Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also the fact that it's easier on a technical level to put multiple audio tracks over a single video track rather than having a different video track for every single audio language

And animators in the industry have it bad enough, don't make them do the extra work of making a different version of the episode for the like 10 languages it's being dubbed in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Other than that the DBZA guys also talked about what a massive pain in the rear end it was redoing the lip flaps on static images, God forbid they tried it with a movie image.

Even the original animators have a hard time matching to spoken words which is why they also rarely go for a perfect 1:1 match with the animation. It's a lot of effort and not a lot of time to do it.

So I'm happy enough with ProzD getting more freedom with how he plays Senshi by not having to worry about matching the mouth wiggling every time he talks.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 6, 2024

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also the fact that it's easier on a technical level to put multiple audio tracks over a single video track rather than having a different video track for every single audio language

And animators in the industry have it bad enough, don't make them do the extra work of making a different version of the episode for the like 10 languages it's being dubbed in

My point was more we should lower our standards and accept poor flap matching. Its the only way we are going to get good performances out of VAs that arent stilted and wierd because they are matching the mouth motions of a language that has a different structure from english and will be pausing for emphasis and shouting for effect and different points in a sentence.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i think the audience that dubbed anime is trying to reach is way more sensitive to mismatched mouths than stilted dialogue

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/george_10g/status/1743627985930870931?t=Av_IUjtlPCaJ7mJWIT98gQ&s=19

Delicious in (non)decaf

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

If netflix isnt willing to pay to reanimate the flaps then the director should tell the actors to just act as they wish and not worry about the drat flaps so much. Its the single reason left why dubs are bad compared to subs. Every other problem has been worked through but this persists, and its an expensive problem to fix. We the audience should just go back to enjoying dubs that have 60's godzilla mouth flaps!

I can't say this for sure (it's not like I work in the industry after all), but I'd have said the main issue with more recent (English) dubs of anime is simply the lack of time. The tendency more recently seems to be for simuldubs for lots of shows, or at least as close to broadcast as possible, which leaves less time for casting, writing, etc. You end up with a lot of stock phrases sneaking in (literally lost count of the number of times I've heard the phrase 'It can't be helped'), which can sound very stilted and, I assume, would be caught if there was more time to polish the script. Plus the other occasional issues that result from this, e.g. roles being recast between series due to scheduling conflicts, which presumably could be avoided with more lenient schedules.

There's loads of other things I could point to (e.g. most English dubs seem to be produced by the same few studios using actors living in the same locations, which leads to homogeneity in accents and casting), but primarily I would have thought that more time/fewer projects = better scripts = better dubs. All this of course isn't to knock the people working on these things, who I'm sure are doing their best within the timescales/resource provided.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder if there's any industry interest in using deepfake to animate the mouth flaps, that way they could automatically match the mouth flaps in every language with minimal polishing and tinkering from a human animator. The tech is moderately okay with real life video and I guess it'd be much more seamless over animated footage, especially if the original mouth flaps were also done via deepfake to start with.

I guess if they tried it right now it would require way more effort and cost than the current solution which is "We don't care about secondary markets that much so just get the VAs to fudge it as best they can and that'll be good enough, it's not even our problem"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am begging you people to please understand how having multiple audio tracks on a television show works on a technical level.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

i think the audience that dubbed anime is trying to reach is way more sensitive to mismatched mouths than stilted dialogue

The only time I watch dubbed anime is if I'm doing something else at the same time and not looking at the flaps so I'm surprised to read this and I find myself unsure which audience you mean?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Only care about lip flaps if they zoom in on a characters mouth to show them enunciating each word for dramatic effect.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
why is everyone talking about the hit 2016 anime lip flappers in the dungeon meshi thread ???

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Snooze Cruise posted:

why is everyone talking about the hit 2016 anime lip flappers in the dungeon meshi thread ???

because flip flappers was GOOD :colbert:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

gently caress I'm old.

Also, Dungeon meshi good. Love the animation and voice acting.

