Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Reading The Obsidian Path omnibus, by Michael R. Fletcher. On the third part, An End to Sorrow. It’s about a thousands-year dead, recently revived amnesiac evil emperor of a fantasy world. He’s comically evil, and all his attempts at resisting his evil nature are utterly futile, when he tries to be good he ends up being twice as bad. Reminds me of Elric, but with fewer positive qualities. The whole thing reminds me of Moorcock’s oeuvre, am guessing but am pretty sure it was intentionally written as like an homage. Anyway, you go, Khraen! You sacrifice those souls! You behead those wizards! Keep acting on impulse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Everybody recommended The Spear Cuts Through Water to me, and I liked the first half, until they killed my favorite character, the disgusting, diseased, deformed, foul-smelling, giant talking telepathic tortoise and I quit reading it. Also I could tell the two protagonists were totally gonna gently caress, and I thought one of them was way too good for the other on account of not being a mass murderer. I’ll probably finish it someday. I was looking for something like Imajica, anybody know any weird epic fantasy like that? No China Mieville, please.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I’m reading The Sparrow. I hope the hosed up poo poo starts soon, I hate it when I’m promised a hosed-up spectacle and it fails to materialize.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Its not going to be enjoyable hosed up poo poo lol. That book and its sequel are heavy asf. Tho the author stating that part of her inspiration was weird Columbus apologia kind of soured me on them a bit.

Heavy poo poo doesn’t get me down, my anti-depressants and ketamine infusions are working and I’m now able to engage with negative content without getting down in the dumps about it.

What enjoyable hosed up poo poo do you recommend, though? I’m into sci-fi, fantasy, conventional horror, and extreme splatterpunk horror provided the author doesn’t seem like they’re getting sexually aroused by their own writing. I’m also, reluctantly, willing to check out literary fiction, I guess, or at least I’ll pretend to read it so I can seem like less of a dullard to other goons.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Anyone know an English translation of The Kalevala that’s still got a good poetry about it, a good groove? Please note that this is the highest brow any of you will ever see me.