Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Grey Cat posted:

Me, who is not reading a book, sneaking into the thread in hopes of finding a book to read.

Kokoro by Soseki Natsume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

and World War Z

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Grey Cat posted:

Looks like it's the final in a trilogy?
Should I be reading the first two?

huh. i wasn't aware of that LOL. well i dont think i'm missing anything but you never know. still good readan

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

:crossarms:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

mono gender casts like The Thing ftw. i was curious how many films feature all women though so i found this wikipedia article

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_featuring_an_all-female_cast

The following 24 pages are in this category, out of 24 total.

... :(

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

wait thats movie... still

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i cant ive only read Stoner

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

which is the best book ive ever read, also

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i dont see the application of audiobooks without a real commute to listen to them through. sitting in traffic for an hour is miserable so i understand craving a story. but when else am i supposed to feel like specifically listening? am i meant to sit on the couch and just close my eyes or something? lay in bed? very strange concept. if i'm specifically reading then i'm taking the time to understand the author and that means rereading passages or just in general setting my pace. otherwise im meant to pretend theres just this guy in my living room talking to me who i cant stop and ask for clarification without screeching the brakes? i like to listen to music while reading, now ive got to gently caress around with an audio mixer like im producing an album just to balance it and whatever rear end in a top hat i have yapping in my ears. it really would be different if a trained orator recited a tale before me but that but canned doesnt sound that appealing. the more i ramble about this the more set in my way i feel that audiobooks are lame as hell. dont even get me started about the Nintendo Switch

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i guess if i had a planned chore day they could work, cuz individually those tasks don't usually take more than thirty minutes... at a speaker's pace, what is that, the prologue?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

he's alright

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

V brings the heat

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

:sludgepal:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

versunkene Kosten

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Spinz posted:

Reading Shogun again because of the hulu series and I'm having to do it online for free on my phone [I'm poor,] and man do I hate reading a book online. It's literally less pleasurable.

I am extremely grateful I found it though

I read super fast and I SO miss all of my paperbacks

try your local library

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

everyone in World War Z sounds the exact same except for the cartoon villain chapters

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

so what

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

book barn can leave a bad impression at first cuz about 99% of all threads are genre fiction and YA, but it at least has this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994&perpage=40&noseen=1#post431148682

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lol

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

:redass:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Smugworth posted:

I'm partway through The Three Body Problem but it's kind of a snooze

hearing others say the same

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

R.L. Stine posted:

this thread bitch

i have also been looking into getting a kobo. specifically a clara 2e

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I finally sank to the level of reading a web serial (Super Supportive) recently and was surprised by how dark mode made the phone reading experience actually not terrible. Still vastly prefer the e-reader experience but I can put some hours in on royal road without eye pain or anything apparently

when will you read mine?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

AARD VARKMAN posted:

what kind of cool super powers are in yours

the super power of passion

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

from the way i hear borges described the man is unparalleled. even nabokov couldnt talk poo poo. so im saving one of his stories for waaay later in this new hobby of mine before i go ahead and ruin the rest of literature early. then again i read Stoner

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

TheMostFrench posted:

My sister in law has all of the Discworld novels, so I've been borrowing a few of those at a time this year.
I finished Going Postal last week and now reading Making Money.

These books are really engaging and it's been so easy to follow and imagine the way characters communicate with each other, normally I struggle to picture anything that's going on, but this writing has been.. convincing, I guess?
i've also been getting into these since Guards! Guards! was book barn's botm, and i'm reading Wyrd Sisters now. theyre fun books and i like them but the reason theyre so easy to follow lies in how unchallenging the text is written. if you struggle to picture what's going on in books i would just recommend reading more, and more difficult works at that

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

kntfkr posted:

I really liked Ubik so now I’m reading A Scanner Darkly. It’s about drugs and optical camouflage

watch it after it's very strange

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

im gonna read that soon. and the soseki one, kokoro is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

kntfkr posted:

I’ve read everything of dazai’s that has been translated. Strong recommend. So emo.

how about soseki