Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
after i mostly quit drinking i started reading a lot more because i was just bored with video games. ive been focusing on books with interesting magic systems. i like sci fi too,

also going to promote kobo as a place to also buy books digitally. they have lots of deals and some of the books are drm free

incoming :

children of time: sci fi. modified animals that create their own society. i only read the first 2 so far, but different species in each.

foundryside: very good. female MC. magic is kind of like programming, and essentially the MC interacts with it unique to the world.

Unnatural Magic: the sequel is Ruthless Ladys Guide to Wizardry. i dont know if they are considered together, but it follows the same characters (ish). more romance based but described troll life as a sort of hippy-ogre (in my mind). female MCs

Malevolent Seven: Male MC who is able to use magic because he made a deal with a devil. i think most magic has to come from somewhere else for humans. devil/angels are among the races. implies a sequel but nothing yet

Black Prism: magic comes from lights and colors. very good. 5 books. DO NOT MISS

A Deadly Education: wizard school. magic is eaten by creatures and essentially wizards dump their kids in a "school" the locks down until graduation, to protect them from the world. if they cant survive too bad. but of course creatures come in. female mc

just started Ninth House. i think its wizard illuminati.

tom holt is also good for contemporary fantasy. and i like chuck palakniuk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU