Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Now Tade I can get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Whenever Tade is not on screen everyone should be asking "where is Tade?"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Playing softball, obviously. Maybe flag team color guard…

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 22, 2024

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://x.com/tanijrou/status/1782179204278129032

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Fister Roboto posted:

Now Tade I can get into.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

wait this isn't the one piece thread

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The staggering irony is that Chilchuck would have the most useful and applicable encouragements out of the whole crew.:allears:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Everyone else imagines getting useful advice about workers' rights or cooking on a budget, meanwhile the only one I can manifest is Marcille insisting ancient magic is simply the logical endpoint of Be Gay Do Crime

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chilchuck being least favorite? Trash taste imo. :colbert:

Chilchuck is all of us. He is incredibly tired and doing his best and this is all so very stupid.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Inner Chilchuk is the one telling you 1) don't do work you aren't being paid for 2) lunch breaks are mandatory 3) unionize

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
he is also hated on by others of his kind for being right which is very goony

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fluffdaddy posted:

i mean sure, i meant all the hes a psycho or hes disturbing. he just seems like someone who struggles to communicate his feelings openly, unlike Laios who says exactly what he feels.

It's cause in a recent ep focused on him and his crew he's shown to be obsessed with observing and cataloging basically every single person on the island and is more than a bit emotionally manipulative, kills a couple of guys while talking about how they're not fit for society, and has a squad of very compliant followers who say things like "Yes Kabru, we all know only you deserve to rule this island."

A lot of which is at least freak coded if not straight up villainous looking.

Which is why he's such a funny character.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Those guys had it coming within the confines of this world.

I guess for me growing up in a small town, kabru knowing everything about everyone isn't really freaky to me. The dungeon parties seem pretty insular so his recall doesn't come off as weird. Again, this is to me. I can't control what other people think.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm from a sub 700 pop. town. They come across as freaks even if those guys they killed in particular were assholes. It's not the knowing it's showing that he's actively hunting the info and eavesdropping all the time like in the Bar scene. There's a different between overhearing gossip at church and...well Kabrus whole energy.

That's also ignoring that I think the insularity of the party isn't as weird as that their insular about this guy being the one true worthy monarch of the land. Especially since the way they say it implies it's very much not the first time the topic has come up.

He's a little two-faced freak who is big into "social engineering," and that's why he's funny because he's going against an equal but opposite guy and coming off way weirder for it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 22, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Now that I've thought about it some, I'd rather have a good person who's unprepared for the power of the dungeon take charge over someone like Kabru. Sure Laios has never thought about what he would do if he struck down the Mad Mage, but I trust in his good intentions and the intelligence of his friends to see him through over Kabru's scheming and cloud of yes-men.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I imagine Kabru would go full Dr. Doom. “Only Kabru shall rule!”

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fluffdaddy posted:

Those guys had it coming within the confines of this world.

I guess for me growing up in a small town, kabru knowing everything about everyone isn't really freaky to me. The dungeon parties seem pretty insular so his recall doesn't come off as weird. Again, this is to me. I can't control what other people think.

1.) Yeah all jokes aside those guy were making a living killing and robbing people. Kabru's street justice was harsh, but he explained in episode why he thought it was necessary and he made some good points.

2.) Didn't seem weird to me either. Kabru is a messy bitch who loves gossip. Small town, big town, wherever you go there's always going to be people who just know everything about everyone and want to chat with you so they can learn even more.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm not sure i've seen anything to suggest that kabru would actually be a worse person to hold power than laios and friends

his attention to detail and commitment to doing right by his principals even when it comes to murder is offputting but he doesn't seem to be evil or anything

