Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

BigHead posted:

I'm plugging my way through The Dark Forest trilogy for the second time. It's pretty good sci fi. Also it is a look into Chinese culture where the Chinese culture isn't the star of the show. Like an American writing about Chinese culture will make the culture some big obstacle or spectacle or something. It's refreshing just reading what people do someplace that isn't my country. Although this author really leans into the trope of everyone getting a label and acting in accordance with that label.

Like oh redshirt is Lutheran and we'll call him "Lutheran redshirt" and here's a list of characteristics that all Lutheran people share therefore this is exactly how Lutheran redshirt will behave and he's going to retire and tell us stories about Lutherans until the moment of his very Lutheran death.

There's not a lot of complexity in characters. One guy literally dedicated his entire life to solving a math problem, and that was his only personality trait. Just Math Problem Dave.

Great trilogy though, would recommend.

I’m enjoying it a lot too, it’s a very fresh perspective on what humans and aliens interacting might be like

the first book dragged a bit before I got what was happening and then it really got to me in a good way

there also are an awful lot of wise, older chinese men who take one look at a young women and how her face is pretty like the sun, on a starlit moonscape, like unto the golden days of yor, and he knew then she had to be mine “oh yes am I shall date you forever, oh wise older chinese guy, because of how hot a lady it is that I am”

reminds me of this trope:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Szechwan posted:

I just read the Dark Forest trilogy, which was pretty great but also a bit hard to get into due to the Chinese-to-English translation. The storytelling was kinda janky early on, particularly the simulation bit. I'm very afraid of what D&D do to it in the upcoming Netflix adaptation, but at least they have a completed work to build on.

the trailer looks like the netflix show is focusing on the early set up in book one and the mystery of “what’s happening” is the hook, that could be good

naem
May 29, 2011

Blood Meridian was an intense read, I can’t imagine a movie adaptation being as dark as needed. Not sure I even want to see that on a screen personally.

I tried to read Sutree next and couldn’t get past the bunch of drunk homeless guys wacking off in a boat, like I’m sure there is some kind of really great deep artistic thematic something something going on but just, too much boat spanking

naem
May 29, 2011

Aliensandwich posted:

I've been chipping away at Blood Meridian over the past couple of months. I always want to chug a glass of water and take a shower after every couple of chapters.

I'm not super familiar with Wild West/ desert vocabulary, so I'm doing a lot of googling lol

it is an amazing work of art but it made me fell like, a bad person

naem
May 29, 2011

I read The Fold at this thread’s recommendation

good light sci fi romp, wouldn’t mind more in that universe if the author had some more in mind