Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Eh to me names just eventually fit, i think were programed as humans to just accept a name no matter how silly or mundane.

Hell the School name in harry potter is Hog Warts, yet i dont even really think twice when hearing the name of it. You just kind of accepted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

NmareBfly posted:

See also: Kaka and Kiki.

Kiki is a a lovely name for a lovely woman >:I

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Last Celebration posted:

Looking at credits is a mistake, Mad Mage is a way more intimidating antagonist name than freaking Thistle. Can’t help but wonder if the moniker is a reference to the Wizardry games, I’ve never played them but still know about the first one being about defeating the Mad Wizard Andrew.

It is 100% a reference to wizardry, wizardry is huge in Japan. They even made an OVA for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NV6PcZ5e4o

It's astonishing how many game details it is faithful to

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Kiki is a a lovely name for a lovely woman >:I

Sure! I just mean in reference to 'some names don't translate well.'

Caca is poo poo in Spanish.

Someone said Kiki is also peepee but even after several googles leading me to places I didn't want to be, I cannot verify this.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Is that like the equivalent in English of, like, "Jones" or something?

Eh, close enough.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Oh, I'm sorry, did we just see dogs used for threat detection and gear toting in a dungeon? I demand recognition!

Goofy observation the orc lady "mommy birding" the medicine into Laois' mouth is very much that 'goddess exhales life into her consort' imagery I was talking about, last time. Thumb tacking a possible relationship between the two, later? Also, being flanked by two large dogs is classic Artemis/Hectate/Mistress of Animals goddess imagery. See also: Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" album cover.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well not everyone has a mollusk sword to detect danger and dogs have excellent hearing and smelling

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Arc Hammer posted:

Well not everyone has a mollusk sword to detect danger and dogs have excellent hearing and smelling

Don't you gaslight me with my own reasoning!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
EDIT: Forgot which thread I was in.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 28, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

Goofy observation the orc lady "mommy birding" the medicine into Laois' mouth is very much that 'goddess exhales life into her consort' imagery I was talking about, last time. Thumb tacking a possible relationship between the two, later? Also, being flanked by two large dogs is classic Artemis/Hectate/Mistress of Animals goddess imagery. See also: Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" album cover.

Laios getting married to an orc's chieftain sister and being pretty stoked about it would be a very Laios move.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
good ep. good orc. good cour preview.

on the subject of live-action cast, clearly the best option for Senshi would be Zach Galifianakis (helmet) + Joe Manganiello or Oscar Isaac (no helmet)

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
God, the shot of the mage alone with Falin, framed by the dragon's bones is so good. And I'm always excited to see Chilchuck having to get over his cool guy act and admit how much he cares

NmareBfly posted:

Sure! I just mean in reference to 'some names don't translate well.'

Caca is poo poo in Spanish.

Someone said Kiki is also peepee but even after several googles leading me to places I didn't want to be, I cannot verify this.

In Bisaya (and maybe some other Filipino languages?) kiki means vagina, so yeah both of them got hit with the unintended meanings

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
he's named thistle because he's a little prick

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He and Chilchuck would get along then.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

also fun fact the "correct" official name for him is supposed to be sissel but sometimes the official names are worse

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zeruel posted:

also fun fact the "correct" official name for him is supposed to be sissel but sometimes the official names are worse

Maybe she likes Ghost Trick

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean that is also from the translation that was gendering him female for a while

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zeruel posted:

Which doesn't make any sense because some of the extra materials revealed that he's named after the flower because of his purple eyes.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Yeah the official English translation of the manga messed up

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

there's no guts/gattsu level of messed up here so I'm malleable between laios/laius farlyn/falin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chuder Empire.

Gonna repeat myself but I think the Twitter crowd really oversold these episodes being where the story takes a turn into the dark and twisted. It's creepy and ghoulish but still in line with whar has come before. It's not exactly a tonal sledgehammer like when Trigun shifted gears.

And I don't think it's a bad thing, either. It feels consistent with itself and it's striking a fine balance between its darkly comedic moments without diminishing the dramatic parts. It's fun.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hihohe posted:

Eh to me names just eventually fit, i think were programed as humans to just accept a name no matter how silly or mundane.

Hell the School name in harry potter is Hog Warts, yet i dont even really think twice when hearing the name of it. You just kind of accepted it.

See also Frieren beyond journey's end and that show's ridiculously on point German names for every person and location.

The tanky warrior is literally called "Strong" while an older Wizzard is called "Thinking". Eventally you just ignore that and accept these silly words as names.

Also people in real life are called stupid stuff like Monday, or Rainbow so yeah.
Eventually all of those names which are proper nouns will feel as common as August or Iris and people will end up with names like "Optometrist" or Cardivascular.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 28, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arc Hammer posted:

Chuder Empire.

