Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i'm rereading musashi. i like it because it is an epic adventure starring an indefatigable samurai who is the best at fighting. it's also boring enough to make it good for reading before sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I am reading a book called Bad Nature or With Elvis in Mexico by Javier Marías. I like that it is very short and I will finish it in bed tonight.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm still reading Cum Meridian.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Captain Hygiene posted:

One of Cumsack McGirthy's greatest works

lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

TheMostFrench posted:

I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, and it's interesting to read a chapter about blood transfusion where the most suitable donor is a strong young man who loves his wife the most, and women are never considered. It's not a surprise or anything, the theme of men trying to care about and provide love to their partners in the face of unquestionable evil is a strong theme - the incredible power of bravery in the face of unimaginable evil is treated almost like science fiction.

This was my wife's first english language novel that she finished and we wound up naming our daughter Mina.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm reading Ubik and it's good.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I wound up reading a lot of ebooks on my phone in China. Not the best experience but I was still glad to be able to access poo poo

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I have a big gently caress off hardcover LeGuin book that I bought cuz the cover and her name (didn’t know her but cool name) The Real and Unreal, I think it’s called. I really like what I’ve read. Favorite story was about a town that physically moves around the map.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Also reading the booklet that comes with Have a Nice Life’s Deathconciousness.

It’s….weird!!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

lol I wrote a 5 book series, but it will never be popular because the overriding drift is to punish the OP

Also, it's a giant poem like Greek stories of yore.

Was it published?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

No sir. I tried. I spent a solid year trying everything I could think of. To meet with absolute failure, and I gave up entirely. I don't think I've read a word of those books since.

I’m sorry to hear that. Don’t lose the dream!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
They sound like they do, no offense. I mean the writing dream.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I’m reading a book called Septology whoch was nominated for a nobel prize or something, it said so on the cover.

Went like twenty pages before the first period. It sucks.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I really liked Ubik so now I’m reading A Scanner Darkly. It’s about drugs and optical camouflage

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

R.L. Stine posted:

im reading no longer human by osamu dazai. it's really good if you just read natsume soseki's i am a cat but it wasn't existentialist enough

I’ve read everything of dazai’s that has been translated. Strong recommend. So emo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

cumpantry posted:

how about soseki

I never read Soseki but probably will at some point. I wound up reading a lot of Dazai while living in Akita.

Another translated book I really liked was Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata.

But my favorite translated into English from Japanese book is probably The Cape and other stories from the Japanese Ghetto by Kenji Nakagami. I wish more of his stuff was available in English.