Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It doesn't really count since I finished it a few weeks back, but a book that really stuck with me was LTI - Lingua Tertii Imperii by Victor Klemperer; a quasi-academical/memoir of a Jewish linguistic professor who survived Nazi Germany who tells how he survived through the framing of the language used by the Nazis and how it influenced the general population.

If you like Eco's Ur-Fascism, I'd definitely recommend this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yiddish Policemen's Union, and so far am enjoying it. Good, vivid descriptions of the world it's set in. Described the flavour of a good beer perfectly: bitter caramel.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Earwicker posted:

i enjoyed the book but yeah the movie is better. the book has several other plotlines that were cut from the movie, of varying quality. also a lot of stuff that ended up in the second movie as the basis for the young vito story.

I have to admit, I'm glad the vaginoplasty plotline wasn't included.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I started reading 'Lovecraft Country', reached a section which made me think, '...is the author of this book white?', looked it up, found that it was indeed the case, and now really can't get back into it (also with the fact it isn't really grabbing me).

Still trying to get through Stone Butch Blues but... That's a hard one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, that was weird, I read it a while back and had the same realization. I was also mixed on it anyway, but with the specific characters and themes it covers, having "but written by a white guy" hanging over it the whole time didn't do it any favors.

At what point did you get that feeling? I got it when I was reading about Horace's doodles on the gas station stops indicating which places were safe for black peoples, and one of the 'safe' icons mentioned among castles, oases and tree houses was 'hobbit holes', and that was what made me think 'hold on a second'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I WAS trying Quo Vadis, but am thinking of giving it up, despite it having a pretty good research base into Nero-era Rome, because it is too much if a 'just-so' story. It ain't no I, Claudius.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman - it's interesting enough, but... I dunno it isn't fully grabbing me to say that I like it.

I've also got Hermann's Comanche comic series that I'm thinking of making a translation project of (to train my Swedish).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Non-fiction book, but 'The War of the Fists' by Robert C. Davis - which details the history of an old Venetian tradition of a bunch of men beating the poo poo out of each other in order to occupy a bridge. It's like if Fight Club was crossed with WWE and was in the Renaissance era, along with the analysis of how it was a bunch of machismo posturing that did very little but provide a public show.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Love in the Time of Cholera. So far it has been very evocative, but it's... Not grabbing me as much as I would like; cannot quite articulate why, though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Did Jesus Exist? by Bart Ehrman which, while the historical evidence FOR Christ is well-argued enough, there is a gigantic textual error in it which I sincerely hope was addressed in later editions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

madmatt112 posted:

“I am not who you say I am.”

Not sure how we missed it till just now

Nah, it was a bit where he was in explaining that divine beings having a non-divine twin is something that is seen outwith Jesus (Thomas in question being the supposed twin), and he gave the example of Heracles, in that Alcmene slept with Amphitryon after the visitation by Zeus, resulting in the birth of 'the immortal Zeus and the mortal Iphicles'.

Obviously he meant to write 'the immortal Heracles'. Zeus did not have sex with and then be born from Alcmene. Must have been a copy-paste error, and didn't remove anything from the actual arguments made, but it was pretty noticable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

From the Holy Mountain by William Dalrymple

It's a history/travel book where the author loosely follows in the footsteps of 2 6th century byzantine monks through eastern Europe, Turkey and the middle east. Covers stuff about early christianity, the fall of Constantinople, the crusades and links it to what was going on in 1994 when it was written. I've read a bunch of Dalrymple's history books, he mostly writes about India, he's good. There's some very 1994 opinions in it though

I've been listening to his podcast on Empires, and it has been pretty good, too