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Chilchuk has talked about the importance of reputation before, I guess this is just showing us why. A gossipy dweeb will get all up in your drama.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Clearly Senshi should be the one to rule over the land.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

honestly he seems a bit like a laios who is hyperfixated on people instead of animals and where that makes laios harmless and endearing, kabru puts you in the place of the monsters laios is nuts for and that's a much more uncomfortable perspective to have on the same mindset. i'm not sure i'd really go making moral judgements over either of them for it, as someone who is neurodivergent they both just kinda read as neurodivergent to me, and in that context i'm not super comfortable ascribing ethical value purely to the way their mind works over their actual actions. and i think everyone is broadly ok with kabru choosing to kill the people who tried to take advantage of his party via getting them to kill each other, it's just unsettling the way he explained and came to that conclusion, right?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I... like every character

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like every character, but there are only four I would marry.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Prude.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ninjewtsu posted:

honestly he seems a bit like a laios who is hyperfixated on people instead of animals and where that makes laios harmless and endearing, kabru puts you in the place of the monsters laios is nuts for and that's a much more uncomfortable perspective to have on the same mindset. i'm not sure i'd really go making moral judgements over either of them for it, as someone who is neurodivergent they both just kinda read as neurodivergent to me, and in that context i'm not super comfortable ascribing ethical value purely to the way their mind works over their actual actions. and i think everyone is broadly ok with kabru choosing to kill the people who tried to take advantage of his party via getting them to kill each other, it's just unsettling the way he explained and came to that conclusion, right?

Most of that sounds reasonable enough, yes - I think some of the strong reaction was due to people mistakenly thinking he had condemned the bandits' souls to eternal torment.

IMO the more pressing issue is that Kabru explicitly wants to beat the dungeon and become ridiculously powerful as a result, and either explicitly believes or is cynically leading others to believe that Only He Deserves This Power. In conjunction with his calm-eyed willingness to kill, this paints a slightly more worrisome picture of his overall character. He's not necessarily a bad guy, but given the opportunity (and the corrupting influence of power), it's not hard to see how he could become one.

He's fine as an adventurer - a tad Machiavellian at times, and definitely a bit of a drama addict, but overall more reasonable and reliable than some of the complete assholes we've seen in the dungeon. I really wouldn't want to see him in a position of absolute authority, though. His ruthlessly utilitarian attitude and high opinion of his own intelligence could easily turn him into a tyrant.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Being given access to The Dungeon's power is exactly like the episode of American Dad where Steve and his friends get given morning announcement powers.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

this is where i am at. his explanation wasnt even unsettling to me. this world is not our world and we have no idea about his past or motivations.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I... like every character

Also this.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Y’all Mad Magician likers are pretty hosed up imho.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 23, 2024

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

No one in this series can be distilled into just good or just evil imo.

Its a series about the nature of food and eating, where it comes from, how it's produced, how food represents love, what it means to eat well, what it means to have to eat, what it means to eat alone and what it means to eat together.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 22, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
And what it means to eat when your diet consists if gossip and people-watching. Kabru is feasting.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i like kabru he seems funny

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Wrong. Delicious in Dungeon Meshi is a story focused entirely on dwarf bara bulge and all other details are simply evidence of Ryoko Kui's stellar worldbuilding

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oh yeah I'm not saying Kabrus evil or whatever I'm just saying he's a gremlin and not one I'd trust from what's been shown in the anime so far. Little two faced gossip with a belief only he should rule this kingdom. He's a funny little guy.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Everyone in the show so far besides maybe chilchuck is a little freak in their own way and that's fine

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

1.) Yeah all jokes aside those guy were making a living killing and robbing people. Kabru's street justice was harsh, but he explained in episode why he thought it was necessary and he made some good points.

I think he's a psycho because he made some good points. Most people would feel at least some remorse over killing people (and also ensuring that they can't be revived), but he's able to completely rationalize it all away. Even if those guys "had it coming" it's still cold-blooded super-murder.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate his character as part of the story. He's definitely interesting and well-written. But I definitely wouldn't want to be around him in real life.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Everyone in the show so far besides maybe chilchuck is a little freak in their own way and that's fine

That just means Chil is gonna be the biggest freak of them all.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think Chilchuck deserves to find the One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

That just means Chil is gonna be the biggest freak of them all.

He seem to have founded (or at least currently leads) an union. Can't get more freaky than that.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 22, 2024