Gonna repeat myself but I think the Twitter crowd really oversold these episodes being where the story takes a turn into the dark and twisted. It's creepy and ghoulish but still in line with whar has come before. It's not exactly a tonal sledgehammer like when Trigun shifted gears.

And I don't think it's a bad thing, either. It feels consistent with itself and it's striking a fine balance between its darkly comedic moments without diminishing the dramatic parts. It's fun.

I mean its a big shift. Sure its not changing genres or anything but DM looks like its a one joke premise at first. Even with the characterization and development early on that tells you that it isn't going to be that, this is still overall more weighty than what came before. It just doesn't come completely out of the left field.

Though also like uh, with the original story a good chunk of people really did thought the story was going to wrap up at red dragon as well, so the fact it just kept continuing is a bit of a thing that is loss with knowing the anime has multiple cours lol.

e: note, i am also not on twitter so i don't know exactly have context for how people were selling this though lol

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 28, 2024

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Chuder Empire.

Dungeon Meshi has a particular quality in common with the likes of Dorohedoro and Golden Kamuy.

It can be funny and wholesome one moment, dark and hosed up the other, and it can juggle those two extremes with ease. Sometimes it can even be both at once. So yeah, the poo poo gets real and it will continue to do so, but it will never stop being funny. If anything, it gets funnier.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Chuder Empire.

you're absolutely correct. friends of mine who haven't read the show thought something Berserk Eclipse tier happened because of all the yelling and screaming about these episodes online.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sander posted:

Dungeon Meshi has a particular quality in common with the likes of Dorohedoro and Golden Kamuy.

Another great food manga, this is so incredibly true. Dungeon Meshi is Golden Kamuy with magic / Golden Kamuy is Dungeon Meshi in the snow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean the majority of my D&D sessions inevitably turn into black comedy murderhobo sprees so maybe I'm just used to following up a completed quest with a sudden "and then poo poo got worse!" turn. It was never going to be that simple when your DM is being vindictive against his players for rules lawyering their way through encounters with lucky dice rolls. The Mad Mage looks like he's the in-universe exasperated DM anyways.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah I think rather than a big turn it's more of a slow burn as the drama builds up and up. I read the manga partly because I got sick of seeing spoilers everywhere on twitter and tumblr because people seem really bad about not posting spoilers with this show and "subtly" "teasing" plot stuff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
People just need to get a friend who doesn't care about spoilers that they can just talk about stuff that happens outright in a story instead of doing that poo poo. But I guess the type of people who do that don't have friends, unlike me who has friends. I have like 5 friends, that is a lot B)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I think the difference is that the orc raid and undine scenes were considerably less graphic in the manga, so the dragon and dark mage fights actually were considerably more violent than anything that had come before

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

There are a number of indications, even before the fight with the red dragon, that this setting isn't quite so clean and silly fun as it first appears.

Laios's death to the Animated Armor in the flashback. Namari's death by Undine. Both are swift and brutal and not at all bloodless.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lost it at that gag.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
they really flubbed it by not including amounts and serving sizes in those food screens. hams could have been shown to slowly decrease in weight as The Mad Magician The Lunatic Wizard The Pissed-Off Parlor Tricker used them for his unholy magic

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

duz posted:

Lost it at that gag.

That does raise the question of whether the dragon meat (or any of the magic meat) they've been eating is still bound to the dungeon's spell. Or maybe once you eat it it stops?

Really though, what were you doing Senshi!? You're just gonna let all those hams roll away while plucking blood dragons?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
i think the general rule of the dungeon is once you digest it, it's no longer what it used to be, it's just nutrients in your tummy (or poop in your lovingly maintained dungeon latrine). unfortunately farlyn was caught smuggling three tons of undigested dragon meat in a secret compartment between her skin and her bones

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Yeah Studio Trigger usually does single-cour series; the only ones longer (all of which being 2 cour) being Kill la Kill, Ninja Slayer (which had half-length episodes), Little Witch Academia, and Darling in the Franxx (which Trigger only produced 6 episodes of). Hell I feel like Dungeon Meshi has a pretty good chance of being the very first Trigger anime to have multiple seasons (given that we are not finishing the manga in 11 episodes)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I just rewatched the fight scene -- really good scream at "GET AWAY!" from Falin's English VA! The dubbing is insanely good in this show.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I should rewatch all the episodes so far with the dub to how it is. Also good excuse to watch it again.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

I should rewatch all the episodes so far with the dub to how it is. Also good excuse to watch it again.

yeah same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/terehayakawa/status/1773423406261719173?t=xO37A-x1A0ayuEQSzOKQiw&s=19