Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Weird ASMR lock picking YouTube channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

IMO the more pressing issue is that Kabru explicitly wants to beat the dungeon and become ridiculously powerful as a result, and either explicitly believes or is cynically leading others to believe that Only He Deserves This Power.

i mean idk that seems like something you'd kinda assume for any adventurer braving the depths. obviously not all of them are like that but the job posting is "get to the bottom of the dungeon and become super powerful" so is it really a bad sign that kabru said "yes, that sounds like something i would like to do"? unlike laios and pals he is deeply interested in human social dynamics, extending out of just "do those two people like each other" and into the complex overarching social system that creates, and how it interacts with the dungeon as its goal. "one of these people is going to become insanely powerful, and most of them would be really bad with it. i can make sure the power doesn't fall into the wrong hands by being the person to claim it" is maybe not the most flattering conclusion, but it doesn't seem like a particularly unusual or unexpected one.

i wouldn't say kabru would be my pick for king of everything but he doesn't seem worse than "pick an average adventurer at random." also if i'm being honest i'm not sure if his party supporting him in his goal is really all that odd either? assuming kabru was upfront with them about "my goal is to actually reach the bottom and do the thing" you'd think anyone risking their lives helping him with that is going to be pretty on board with it. they're voicing that they've been around long enough to have considered that choice and decided to commit to it, through thick and thin, because they believe in their friend. it's pretty bog standard fantasy adventurer group stuff, i don't recall any instance of kabru policing or even really encouraging keeping that mindset of him, though i'll admit i could totally have forgotten about some kind of "you're all still here because you believe in me" line. in any case i think what we're seeing there is that, you know, kabru isn't the main character. we haven't had time to sit with his companions' logic and reasoning for that choice or see any of the times they may have felt conflicted about it in the past, we're just seeing the end point/status quo at a surface level. kabru's friends believe in him and are happy to say it. so what?

not to argue that anyone is wrong for having a different opinion of kabru, to be clear. just articulating and giving my reasoning for why i don't share what seems to be the common perspective on the character right now. i do think the presentation is such that you're meant to be offput by him, at least a little, but from the information given he doesn't seem like a bad guy to me. his detailed descriptions of others' social activity mostly comes off to me as equivalent to laios saying he wants to feel a plant carry him while it lays its seeds under his skin - strange and kind of funny

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
Chilchuck's got three kids to feed, man!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Look, the thing you need to remember about Kings is that they generally suck pretty bad. Nobody who wants to be a King should ever be a King. Ideally there should be no King at all, but if there must be a King he should be some guy who's kinda :smith: about the job but dutifully does it anyway because he understands how important it is, not a guy who's apparently convinced that he's a shoo-in for Best King. You really really don't want a Dunning-Kruger King on your hands

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
yeah, but you also don't want the guy who accidentally helped fund weapon smuggling because he has the social awareness of a pinecone

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Konnichiwa

Oops wrong series about food.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 22, 2024

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Make Chilchuck the king of the dungeon or w/e. He'd support workers' rights.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kabru discourse will continue until morale improves.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Synthbuttrange posted:

Kabru discourse will continue until morale improves.

good it rules

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Personally I vote for Kabru's dog man guy to be king.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
when kabru first showed up in the manga I thought he was a lady for a while.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Personally I vote for Kabru's dog man guy to be king.

his name is KURO and he is a KOBOLD and you will RESPECT him

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

puppy doggy

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
He'd sell his soul for a rancid steak. We do not want him in charge.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

kidcoelacanth posted:

his name is KURO and he is a KOBOLD and you will RESPECT him

he has weird human appendages, idk about respecting him

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The people toes are upsetting.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
fingers and toes rule actually. Dogs would be twice as cool if they had fingers and toes to wear people shoes and stab stuff with people knives.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't want to have to convince my dog he needs to wear shoes. It was bad enough bathing the drat thing when it just had paws. Hands and feet would be a deal breaker. Have you tried to convince a three year old to wear shoes, that's about the level we'd be talking about here. Plus you'd have to trim their nails because otherwise they would break and get all ragged, no, no thanks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You think his toes are upsetting you havent seen anything yet.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think Falin should be King, because she will sensibly do very little and her crazy rear end consort-slash-court mage will loving atomize anyone who causes any serious Kingdom-threatening trouble. And also they will kiss sometimes and it will be so cute and all the peasants will celebrate.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Kobolds have resistance to venom