The in media res start was kinda jarring, but the party dynamics were simple enough that I didn't feel like I needed any elaborate character introduction or backstory to get what these doofuses were all about.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I thought the first episode was fine. Songs were nothing special, and the animation was serviceable. There were some funny parts, and Marcille was probably the best part of the episode. But I'd thought I'd be much better given how people talk it up and it being Trigger.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is this the first adaptation of an existing series Trigger has done? Edgerunners is still an original story set in Cyberpunk but haven't the other Trigger shows I've seen have all been anime originals.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Their second anime When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace was an LN adaptation and it was completely forgettable outside of a single scene.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Is this the first adaptation of an existing series Trigger has done? Edgerunners is still an original story set in Cyberpunk but haven't the other Trigger shows I've seen have all been anime originals.

Gridman

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think Gridman fits the Edgerunners thing of being based on a thing but being an original story rather than a direct adaptation

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'll eat crow then

lordfrikk posted:

I thought the first episode was fine. Songs were nothing special, and the animation was serviceable. There were some funny parts, and Marcille was probably the best part of the episode. But I'd thought I'd be much better given how people talk it up and it being Trigger.

let them cook, it was just ep one

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

symbolic posted:

i'll eat crow then

let them cook, it was just ep one

we might have to let it simmer a bit, but it's a spicy enough start for me.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

lordfrikk posted:

Dungeon Meshi is one of those series that starts All Right and then as more ideas and concepts keep getting introduced into it, instead of feeling like it's spreading itself thin it gives it a ton of depth and interest to be had. It's not a slow burn - I think the series' real general tone starts up pretty soon after it starts - but it's definitely something that gets way better in time.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

great start, really appreciate the pace as i always read manga too fast

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah I'm super excited for the series as a whole but waiting to recommend it to some friends until there are a few more in the hopper to binge. Reactions to the first are fine but I wasn't expecting this to blow the doors off right at the gate and that's fine imo!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Im so happy at how it's been adapted so far, and yeah it will take a few eps to really show you what it's like

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven’t read the manga but this series seems pretty cool so far, I thought it was gonna be a gag series where the protagonists eat gradually more hosed up things instead of being half that and half exploring the ecology of fictional fantasy/DND monsters like they’re real animals, so knowing it gets significantly better is rad.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I am digging this show so far. Light hearted fantasy cooking shows always get an A+ from me.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Newest episode was nice. Marcille is a perfect angel and if the book says to sacrifice a dog then she's right to do so but doesn't because she's flawless..
I also now really want some deep fried food...

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Are the illustrations in the ED Ryoko Kui originals for the anime, or are they from one of the manga extras? they're great! wouldn't mind one framed on my wall (which conceals an olive oil trap)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
marcille

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

SexyBlindfold posted:

Are the illustrations in the ED Ryoko Kui originals for the anime, or are they from one of the manga extras? they're great! wouldn't mind one framed on my wall (which conceals an olive oil trap)

It looks like new art, which was a such a nice surprise to see

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Don't put your finger into cooking oil, that's gross.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the ED, the artwork looks like postcards.

I'm wondering if Marcille or Chilchuck will have the larger nervous breakdown (It'll be Marcille).

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

glad that everyone's neuroses were on full display this episode

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

"Unfortunately that's not all, folks!"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Imagine being that other elf. Your friend gets blindsided by a poisonous horror, then has to lie around on death's door watching some other adventurers while they cook food with the antidote instead of just loving giving it to him, insisting it "tastes better" that way. Then their mage absent-mindedly brandishes a drumstick at your guy before mumbling a healing spell with her mouth full. Afterwards, they treat the two of you to an incredible meal and lecture you about your health. This is one of the most confusing social experiences you've ever had. Your friend has decided that he idolizes these loving lunatics and now you have to get up at sunrise to go for a morning jog every godforsaken day

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the ED art is so good... its so warm 🥹🙏

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Angry Diplomat posted:

Imagine being that other elf. Your friend gets blindsided by a poisonous horror, then has to lie around on death's door watching some other adventurers while they cook food with the antidote instead of just loving giving it to him, insisting it "tastes better" that way. Then their mage absent-mindedly brandishes a drumstick at your guy before mumbling a healing spell with her mouth full. Afterwards, they treat the two of you to an incredible meal and lecture you about your health. This is one of the most confusing social experiences you've ever had. Your friend has decided that he idolizes these loving lunatics and now you have to get up at sunrise to go for a morning jog every godforsaken day

On the brighter side you've never been stronger and you made it to level 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Biggest complaint so far is that Netflix doesn't have the technology to subtitle the diagrams.