Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I recently finished Altai-Himalaya by Nikolai Roerich because I got curious what does an 1920s russian spiritualist mystic/renowned artist/possible Soviet spy has to say.
He led an expedition from India through Himalayas into China, than through China into USSR and through Mongolia into Tibet, which they barely escaped back to southern Himalayas.
The book is not very good, mostly a strained attempt to shoehorn his experiences into a propaganda piece for his global project of a unified Panasian state and one world philosophy.
Second half has more of a travel diaries format, and thus more interesting, if at least 50% of what he wrote is true 20s east China was an utter hell. It was Republican China back than but seemingly inherited a shitton of degeneracy from imperial times. Tibet is destribed as 10 times worse, near complete failed state. There are barely 4 paragraphs dedicated to their travels in USSR filled by nothing but sugary praise lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Borges is very good. At some point I devoured all of his fiction that I could find.

As for Nabokov, I was surprised to find that his book Ada or Ardor is technically scy fi of sorts. Everything happens on another planet, they are aware of Earth (Terra) and are convinced for some reason that it's a much better place than their own cursed Daemonia.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Earwicker posted:

i just started Life and Fate by Vassily Grossman. a huge tome filled with every evil WW2 wrought in Russia and Germany in the form of a fiction following one family (but based fairly closely on Grossman's own life, according to the intro). so far its very well written and harrowing

also reading Dragonriders of Pern at the same time for some head space. its not exactly "light" but at least its got dragons and no nazis.

I read Life and fate but no book has shook me quite as much as The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littel. Everyone should read it

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

He wrote a bunch on this theme. Fiasco is not as philosophical as Solaris but IMO more impactful. I think it is also the last book he ever wrote.