in 1994 when it was written. I've read a bunch of Dalrymple's history books, he mostly writes about India, he's good. There's some very 1994 opinions in it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

I've been listening to his podcast on Empires, and it has been pretty good, too

Didn't know about the podcast, I'll check it out, cheers!