Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
FINALLY getting around to Wodehouse. We’ve had some of his books on the shelf for years and never got around to cracking them open, but a combo of general winter blues, work stress, and recently finishing North American Lake Monsters inspired starting in on The Code of the Woosters. It’s so light and… bouncy? Definitely the perfect thing to read at the end of the day right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've read a fair amount of his stuff, but most/all of the Wooster & Jeeves stories, they just clicked perfectly. Just very good, densely packed comedic writing, and adding such a specific narrative voice put them a step ahead of his other stories.

All our Wodehouse is Jeeves & Wooster. I also have a Robert Aickman collection I’ve been meaning to dig into, but it’s all Wodehouse all the time until morale improves.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Samovar posted:

Yiddish Policemen's Union, and so far am enjoying it. Good, vivid descriptions of the world it's set in. Described the flavour of a good beer perfectly: bitter caramel.

I re-read this last year and man does it still slap. I wish the Coen brothers adaptation had gotten off the ground.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I’m reading Robert Aickman’s Cold Hand in Mine. It’s my third collection by Aickman (well, one collection was actually his novel The Late Breakfasters with a handful of random short stories thrown in by the publisher for some reason) and so far it’s very strong. It has one of my favorite stories of his in it, The Hospice (https://xpressenglish.com/our-stories/hospice/), which I read some time ago.

People say Aickman’s stories are often inscrutable, and I agree, so long as you approach them as a simple retelling of events. They often seem like allegories about confusion and distress over sexuality, identity, relationships, modernity, and pretty much every other normal form of human interaction; the fact that his musings are shoved into the armor of weird stories about strange things happening obliquely to eccentric people isn’t just a formality to elevate it above journal entries, but also serves a point to heighten the readers unease about the themes even if they don’t share his perspective on life (and give you a reason to actually read it all).

It also mimics the way we exist. You get up, things happen. You may or may not know why, but you feel like you do know, or at least you should. You are moved on to the next event forcibly by time, whether or not you have time to figure out why what happened happened. Life can be maddeningly vague, especially if you were taught all experiences can be qualified with a positivist method, and in times when you find yourself especially stricken by the vagueness, even normal events can feel as though they’re brimming with immanent, esoteric meaning.