Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m reading about the Plantagenet Kings of England because I’d always assumed they sounded pretty dull, but it turns out they did things like “arrange the massacre of the Archbishop of Canterbury on the altar of his own Cathedral” and other stuff that very clearly inspired Game of Thrones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

I like Vonnegut a lot because I think he does a better job than just about anyone at seeing through all the bullshit in the world but not letting it doompill him. Like his books are all about "haha yeah humanity is chock-full of stupidity and ridiculousness but you should still be kind to people goddammit."

Well, Galapagos is kind of doompilled as I understand the term (because it’s about how civilisation collapses, and the remnants of humanity evolve into seal-like creatures), but also not really (because it makes being a seal-like creature sound great)

I guess Vonnegut is maybe a challenge to the whole idea of doompilling really, in that way, being able to amiably accept all the horrors he himself has lived through. Like Vonnegut is pessimistic and fatalistic— but also seems to be pretty chill and happy?