Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I read Left Hand of Darkness, it was emotionally exhausting but I really enjoyed it. The exploration of a hermaphroditic human subspecies and the impact that hermaphroditism has on societal roles was food for thought.

Also read the first three Earthsea books. It was a nice change of pace from other fantasy books. Her writing is captivating and so beautiful. I appreciate how the conflict in the books is often internal to a character or externalized in a metaphor/representation of some intangible concept. Instead of good guys and bad guys with weapons and the need to overpower the other to “win”.

My first encounters with LeGuin and I am very impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Thanks to both of you for the Dispossessed recommendation - I put it on hold at the library the day after I finished Left Hand. Looking very much forward to reading it. I’m also going to find the short story about the kemmer houses because why not life is short. Phoneposting so I can’t quote your posts but feel free to imagine that sweet purple dopamine hit now.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Listening to Discworld audiobooks. Just finished The Truth and it was excellent, now on Monstrous Regiment and it is fun.

Ahhh, Discworld. My old friend.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Narzack posted:

I'm reading this book called Nimitz Class by Patrick Robinson, who is apparently the ghost writer of Lone Survivor. I've had it in my library since I was a teenager, so I know I must have read it, but I don't remember a thing about it. I'm halfway through it, and it SUUUUUUCKS. A lot of, and I mean a LOT, of ARE TROOPS worship, a lot of THOSE DUMB LIBERAL MEDIA FUCKFACES and Manly Men Midwestern Cowboy Rancher Republican poo poo. Like, you know this dude knows exactly what Bush dick tastes like. Plus all the western civilization is the right one and the middle east is a lawless toilet. It's just dumb. I read a few Tom Clancy books when I was a kid, now I'm reluctant to revisit them, even though I've been wanting to reread Red October for a while.

I make bad life choices.

Is Bush dick what you get when two or more bros go a-campin’ in the woods for a few nights?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

redshirt posted:

In Blue Mars updates, the book actually got vaguely interesting as it goes into further colonization of the solar system. And specifically some of the funky cultures and environments out there. A train city. A basically 3d habitat. Etc.

I’m sold, putting a library hold on it now.

E: ah, the first book is Red Mars.

madmatt112 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 29, 2024

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Narzack posted:

And one of the dicks 'accidentally' shoots someone.

:lol:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Well now I’m doubly excited to read it :colbert:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Baxter wrote The Long Earth with Terry Pratchett. I really enjoyed it back in my 20s. An imaginative romp through alternate worlds, and IIRC a bitchin’ eco-climax that really made me want to read the next one to find out how they wrote the aftermath. It’s fun when the two authors are so different, almost every chapter is quite clearly written by one or the other.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

lol that is a batshit concept, I love it

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

mst4k posted:

My SO and I read before bed like literally from sit coms and lately I've been reading the Drizzt Forgotten Realms series and I'm on book 8 and I'm like well over 45 years old lol

That’s some hearty comfort food. RA Salvatore is fun.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

DicktheCat posted:

I've seen the names of Butler and Leguin tossed around these here forums a lot, and always glowingly.

But I'm not sure where to start with either of them. Their works seem densely packed with important ideas, which can be a little intimidating when trying to narrow down which one to wade into.

Does anyone have recommendations for either or both? Preferably with a more hopeful bent.

Leguin: Like fantasy? Read “A Sorcerer Wizard of Earthsea” and the next two if you enjoyed it. Like sci-fi? Read either “The Dispossessed” or “Left Hand of Darkness”.

Earthsea is six books to be read in sequence. I’ve only read the first three, which were her original trilogy. She wrote the other three some years later. The other two books I mentioned are part of the Hainish Cycle, all of which can be read in any order. They nominally share a universe but no characters, plot, nor settings.

Subjectively, Earthsea felt more upbeat even though the themes are no less heavy than the Hainish two. Felt lighter than Left Hand, which I read immediately after Earthsea - that book was emotionally draining but also was more interesting because it explored sexuality in a way that felt more… relevant? Impactful? To the human experience than Earthsea’s themes. But this paragraph is just my own thoughts.

madmatt112 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 28, 2024

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Following up to say that I’m 90% through The Dispossessed and I think it’s the stronger book of the two Hainish I listed above. I think it hit me harder because the society the Annaresti built could feasibly happen in our own future, but the physical differences of the Gethen people make that more difficult to imagine for us H. sapiens

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

AARD VARKMAN posted:

whoa you think the dispossessed is stronger? I read Left Hand of Darkness last year and it was legit one of my favorite sf novels ever, I dont hear about The Dispossessed nearly as much but :staredog:

Yeah, I completed the Dispossessed and I stand by my assessment. The plot, the intrigue, the intensity, the action of LHOD is cranked up higher than dispossessed - but I still felt moved more by the latter even so. V interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Samovar posted:

Did Jesus Exist? by Bart Ehrman which, while the historical evidence FOR Christ is well-argued enough, there is a gigantic textual error in it which I sincerely hope was addressed in later editions.

“I am not who you say I am.”

Not sure how we missed it till just now