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jalapeno sky raisins

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think you're all forgetting to ask the real question:

What subforum would Kabru be posting in and would he be a mod? :v:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

DnD obviously

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Nah Kabru is on tiktok

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I'm curious why Kuro and Mickbell have so many side comics. We're not even really supposed to like Mickbell. I think. I like Kuro.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Reminder that this is the anime thread let's go easy on the manga stuff

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

don Jaime posted:

I'm curious why Kuro and Mickbell have so many side comics. We're not even really supposed to like Mickbell. I think. I like Kuro.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

amigolupus posted:

Depends. How much does Kabru hate his day job and need to take it out on others?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

Depends. How much does Kabru hate his day job and need to take it out on others?

His day job is murder, and he loves it.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Kuro dogberries.

Laios, no, don't make us get the hose again.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

don Jaime posted:

Almost every significant character has a decent amount of side comics. The reason why many of them haven't been posted here is that they have spoilers for later stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think... we shouldn't be posting all of these just because they are technically not spoilers. It's bad form.

Basically, regardless of the original intentions, they are now being used as a loophole for manga readers to talk about the manga in the anime thread.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 23, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
and who knows they might get animated later too

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I feel like there are 3 ways to handle talking about bonus content:
1) Don't post anything side content wise (even if it doesn't have any spoilers) that wasn't out at the time the manga chapters covered in the latest episode were released; i.e. it would be fine to post stuff from the Miscellaneous Monster Tales segments of the first 5 volumes, Daydream Hour 2 (which came out with chapter 31; Daydream Hour 1 didn't have any Dungeon Meshi stuff), and some other minor things, but later Daydream Hours, later volume Miscellaneous Monster Tales segments, the Adventurer's Bible, and some other minor misc content (and in fact with the end point people are predicting the show will stop at will be before the release of any of the further Daydream Hours and the Guidebook)

2) Don't post any side book content at all.

3) consider Miscellaneous Monster Tales stuff not adapted to be :filez: (since those are in the back of the manga volumes), leave other stuff that fits what I listed as okay in #1 to be still fine

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 23, 2024

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Some of it is stuff the anime has already skipped over(sea serpent bonus comic) but on the other hand some of it is stuff from the future that has 90% chance of not being animated but that 10% might be reason enough not to post it.

Edit: ^ yeah what he said

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
One of the common complaints I saw about Dungeon Meshi early on from the reddit crowd was that the party was wasting too much time cooking and eating instead of getting back to rescue Falin as fast as possible. We can now see Shuro followed that mindset and it didn't work well at all. The guy is a total wreck and looks like he's in no condition to do anything. Like Laios said this episode, eating isn't something you do when you have time, its a prerequisite to doing what you want to do. All the time the party spent cooking and eating wasn't wasting time, it was making sure they'd be prepared when they got there, and they actually got there days earlier than Shuro did with all his attempted haste.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Reddit seems pretty dumb because the cooking/monster eating is pretty a pretty incidental thing where they’ve already made camp for the day and are just eating the supplies they have on hand. I think they were well ahead of schedule anyway, it’s just that the Red Dragon is a familiar or whatever and not doing its normal wild animal thing of coming out every month to hunt before hibernating.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Reddit seems pretty dumb because the cooking/monster eating is pretty a pretty incidental thing where they’ve already made camp for the day and are just eating the supplies they have on hand. I think they were well ahead of schedule anyway, it’s just that the Red Dragon is a familiar or whatever and not doing its normal wild animal thing of coming out every month to hunt before hibernating.

Yeah, that was explicitly addressed. In the first episode Laios mentions that after such a kill, Red Dragon goes dormant to conserve energy and it will take roughly a month to digest the food. And they got to him in a week. But the Red Dragon was still active, because his natural instincts were overridden by Mad Magician commands, so poor Falin was probably fully digested in a few days. The whole point is that they never would have made it, no matter how fast or slow they would be able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

DnD obviously

Marsupial Ape posted:

"You don't bother to contribute to the discussion at hand, and keep posting reaction tweets from chuds as if we want to see it. Posters who keep making GBS threads up the DnD subforum keeps growing, and good posters in this thread will leave if this continues. That's why...I have to permaban posters like you."