Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Watched the first episode with my wife, who isn't too big on anime.

She found it enjoyable, although I think me actively gushing about the episode made it more entertaining for her.

Glad to see Emily Rudd back and SungWon is always a pleasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Zeruel posted:

this is going to be a good "anime series for people who dislike common anime tropes". i recommended this to my friends, when marcille got grabbed by the plant, and i immediately got worried. but fortuntately it didn't go into fan-service territory, and for that, trigger, i salute you.

Yea I read the series and knew what was coming, but when I saw that scene I was worried they decided to add their own bit of fan service. I was happy to see I was wrong.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, Marcille's book was actually correct, since her method provides a mandrake that's chemically-distinct from ones you harvest the "easy" way, which is probably important for the things wizards want mandrakes for.

I'm not really sure why "earplugs" or "a really long rope" wouldn't be a better solution than the dog thing, though.

You can train a dog faster than you can train a wizard, so I'm assuming they take no chances.

Also knowing wizards "a dog killed by a screaming mandrake" is probably magically useful to them as well, so they get twice the components.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I have been eagerly waiting for this episode.

Early on when folks were talking about Marcille being the useless goof, I just had to bite my tongue knowing that ancient magic blood covered sapho mage was coming.

Kind of how GOT book readers weren't watching the Red Wedding in the show, they were watching the faces of their friends who hadn't read the books.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Laios is 100% not the kind of person to sit around waxing perverse about elf ears, is what I'm saying.

He would talk about them, of course, but it would be a 10-minute infodump full of random trivia, and unequivocally the least sexy thing that anyone present had ever heard in their lives

"Did you know that elves are able to withstand higher temperatures than other races? It's true! The secret lies within their ears. Elves have more blood vessels within their ears and the larger surface area allows for better heat radiation in hotter climates! In fact, elven clothing reflects this because in colder climates ear coverings are usually made with wool or other materials with high insulation to slow down heat loss and furthermore-" *Laois begins gesticulating rapidly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

the thing that gives me some pause about murdering the corpse retrievers is that yes, they essentially played the part of bandits to kabru's party there, but also they do do the job they're supposed to. and it's a very important job. kabru wouldn't be alive to kill them if they hadn't revived him after the treasure bugs thing.

they extort their clientele and when someone doesn't quite die in the dungeon they give them a push to get their paycheck. these are pretty bad things and i have no tears shed for them, but it is a little different from being a murderer with the full weight that carries to us, people who live in a context where resurrection is not a real and commonplace phenomena.

they're the equivalent of, idk, ambulance drivers who make you pay up front before they let you in and occasionally secretly get someone's leg broken when business is down. extrajudicial murder from the guy whose leg they just tried to break may be justified, i guess, but it's at least unsettling to watch.

Kabru and his party are not dead the first time the corpse retrievers find them, just paralyzed. The corpse retrievers then lied and said they did revive them (I am assuming they mean back from the dead meaning of revive) and then intentionally withheld the info that they were paralyzed by treasure bugs.

I am going to make another assumption that whoever was the last man/woman/dog standing in the illusionary fishman fight was going to be killed by the corpse retrievers. The other party was standing right next to them and they'd need to cover their tracks that they instigated the fight.

I would say the dungeon's quirk of allowing resurrection is the only reason this group of corpse retrievers doesn't outright murder people and take their stuff because it's more profitable running this racket. If Kabru let them live his party would be in danger of permadeath because I don't think that group would let their secret get to the surface. Theyd try to arrange another "accident" to keep their racket going.

But yea Kabru's quick murder and then summary execution was unsettling as hell.