Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Oh hey his high pitched scream is in the original language too, neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Am I using the wrong subtitles or something because I only know the new guy (?) as the lunatic magician on the Netflix subtitles, I've never seen or heard mad mage or thistle

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
may have been in the credits?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Am I using the wrong subtitles or something because I only know the new guy (?) as the lunatic magician on the Netflix subtitles, I've never seen or heard mad mage or thistle

Mad Mage is referenced earlier on, Thistle is in the credits

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

It was this chapter that Ryoko kinda retconned orcs into a more pig man look and i am thankfull for that

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

There's 2 sets of English subtitles availible. The ones that match the English dub script says Mad Mage, and the ones that are supposed to be a stricter translation of the Japanese audio say Lunatic Magician.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Hihohe posted:

It was this chapter that Ryoko kinda retconned orcs into a more pig man look and i am thankfull for that

Orcs in japan have always been pig-like in appearance in Japan.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

worldbuild question: when chilichuck said "I hope she's not one of those dark elves" is the mad mage a dark elf in that sense? Idk if it's meant as a racial thing or an alignment one

they also refer to them as an elf to the orcs after their encounter, and not dark elf (despite mentioning the skin tone)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's got a lot of emotional intelligence for an orc. :3

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Synthbuttrange posted:

She's got a lot of emotional intelligence for an orc. :3

casual racism smdh

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Yeah Studio Trigger usually does single-cour series; the only ones longer (all of which being 2 cour) being Kill la Kill, Ninja Slayer (which had half-length episodes), Little Witch Academia, and Darling in the Franxx (which Trigger only produced 6 episodes of). Hell I feel like Dungeon Meshi has a pretty good chance of being the very first Trigger anime to have multiple seasons (given that we are not finishing the manga in 11 episodes)

Well, it depends if you count Dynazenon, doesn't it?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Zeruel posted:

Orcs in japan have always been pig-like in appearance in Japan.

In the manga the orcs actually looked less piglike the first time they showed up, but Ryoko Kui thought they looked too boring so she redesigned them when they showed back up in this chapter

(This is from Daydream Hour 2, one of the collections of her sketches she put out throughout the run of the manga. 2 is from this point in the manga so it doesn't have any spoilers in it)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Arc Hammer posted:

Chuder Empire.

Gonna repeat myself but I think the Twitter crowd really oversold these episodes being where the story takes a turn into the dark and twisted. It's creepy and ghoulish but still in line with whar has come before. It's not exactly a tonal sledgehammer like when Trigun shifted gears.

And I don't think it's a bad thing, either. It feels consistent with itself and it's striking a fine balance between its darkly comedic moments without diminishing the dramatic parts. It's fun.

Can you explain this part to me as someone who's never watched Trigun?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the orcs are kinda quick to murder but im sad senshi lost his dragon meat to the t-1000 magic and had none to trade to them

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean the relationship between adventuring parties and orcs seems to be "kill on sight". It's only Senshi that's an exception.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Orc

After Akira Toriyama's passing, I saw someone on Twitter say that since he made his orcs in dragon quest pig-like, more often than not most orcs in Japanese fiction are pig-like rather than "large muscular goblin" because that's how influential Toriyama and DQ were. Not sure how accurate that is but seems plausible and cool

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Centzon Totochtin posted:

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Orc

After Akira Toriyama's passing, I saw someone on Twitter say that since he made his orcs in dragon quest pig-like, more often than not most orcs in Japanese fiction are pig-like rather than "large muscular goblin" because that's how influential Toriyama and DQ were. Not sure how accurate that is but seems plausible and cool

Earlier editions of DnD had pig-faced orcs, including the first edition ever translated into Japanese. Get a load of them:

Apparently a lot of effort was put into localizing that edition in a way no subsequent edition had been in the following years. That may have also influenced Toriyama though but both may have influenced Ryoko Kui independently

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, early dnd orcs were more pig and boar like. I believe Wizardy orcs were also more animalistic, and Wizardy is also often pointed to being the reason why kobolds tend towards the more dog types in japanese media than the dragon/lizard types.

So like the imagery has always been there in the ether, but Toriyama's designs are what really like, locked that style in people's minds.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I can't believe it... I fell for misinformation on social media... Time to apply for my boomer card

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gruckles posted:

There's 2 sets of English subtitles availible. The ones that match the English dub script says Mad Mage, and the ones that are supposed to be a stricter translation of the Japanese audio say Lunatic Magician.

As someone who likes alliteration Mad Mage is a better name.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

There's a point in Trigun where the main antagonists appear and the episodes shift in tone from action adventure to action drama. There's still funny moments throughout but a few characters in particular who switch the tone over to outright horror when they appear, particularly a man named Legato.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 29, 2024

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Trigun is a pretty goofball series, and then Legato Bluesummers shows up.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Id say this series doesnt really change its tone and get "darker" its stakes just get upped as weve seen and i think twitter people are getting that mixed up.

Its like thinking dbz got darker when they went from the frieza saga to the Cell saga

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I get your point and you’re not wrong, but Cell sucking a man dry into nothingness as he begs for help as his intro after sucking off an entire town, including children, is probably one of the darkest moments in shonen imho

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Last Celebration posted:

I get your point and you’re not wrong, but Cell sucking a man dry into nothingness as he begs for help as his intro after sucking off an entire town, including children, is probably one of the darkest moments in shonen imho

Except that's just it, a moment. Dark, creepy, absolutely. Not indicative of the tone the remainder of the Cell arc takes, but it does establish stakes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arc Hammer posted:

As someone who likes alliteration Mad Mage is a better name.

