Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Tommy Orange’s new book Wandering Stars is very good so far. There There was excellent and I think people are still going to be reading it and talking about it decades from now. Wandering Stars is just as good so far.

My library hold on this just came up, and I'm really looking forward to starting it this weekend. I loved There There and still think about it periodically.

Currently finishing American Rust, and it's good but depressing and I'm kinda dreading the conclusion :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Also the book barn is good, and since people recently mentioned Terry Pratchett, I will in turn mention that April's book club is Guards! Guards!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013975&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post538724696

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I like reading physical books (except they are harder on my hands :negative: ), I like reading ebooks on my Kindle, and I like listening to audiobooks.

I have never been able to enjoy reading on my phone or a tablet though.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Thesaurus posted:

Does anyone like latin american authors? I'm slowly and sporadically reading Gabriel Garcia marquez's novels and I'm yet to be disappointed. Currently reading "chronical of a death foretold" (crónica de una muerte anunciada) which has proven to be more fun than some of the others. It's kind of a reverse detective story. A guy is brutally killed but you already know why and by whom-- the details are just being pieced together through the recollections of the town folk. It should be a quick read but my brain is ravaged by lack of sleep due to baby stuff

I recently read my first novel by Isabel allende (the house of spirits / La casa de los espíritus) and it was pleasant being absorbed in that world. It's got a dose of the Marquez magical realism, but a bit more down to earth with the story telling.

Have you read any Carlos Fuentes?

I'd recommend The Death of Artemio Cruz.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Earwicker posted:

my favorite is Jorge Luis Borges. he mainly wrote short stories, and also essays. his short stories are fascinating, some of the best i've ever read, especially the ones from the collections "the Aleph" and "the Garden of Forking Paths"

also recently read the Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vásquez and quite enjoyed it

Top tier recs.

Borges' short stories are incredible

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Earwicker posted:

im visiting my parents a grabbed a haul off my dad's bookshelf to take back. some are his and some were mine from a long time ago

I keep meaning to reread Doomsday Book, but it absolutely destroyed me when I read it years ago.

My now-husband recommended it to me and then came home one evening shortly after I finished it to find me sobbing.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Enfys posted:

My library hold on this just came up, and I'm really looking forward to starting it this weekend. I loved There There and still think about it periodically.

Currently finishing American Rust, and it's good but depressing and I'm kinda dreading the conclusion :smith:

Finished American Rust, which was good but an absolute gut punch as anticipated, then went straight to his next book The Son, which completely blew me away. One of the best books I've read in recent memory. Goddamn the growth in Meyer as an author between those two books. What a ride.

I just finished Wandering Stars, which was again a strong second work that showed a lot more writing chops compared to the first.

Reading Ridgeline now by Michael Punke, author of The Revenant, which isn't nearly as good in terms of writing or story, but I guess I just can't stop reading about the conquest of Native Americans and the exploitation of the land and its inhabitants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wondered if part of the problem was I had already read so knew how it ended, so tried first Dragonbone Chair book by same author. Not a train wreck but again horribly slow paced so I bailed after ten hours when felt like we were still in the prologue, & I guessed wouldn’t be worth committing when the big bad is established as a villain by killing a puppy.

Thanks - I had a library hold on the audiobook after seeing it randomly in a list when browsing books. I definitely don't want to read about puppy death or have the patience for that kind of writing.

I recently finished The Reformatory by Tananarive Due.

It's set in Florida in 1950, and a 12 year old black boy is sent to a reformatory school for boys. It's a mix of a historical fiction with supernatural/horror elements and is loosely based on the author's family member who died in a notorious reformatory school in 1937.

Really griping read, really great writing, but it's pretty brutal and bleak.