Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Crossing - Cormac McCarthy

First book in this trilogy hooked me, this one is even better. His writing is very matter of fact in a way that just feels serene.

The Wings of the Dove - Henry James

It's good to go slow and just let it seep. Feels like I should get a paperback and go through it with a highlighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

redshirt posted:

I enjoyed parts of Artemis, but there was plenty I did not like. He should never try and write a woman protagonist, at least until he's a much better writer.

PHM is much better than Artemis, and much more similar to The Martian.

I skipped Artemis, and thought The Martian was solid. PHM is one of my favorite books in the past 20 years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hunter S Thompson - Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail ‘72

He was loving prescient about so much of modern America.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Audiobooks are good for novels and nonfiction but for anything with heavier prose or just dense writing in general they don’t work at all for me. Something like McCarthy deserves a slow and deliberate reading.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Picked up some new books thanks to this thread

McCarthy - Sutree

Joyce - A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

James - The Wings of the Dove

Mostly read on the Kindle but it’ll be good to sit down with these in paperback and dig in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I really like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. Combination of dumb writing, good writing, dumb bullshit, and fun bullshit. I honestly can't wait til his next book

Yeah, legit the best pulpy trash out there

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aliensandwich posted:

I've been chipping away at Blood Meridian over the past couple of months. I always want to chug a glass of water and take a shower after every couple of chapters.

I'm not super familiar with Wild West/ desert vocabulary, so I'm doing a lot of googling lol

really curious how that film is going to turn out and what they do with the character of The Kid

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really wander how much of a participant they'll make him vs observer, since so much of the book leaves that unsaid, and that makes for a vastly different story based on interpretation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

kinda broke my heart when Murphy died in the last Dresden book

:lol: if i hadnt just read that last week I'd be pissed right now.

also that sucked poo poo, like the entire book. what a stupid way for that character to go. he burned 16 books worth of good will with that dumpster fire of a book.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Moral: never read a series more than seven books long

Point taken, but also they're pulpy comic level stuff, takes 3-5 of them to equal a "real" read.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

She better come back!

Oh god, that would be even worse.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

anyone know a good book with forum moderation best practices?

:lol:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The modern kindles weigh a lot less than a modern phone. Mine weighs nothing, the battery lasts over a month reading daily, and the screen looks a million times better for reading. It was also under $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Which I am thoroughly enjoying because writing like:

The author roasts pro slavery figures on a personal level fairly regularly, as well, which is shocking for a book written in 1955 by a man born in the 1890s.

Ok, I'm sold. I've been wanting to read more american history and this sounds great in topic fraught with bullshit