There's a point in Trigun where the main antagonists appear and the episodes shift in tone from action adventure to action drama. There's still funny moments throughout but a few characters in particular who switch the tone over to outright horror when they appear, particularly a man named Legato.

More specifically, trigun is a largely comedic series with a lead that acts like a cartoon character with a lot of episodes that revolve around straight up gags, and then halfway through the series the main antagonists show up and brutally massacre a whole village

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'd say this episode was a tonal shift, but not a huge or jarring one. It's not even that it got a whole lot darker, just a bit more mysterious.

Like the first half was pretty straightforward, Falin got eaten by a dragon and now we gotta cut her out of its gullet poste haste. Yeah there was weird fantasy poo poo, but none of it was totally foreign or inexplicable to the characters in-universe.

Now things have gotten a touch more foreboding, we have an intelligent adversary, there's vague portentous dialogue alluding to... stuff. And something happened to Falin that we don't know precisely what, but is implied to be kinda hosed up in a way that's different from just being eaten by something.

Like I said, it's not a huge Red Wedding style tonal shift, stuff is still mostly goofy fantasy adventure. But now we've hit a point where there's bigger things going on that nobody, not even our seasoned adventurer main characters, totally grasps.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Ill be honest, i dont know what a cour is and i thought they meant to say course because they were making a food joke

Here's some anime viewing vocab 101 for the youngins who aren't aware of these terms

Series: Refers to the American sense of the entire story. Most anime are only one season so they're often synonymous.

Season: Synonymous with the UK use of "Series." A complete production unit that is at least one Cour/calendar season and may be more. Shows like One Piece, Dragon Ball Super and Detective Conan do not have these and are largely separated by arcs or calendar year. They are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Cour: Japanese broadcasting term based on the French word. Calendar season production unit. Most anime are 1 cour. Some, like this one, are 2 cour. Sentai and Kamen Rider are 4 cour technically. 3 is very rare, but happens. 1 cour is 12-13 episodes. The variation is largely based on individual series and preference of the creators.

Split cour: Uncommon. Refers to series whose cours are not aired continuously. Reasons for this vary.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
:colbert: I'm not a youngin', I just haven't watched anime since before Americans started using 'cours' (thanks!)

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The tonal shift is that there are now stakes instead of steaks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

YggiDee posted:

:colbert: I'm not a youngin', I just haven't watched anime since before Americans started using 'cours' (thanks!)

And Americans only used cour because the Japanese used it because weebs.

https://twitter.com/gaurichan/status/1773481982791401962

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Marcille just wants a burger

Marsupial Ape posted:

The tonal shift is that there are now stakes instead of steaks.

They went from a surplus of dragon meat to no meat. Things are getting serious

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Senshis runnin out of spices.
Things are gettin bleak

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
they managed to get away from the Lunatic Magician relatively unharmed, but entirely unhammed. this affront cannot be forgiven.

oh also Falyn's been turned into some kind of abomination i guess. that's bad too

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Arguably no tonal shift because the Senshi eating a beholder is the same Senshi witnessing a massacre

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I've been having Senshi moments in the kitchen lately. I had some milk that was starting to clot and instead of throwing it out, I poured it into a bowl, added some acids and collected all the nice curd and pressed it. I added a bit of salt. It was very fresh and sweet cheese!

It tasted amazing spread on toasted bread with jam or mixed into some cold beans for a nice salad.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I've been having Senshi moments in the kitchen lately. I had some milk that was starting to clot and instead of throwing it out, I poured it into a bowl, added some acids and collected all the nice curd and pressed it. I added a bit of salt. It was very fresh and sweet cheese!

It tasted amazing spread on toasted bread with jam or mixed into some cold beans for a nice salad.

You seem like a very nice person, but your posting history has me convinced you are going to die from misadventure induced diarrhea.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Marsupial Ape posted:

You seem like a very nice person, but your posting history has me convinced you are going to die from misadventure induced diarrhea.

You're right. You're saying I should use the pan seared liver flukes as wrappers for the fresh cheese, like cannoli!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Step aside babbies with your "Spicey" food. Real refined and expiremental palettes are coming through.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i thought watching falin's skin bubble towards the end there was a bit more graphic than even stuff like the undine, and the sudden rug pull of falin not being saved but instead enslaved to the mad mage with an unknown level of autonomy and sanity (or if she will even continue to exist after the mad mage is done reforming her flesh) is pretty dark

the story has gone from fairly straightforward with some brutal but still relatively clean moments (the undine headshot was over in like half a second and the brutality of it mostly came from how sudden it was) to having quite a bit more gore by screentime with an uncertain future (there's not as clear a solution to their core problem now than when it was "find the dragon and stab it hard"). also like, chilchuck just had to talk laois into abandoning his sister after they jsut saved her. i can see why people would call this a bit of a tone shift.

i'm very here for it, for the record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henker
May 5, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

worldbuild question: when chilichuck said "I hope she's not one of those dark elves" is the mad mage a dark elf in that sense? Idk if it's meant as a racial thing or an alignment one

they also refer to them as an elf to the orcs after their encounter, and not dark elf (despite mentioning the skin tone)

Minor spoilers from some supplemental material (this never comes up in the main story):

Dark Elves are an alignment thing, not a racial/skin tone thing. Dark Elves also aren't even real - it's literally a myth made up by the short-lived races. The basic gist is - the elves first encountered by short-lived races were nice and actively gave the shorties knowledge and technology. Later elves encountered were less nice. The short-lived races decided this was due to some corruptive force, rather than individuals/groups within a race having different goals or belief systems.