Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
I've been chipping away at Blood Meridian over the past couple of months. I always want to chug a glass of water and take a shower after every couple of chapters.

I'm not super familiar with Wild West/ desert vocabulary, so I'm doing a lot of googling lol

Aliensandwich fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

naem posted:

it is an amazing work of art but it made me fell like, a bad person

Yeah for sure. It really manages to feel like a grand epic adventure while simultaneously being an incredible bummer the whole time.

lovely people bein' lovely

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Bottom Liner posted:

really curious how that film is going to turn out and what they do with the character of The Kid

Yeah, same tbh. It's gotta be a tricky movie to make structure-wise, considering how dense the story is, let alone the subject matter.

Dennis D'onofrio as Judge Holden is a solid choice tho

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Bottom Liner posted:

Really wander how much of a participant they'll make him vs observer, since so much of the book leaves that unsaid, and that makes for a vastly different story based on interpretation.

That's very true. His presence is pretty vague at times, especially during attacks led by Glanton.

He does do a lot of cruel/ brutal things explicitly, like the flashback of him teaching the gang to make gunpowder out in the wild, which ended up being an insidious calculated slaughter.

I feel like a miniseries could do the story justice due to its density