Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

You know, for all his talk about "better her soul be put to rest than live on as this monster," Shuro sure didn't do a lot in that fight. I saw what he did to that Sea Serpent, bisecting her with one blow seems like it's within his abilities. But nope, he's just standing there, even as his entire retinue is pulped one by one in front of him. He even instructs the Oni girl to try and take her down nonlethally... somehow. Even Laios was getting Kensuke out in preparation for putting her down until she actually spoke to him, and even then he got in one good distraction-stab in. Laios apologised for hesitating when he tried to save Kabru! Shuro? Just hanging around ogling them bird tiddies with Marcille. The coldly rational thought of "well this thing's got to die," really only comes up when she's well out of katana-range and it's just a matter of impersonally telling the proper authorities like a dutiful noble adhering to comfortable protocol, and frankly it's a question of if he can even bring himself to do THAT.

Dude talks a big stoic samurai game, but in the final assessment he's a big softie who can't talk to people who has a... complicated relationship with his hopefully future brother-in-law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Ya gotta eat your three square meals a day, no matter how deep in the dungeon you are.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/muyhiram/status/1785394084359627139

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I told you guys that dungeons are full of feral mules because they know how not to get party wiped. Wild equid was a stable of early man’s diet. It’s actually unnatural for a man to leave rear end out of his diet.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

There's been a few discussions here and there about Laios being on the spectrum, and I'd like to take a quick opportunity to recommend one of Ryoko Kui's one-shots, Wolves Tell No Lies, which also touches on the same subject of being neurodivergent and how messy it can get at times.

actually just read all of her stuff, its all pretty good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, I doubt anyone here is skeptical about the Laois is autistic reading, but if they were Wolves Tell No Lies is like the thing you would point to be like nah its totally what she is going for lol.

Also yes everyone should read everything she did or I will beat you up.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Answering/asking the important questions here.

Would Falin eat rear end?
Would Shuro eat rear end?
Whose rear end would Kabru eat?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

DrSunshine posted:

Answering/asking the important questions here.

Would Falin eat rear end?
Would Shuro eat rear end?
Whose rear end would Kabru eat?

Yes, and she'd be excited to try it

Absolutely not, unless Falin directly asked him to, in which case maybe

Laios' That's unfair, that guy's village was wiped out by asses, he's got traumas, you can't ask that of him

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Whirling posted:

There's been a few discussions here and there about Laios being on the spectrum, and I'd like to take a quick opportunity to recommend one of Ryoko Kui's one-shots, Wolves Tell No Lies, which also touches on the same subject of being neurodivergent and how messy it can get at times.

actually just read all of her stuff, its all pretty good
This is part of an anthology that's been licensed, so if you enjoyed reading it you should buy it! :hai:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Can Of Worms posted:

This is part of an anthology that's been licensed, so if you enjoyed reading it you should buy it! :hai:

Now they should license her other ones!!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I'm too lazy to find it or where it's from but there is another Ryoko Kui short comic that shows a guy trying to have a normal conversation and represents doing everything right like keeping eye contact and not talking too much with like fighting game combos.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I'm too lazy to find it or where it's from but there is another Ryoko Kui short comic that shows a guy trying to have a normal conversation and represents doing everything right like keeping eye contact and not talking too much with like fighting game combos.

It's a rhythm game actually, when he screws up something the whole thing piles up and he ends up missing every beat

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
That's one of the ones that hasn't been licensed yet (:negative:), Terrarium in Drawer. The chapter is this one.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 2, 2024

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Terrarium in a Drawer also has Distant Utopia, which is a fantastic bit of worldbuilding for a story that's 8 pages long. I really recommend reading it if you love how she's built out Dungeon Meshi's world.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 2, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its legit one of my top 10 short comics :3

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Distant Utopia is one of my favorite comics of all time, it's really incredible

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

You know, for all his talk about "better her soul be put to rest than live on as this monster," Shuro sure didn't do a lot in that fight. I saw what he did to that Sea Serpent, bisecting her with one blow seems like it's within his abilities. But nope, he's just standing there, even as his entire retinue is pulped one by one in front of him. He even instructs the Oni girl to try and take her down nonlethally... somehow. Even Laios was getting Kensuke out in preparation for putting her down until she actually spoke to him, and even then he got in one good distraction-stab in. Laios apologised for hesitating when he tried to save Kabru! Shuro? Just hanging around ogling them bird tiddies with Marcille. The coldly rational thought of "well this thing's got to die," really only comes up when she's well out of katana-range and it's just a matter of impersonally telling the proper authorities like a dutiful noble adhering to comfortable protocol, and frankly it's a question of if he can even bring himself to do THAT.

Dude talks a big stoic samurai game, but in the final assessment he's a big softie who can't talk to people who has a... complicated relationship with his hopefully future brother-in-law.

I mean, would you be able to be rational and fight and/or kill the one you love just like that? When you're still shell-shocked to find out she's been turned into a monstrous chimera? Especially if you can see her still-human face and torso and watch them writhe in pain or stare at you while you cut them down? And this entire thing is coming after the one-two punch combo of a stressful two-week dungeon dive where Shuro ignored eating and sleeping just to get to the lower levels ASAP, only to get there and find out that they used black magic and monster flesh to revive Falin. I'm frankly surprised he was even able to function at that point and give Tade an instruction.

Another thing that makes Shuro impossible to blame in that situation is that Marcille was just as stunned as he was. She's in a better frame of mind thanks to eating and resting during the journey, and she also knew more about how Falin got resurrected and taken away, and even she can't bring herself to just fight. Laios mentioned that her role in their old party composition when fighting dragons was to weaken it with her powerful explosion magic, but even she can't bring herself to do that to someone she cares about. The only reason Laios was even able to get in the fight was because of Kabru reminding them that what they're facing is a monster, which allowed Laios's monster-pilled brain to mentally categorize Falin as a monster, right up until she spoke and seemingly still recognized him.

