Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I am reading 'A Murder of Quality' by John le Carre. I like that it's a very old fashioned whodunit, and there's a lot in it about the English class system that sounds outdated but I worry is really how our ruling class consider people. A lot of descriptions of people concentrate on their accent, and associated mannerisms associated with their class or where they come from. The entire book is centred on a fictional private school that is supposed to be Eton. The traditions and mindset of the place and how people who either teach or are students there are very alien to normal folk. Most of the current politicians that have made the UK a shithole went to Eton, so it's good to have an insight into their thinking.

It's the second book in the George Smiley series, the first two books are whodunits, after this they turns into a much more realistic series about British post-WW2 spycraft. 'Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy' is the 5th book, if you've seen that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU