Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm not entirely sure what laios wouldn't eat tbh

probably not dirt

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I do not truly get Kabru’s deal. What’s this man’s end game?

preventing the dungeon from getting abandoned by adventurers due to the economics of extended dungeon exploration, which would result in powerful monsters spilling forth onto the surface to wreck nearby towns and villages

his primary means of accomplishing this are:
1. "i'm gonna kill the mad mage and rule because i know i would do a good job at it"
2. loving murdering people who are substantially contributing to accelerating the rate at which the dungeon will be abandoned

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I don't think the monsters particularly want to leave, it's a pretty self sustaining ecosystem.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Zeruel posted:

I don't think the monsters particularly want to leave, it's a pretty self sustaining ecosystem.

It's really not. You have to remember that the Dungeon is a machine, a massive artificial construct designed to harness the principles of naturally occurring dungeon ecosystems in order to accumulate truly enormous amounts of mana to fuel big-time spells, like the poo poo that brought Falin back to life. It's like a geomantic nuclear reactor, with monsters as fuel rods and adventurers as control rods to help mediate the reaction.

Now, imagine what happens if the control rods stop going down

:stonklol:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zeruel posted:

adventurers are part of that ecosystem is the thing

kabru wants to avoid the impeding ecological disaster when the adventurers leave that ecosystem without clearing it out

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Marcille Does Chernobyl

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Regalingualius posted:

Marcille Does Chernobyl

3.6 Dungeon Cleaners. Not great but it's not horrifying.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I do not truly get Kabru’s deal. What’s this man’s end game?

I feel like his attitude is much like someone who is very into the Sims genre of video games: he likes to take disparate personalities, lock them in a room together, and see what happens. Based on his treatment of the scammy resurrectors, he's also the type that if a Sim is spoiling his intended design, has no issues about luring them into going swimming and deleting the ladder.

Or in more modern terminology, Laios is a blorbo that he's been rotating in his head for a while, ever since hearing about him.

...and, yeah, the fact that he's treating 'real' people that way, rather than 'fictional' characters is a concerning sign.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/borderlambs/status/1781167100234461507?t=IxXsukWyk8A1kNJjBqIYTw&s=19

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

Kabru gets people pretty well. He knows Laios will never ask his name.

That's what makes it even funnier: Kabru knows Laios is never going to ask, but he still wants him to ask. He wants it SO bad.

Rand Brittain posted:

I am assured that his ultimate and only goal is to kiss Laios on the mouth.

Everything Kabru does suddenly makes perfect sense when viewed through the lens of "This is a dude who has a crush on a guy and the guy he has a crush on does NOT get it and it's driving this poor dude insane".

https://x.com/chvvy_/status/1781093194685407602

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This is absolutely canon as far as I’m concerned.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Asterite34 posted:

It's really not. You have to remember that the Dungeon is a machine, a massive artificial construct designed to harness the principles of naturally occurring dungeon ecosystems in order to accumulate truly enormous amounts of mana to fuel big-time spells, like the poo poo that brought Falin back to life. It's like a geomantic nuclear reactor, with monsters as fuel rods and adventurers as control rods to help mediate the reaction.

Now, imagine what happens if the control rods stop going down

:stonklol:

ninjewtsu posted:

adventurers are part of that ecosystem is the thing

kabru wants to avoid the impeding ecological disaster when the adventurers leave that ecosystem without clearing it out

yeah, the orcs would (probably) handle it. the orcs who were displaced into the dungeon from the surface. if kabru has his way he'd exterminate them, judged on his reaction to laios allying with them "it's an adventurer's duty to kill orcs". not every dungeon has orcs, probably , but neither does every dungeon have a mad mage/crazed conjurer/addled abjurist at the centre of it if they're making mason jar dungeons in magic school.

in short gently caress kabru all my homies hate kabru

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
and yet Kabru participates in breaking the rules

curious!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Kabru sucks at fighting monsters and is really good at fighting humanoids would he be good at killing Orcs or would he get his rear end kicked? Where do Orcs sit on the fantasy race chart, are they demi-humans like Goblins?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

If Kabru sucks at fighting monsters and is really good at fighting humanoids would he be good at killing Orcs or would he get his rear end kicked? Where do Orcs sit on the fantasy race chart, are they demi-humans like Goblins?

Well his combat effectiveness seems to depend on reading tells and knowing his opponents' anatomy, so Orcs are probably close enough in expression and physiology to humans that he could fight them pretty well. It's not like Pokemon types where he has a rock-paper-scissors advantage

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
he'll be intensely staring at one orc trying to guess what's on their spotify wrapped while three others are charging at him just outside his peripheral vision

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the only reason he killed the corpse retrievers is they REALLY suck at fighting

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nuclear Spoon posted:

he'll be intensely staring at one orc trying to guess what's on their spotify wrapped while three others are charging at him just outside his peripheral vision

And that's when the attack comes, not from the front, but from the side from the other two Orcs you didn't even know were there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
<Senshi lays out his clever grill>

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

senshi would cook a raptor

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the dungeon is its own ecosystem and adventurers are key to balance. They exterminate excess monsters, but it is possible by balancing predatory monsters and prey monsters to create a dungeon without the need for adventurers, a self sustained dungeon if you will. This dungeon is not that, the mad mage is more concerned with his own inscrutable actions than dungeon efficiency.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the dungeon is its own ecosystem and adventurers are key to balance. They exterminate excess monsters, but it is possible by balancing predatory monsters and prey monsters to create a dungeon without the need for adventurers, a self sustained dungeon if you will. This dungeon is not that, the mad mage is more concerned with his own inscrutable actions than dungeon efficiency.

Eh, Marcille has repeatedly described the dungeon as perfectly balanced in a way she only wishes she could emulate. It is not at all a sloppy dungeon.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I just like how Orcs are animated like cute pig people and if Kabru wants to hurt them gently caress Kabru

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arc Hammer posted:

I think Kabru is only good at fighting humanoids if those humanoids are also tall men specifically. Orcs, gnomes, and half-foots can easily kick his rear end.

Sidenote: is there some legal reason why half-foots aren't called hobbits even though that's obviously what they are? It's the same way in Dungeons and Dragons where the race clearly meant to be hobbits are called "halflings".

Elves are elves, dwarves are dwarves, but hobbits are never just hobbits.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hobbits are under copyright. The very earliest Dungeons and Dragons had Hobbits and a few other Tolkien terms (ents, balrogs), they got told at some point not to do that, and so changed those things. (Ents became treants, balrogs became balors.) “Halfling” existed as a term before Tolkien so it’s in the clear.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tolkien estate is notably litigious about the term

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://x.com/EllaPhnt/status/1781379222423941436

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

everyone calling Laios the A word when it cuts both ways: he should have told Shuro's punkass they wouldn't need black magic if he hadn't gone home to recruit murder hobos

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think Kabru is only good at fighting humanoids if those humanoids are also tall men specifically. Orcs, gnomes, and half-foots can easily kick his rear end.

Sidenote: is there some legal reason why half-foots aren't called hobbits even though that's obviously what they are? It's the same way in Dungeons and Dragons where the race clearly meant to be hobbits are called "halflings".

Elves are elves, dwarves are dwarves, but hobbits are never just hobbits.

Kabru is totally good against all humanoid people. It’s his specialty after all.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

kabru the empath: "“If you prick orcs, do they not bleed?"

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Where in the show is all this Kabru information? This feels like a lot of fan fiction for a guy who has been featured in 2 episodes for all of 40 minutes

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://youtu.be/1iyHy3CGsYk?si=LH_rCHFAsznjDKOS

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
You can see Kabru's issue with fighting monsters in episode 14 (Sea Serpent). He takes out a whole group of humans by quickly rushing them down, slipping past their guard and stabbing them in exposed vital areas like the neck. When he runs into the sea serpent his internal monologue has him try to apply the same strategy, followed by him panicking when he realizes he has absolutely no idea where the carotid artery is on an enormous monster snake.

We can also see that in some ways Kabru's party doesn't seem to measure up compared to Laios' group. Rin, their magic-user, speaks bitterly and dismissively of magic school graduates when examining Marcille's spell suggesting she might not have much formal magic education. Mickbell, their thief, is the kind of idiot who thinks the labor union is unfair and that paying union dues is a bad deal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

Where in the show is all this Kabru information? This feels like a lot of fan fiction for a guy who has been featured in 2 episodes for all of 40 minutes

Idk it seems like most of the stuff in thread so far has been restricted to whats in the anime. Hes just a pretty psychopath :3 I havent seen any of the real brainrot from later Kabru yet here. Thread’s been pretty well behaved.

Just remember how calm and well behaved everyone is right now. :3

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 20, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t really know a lot about Kabru but he definitely seems like the anti-Laios; a guy who’s really, really into people and interpersonal relationships, to the point of just making extensive headcanons for them. So it’s really fitting that the thread is basically extrapolating a lot on him specifically. :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

stop pulling a kabru, kabru

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fluffdaddy posted:

This feels like a lot of fan fiction for a guy who has been featured in 2 episodes for all of 40 minutes

i believe its because people find him hot

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kabru's disturbing and disturbingly hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The anime viewer reaction to Kabru is almost identical to what the manga reader reaction to Kabru was at this point in the story. The mark of a fantastically defined character, and I'm loving it.