Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Shiney McShine posted:

Currently enjoying another great psychological murder case, featuring Inspector Maigret The Little Man from Archangel. Well written by Georges Simenon.

simenon is great, but i think his romains durs (non-maigret books basically) are even better. he is brutally efficient with character and plot in a way where you're like, yeah, that's the exact minimum to get a good story and he nailed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Wish there was more media that just took place in monasteries.

you seen either or both versions of "the nun"? not the american horror movie. the 1966 jacques rivette one or the 2013 guillaume nicloux. they both kind of shred. it's convents and not monasteries but who's splitting hairs

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

A Strange Aeon posted:

Also Sister Act

cmon son

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I just finished Dana Czapnik "The Falconer". I loved it. It's about a teenager in NYC in the early 90s, navigating teenage stuff, playing basketball, etc. Nothing earthshattering content-wise, just perfect for me. I wish it had been around when I was a teenager. I got sad looking at Goodreads and 95% of the reviews were from women and the one guy was like "uhh I couldn't relate to the girl character, too feminist". It was good as hell and I am a dude. Check it out if you are one of the four people on here that don't solely read scifi/fantasy.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Greek bank robber, rich-guy-kidnapper, and Robin Hood figure Vassilis Palaiokostas wrote a book called A Normal Life, which details his many prison breaks (including two by helicopter in the 2000s!), robberies, police chases and so on, along with some interesting stuff about growing up in the mountains of central Greece and his own anarchist beliefs. He wrote it while on the run from justice and still is.

While you can tell he's not a professional writer, it's great to hear the unfiltered dope from a figure like that. It's like a more political You Can't Win mixed with Trick Baby mixed with Papillon but the guy doesn't have the fabulist's imagination to make his (already incredible) exploits seem fictionalized and fake. Minus a few moments where he juices his badass image in anecdotes about interactions with prison wardens etc.