And I'm not sure if I'd say it was coldly rational to decide after chasing off monster Falin that she needed to die, either. The first thing Shuro says is that he can't kill monster Falin, which I doubt is due to a matter of strength. We know from the fight that she's not invincible. The ninjas are a highly-trained group who was kicking all sorts of rear end in the dungeon, so they could probably kill chimera Falin now that they're not being ambushed by it and know exactly what they're up against. So I think Shuro's decision was an emotional one, in that he still can't bring himself to kill the woman he loves. Even his idea to ask the elves of the west for help was more to put Falin's soul to rest, which is still borne out of the desire of saving her soul from wandering around in eternal torment in the dungeon.

Shuro's got issues expressing himself, but everything we've seen so far shows he's a guy who's driven by his emotions, which I think is Ryoko Kui playing around with the stoic, silent samurai archetype. It's really good writing!

The real weirdo in that situation was Senshi for just standing there and not reacting at all. He's not attached to Falin enough to hesitate fighting her, and he's individualistic enough to not need orders from his party leader to get in the action, either. Dude was prioritizing the safety of meal in his hands while everyone else was getting slaughtered. :ssh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He was just making sure everyone gets a square meal after. He correctly assesed that the fight didnt really need another corpse to join the pile. :v

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In absolute fairness did he ever get a replacement axe for the one he broke on the Red Dragon? Because otherwise he's still limited to the mithril knife and Senshi is many things but an agile ninja is not one of them

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Pureauthor posted:

In absolute fairness did he ever get a replacement axe for the one he broke on the Red Dragon? Because otherwise he's still limited to the mithril knife and Senshi is many things but an agile ninja is not one of them

He said he borrowed an axe from the orcs when he split the dryad pumpkins open. Even if he left it in his pack, there's nothing stopping him from running off to arm himself. Compare that to Chilchuck, who reacted to the dangerous situation appropriately by dragging Mickbell along to safety by going to their packs and finding the adamantine pot to hide themselves in.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That reminds me, I was wondering if Mickbell was even a fighter or was a pacifist like Chilchuk.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kobold summoner. limit one kobold

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Chilchuck ain't a pacifist. He's a union man who has a contract to pick locks and disarm traps and he's not lifting one finger more after that unless you're ponying up even more cash.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Or you do something egregiously stupid, in which case he'll cuss you out like there's no tomorrow, sometimes even in a different language!

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

That reminds me, I was wondering if Mickbell was even a fighter or was a pacifist like Chilchuk.

It's not a matter of them being pacifists so much as it is they're very smol guys and not so good at this "fighting" thing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hiveminded posted:

It's not a matter of them being pacifists so much as it is they're very smol guys and not so good at this "fighting" thing

Yeah it's worth remembering that part of the reason why they deal with traps well is because they are so lightweight that they don't set off a lot of them. That isn't going to be good for fighting. iirc the times we have seen them fight shows them primarily using ranged weapons where the power comes from the bow, not from their own mass.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah it's worth remembering that part of the reason why they deal with traps well is because they are so lightweight that they don't set off a lot of them. That isn't going to be good for fighting. iirc the times we have seen them fight shows them primarily using ranged weapons where the power comes from the bow, not from their own mass.

Even with bows, the draw strength of a tallman and a child-sized half-foot is still notable in terms of range and penetration. A good shot in the eye will certainly have an effect, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Combatwise, Half-Foots are only good at throwing knives at monster eyes, we've seen this. :colbert:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Suleman posted:

Even with bows, the draw strength of a tallman and a child-sized half-foot is still notable in terms of range and penetration. A good shot in the eye will certainly have an effect, though.

That's true, but at the same time it would be easier for them to practice their draw strength than it would be to gain enough muscle mass to go toe to toe with something bigger. I would imagine hit and run would be the name of the game. Although I'm not sure if winch-drawn crossbows are a large part of this world, since that would be perfect for them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DrSunshine posted:

Combatwise, Half-Foots are only good at throwing knives at monster eyes, we've seen this. :colbert:

Do not downplay this

Really he should be shamed for not carrying more projectiles

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Half foots should make up for their range deficiency by using longer weapons like spears. But because a long spear is unwieldy, the half foots should use spears in 3-man teams and aim them like battering rams.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's true, but at the same time it would be easier for them to practice their draw strength than it would be to gain enough muscle mass to go toe to toe with something bigger. I would imagine hit and run would be the name of the game. Although I'm not sure if winch-drawn crossbows are a large part of this world, since that would be perfect for them.

Diminutive fantasy races could make excellent peltasts. Spear-thrower propelled javelins and shepards’ slings would be the name of the game.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kwyndig posted:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Chilchuck needs a gun.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Smallbell

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

DrSunshine posted:

Chilchuck needs a gun.

It's spelled gonne.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
There are crossbows on this world, but they seem to be rare. Namari the weapons expert uses one on a tentacle but it’s her first time and she’s unfamiliar with it. Spearchucker/atlatls and slings should be a thing, but modern authors aren’t really aware of them.

Edit: by the same token, Mr Tansu wears glasses and Falin clearly needs them but they seem to be a rare or expensive item she can’t get.

don Jaime fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 2, 2024

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I went to work a couple of minutes late to catch the latest episode.

Basically all i can say is

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I told you a-holes dogs are super useful in dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/nisino2222/status/1785799546553180402?t=ZXdye2vxIqInWjoJY7i_Tw&s=19

Absolutely cursed