Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Do not eat mandrake root in real life, you will experience vomiting, hallucinations and tachycardia leading to death

Also probably shouldn't eat bats, that's how covid started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Between INT, WIS and CHA, Laios has one stat exceedingly high and one as a complete dump stat. I just can't tell which ones specifically.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Diephoon posted:

So do we just not give a gently caress about all the people that died in the tavern or what

Eh, anyone hanging out this deep knows the risks they're taking. Besides, Phoenix downs are a thing, they'll be fine as long as anyone gives enough of a poo poo to come down and fetch the bodies

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

VideoWitch posted:

I love the weird Smeagol Halffoot. Why does he hate vegetables so much?

His family was killed by those man-eating plants on the last floor

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Popo posted:

"Res spell this! Criminal that!" They got what they had coming for being rude to Marcille. She was so proud of the veg!

Unrelated to that but I notice again they're turning down Marcille's offers to solve thing with magic and while I get Senshi's logic you can see the poor baby really wanting to contribute outside of fights.

I find it a little bullshit that Senshi dismisses lighting a fire with magic as "the easy way" as opposed to a flint and steel. Fucker, you have no frame of reference for how hard or easy it is to do that with magic. It's not like Marcille busts out a Zippo lighter, it's a goddamn magic spell, people have to study to be able to acquire that skill, a skill you do not have and that seems pretty drat specialized. If it's so easy, how come everyone doesn't do it that way?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Popo posted:

Senshi was the mother figure trying to keep Thanks Giving rolling while Boomer Uncle and one of the older kids get into it over politics. (You can decide who in the scene is the boomer Uncle)

Marcille was totally the Boomer Uncle in that whole exchange, although with the extenuating circumstances of having just seen like a dozen people murdered

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

mdct posted:

There's kind of a deliberate level of violence being very frank and the damage caused by it being relatively realistic with regard to how it's inspired by game mechanics, I feel. Wanting to emphasize that while those inspirations are there, they're not actually gamified in any way, if you know what I mean.

It's not all violence, there seems to be a divide between violence against the monsters (which is a bit more stylish-fantasy-action and occasionally slapstick) vs violence against people (where a guy just gets chopped in the neck with a sword mid-sentence and is just unglamorously dead on the floor)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

the visual of a crown actually being a bug you can squish with a spoon twists my brain in just the right way

Very strong Is It Cake? energy

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

IIRC Japan's conception of a lot of popular Western fantasy creatures comes from one very specific edition of D&D, where Kobolds are dogs and Orcs look like pigs.

Probably Mentzer Basic (the classic "Red Box" D&D) which was pretty much the "default" edition from its Japanese release in 1985 to the switching over to AD&D 2nd Edition in 1991. This is what they were playing in the Record of Lodoss War replays, which are basically Japanese Lord Of The Rings in terms of being the foundational text of "western" style fantasy genre fiction tropes.

mdct posted:

The Japanese release of AD&D was super high-effort, with a pretty good translation and hiring local artists to do all new art for it. That every edition after it not only didn't do that, but were relatively low-effort translations on top of that, is a big reason why no edition beyond AD&D did well in the country.

Apparently the release of AD&D 2E was kind of a bomb over there, because the established player base didn't like switching over from Basic and the new player market was being eaten up by the domestically produced Sword World RPG. The Japanese AD&D publisher went bankrupt in 1994 and Japan wouldn't see more AD&D until 3rd edition got released ther in late 2002.

What they DID get in the meantime was a really really nice Rules Cyclopedia release in 1997, edited into three books and with a bunch of new art and stuff. Pretty sure these arethe books mdct is referring to. They look great, even if there's the unshakeable hint that they're kinda ripping off Record of Lodoss War with the artstyle, which is ironic when you think about it.

https://mystara.thorfmaps.com/appendix-j/rules-cyclopedia/

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I feel like Laios might have subtly crossed a line eating the eggs of a sapient tool-using species. That was a little hosed up, dude just ate a baby.

Ah well, he got his comeuppance in the form of the parasite he got from eating that other, larger parasite

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

I liked the beard cleaning montage. It reminds me of the few times I've washed my beard.

I thought that was a dream sequence at first, like Marcille was imagining doing all that beard maintenance and it was going to cut to him using the soap to wash his dishes and she'd look all crestfallen, but no, that all actually happened and it was just portrayed in a slightly stylized montage

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It is a neat bit of worldbuilding conceit that "dungeons" are basically a naturally occuring phenomenon, just any suitable enclosed subterranean space creates a microclimate that accumulates monsters and mana and such. You can even do school science experiments where you make a mini-dungeon that is essentially a combination sea monkey bowl and potato battery

And someone, the "Mad Mage" or whoever, made one of those the size of THIS Dungeon, a preposterously enormous magical bioreactor with multiple smaller sub-biomes, with the little microscopic spirits in the dungeonarium scaled up to full-size Dragons and Krakens and poo poo.

Also, we're continuing the theme that while violence against monsters is suitably cool anime fantasy action, violence against humans is shockingly brief and unglamorously brutal, that undine thing is a goddamn hunter-seeker drone with a water cutter jet attached.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Falin is that kid who would get really excited to show you the cool bug they found, even well into high school

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dolash posted:

Bread is the most dwarven of foods, forged in flame with the finest of craftsdwarfship.

Also a decent bludgeoning weapon in a pinch

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

FROG SUITS FROG SUITS

Chilchuck just stuffed into a potato sack with a face hole cut in it lmao

I'm slightly saddened that they managed to get them off and they won't actually be fighting the dragon in their frog suits, but I can respect that this is probably gonna be one of those "pivotal dramatic moments" in the plot that demands at least a little seriousness

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Exactly. The original writer does a fantastic job of subtle show don’t tell story telling.

Now that I think about it, The Revenant was basically a parable about not loving with a man’s respawn point.

Edit: also, ie dogs in the dungeon, why aren't there more stories with adventurer's using dogs? A couple big, well trained mastiffs or hounds would be incredibly useful in a dungeon delve. Hell, why couldn't you train a trap or ambush monster sniffing dog? Chilchuck could be mostly replaced with a terrier of some sort.

You could maybe conceivably train a dog to sniff out a trap, but good luck finding a dog that can disarm one. Or pick a lock, for that matter

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Which one posts funny gifs of the anime?

That sounds pretty Gallant to me

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Okay, I'm gonna go episode by episode and see where a decently trained Mastiff would have been actually helpful for that episode's main enemy or dilemma.

-Slime: Probably helpful, ambush predators probably don't do well against something with that good of hearing and smell, dog would bark at the thing hiding on the ceiling
-Carnivorous Plants: Probably helpful assuming it didn't get snagged itself
-Basilisk: Helpful, dogs love nipping at the heels of stuff and it was weak to being attacked from multiple angles at once
-Mandrake: Helpful once, then you need to get a new dog
-Room full of flamethrower and pressure-plate spike traps: Would die almost immediately, not even finding most of the traps in the process
-Living Armor: Probably not actually that helpful, not like it can bite through armor, and that many enemies at once would probably just overwhelm it
-Golems: Probably not helpful, would just roll around in it a bunch
-Orcs: Depends, as long as it's trained well enough to NOT attack things, it probably wouldn't cause a diplomatic breakdown that gets you all killed when it mauls someone
-Treasure bugs: About as useful as anyone else who wasn't Marcille, so basically useless
-Ghosts: Can do absolutely nothing
-Living Paintings: Can't verbally report back what it sees inside one or pull on the rope to communicate an emergency, so slightly worse even than Laios
-Mimic: Actually quite helpful, like I said it can sniff out ambush predators
-Kelpie: Useless at underwater combat
-Kraken: Maybe useful as a distraction, certainly isn't gonna hit its weak point for a kill
-Undine: Will probably be one-shot, so it's a useful distraction for maybe ten seconds
-Tentacles: Useless, would get stung to poo poo over its whole body unless it has little dog armor
-Giant Frogs: Would probably fare alright since at least it wouldn't have a weapon to disarm

So that's... about 5 situations where it would be an asset, 3 where it's about neutral or unobtrusive, and 8 where it is useless or an active hinderance.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

I stopped taking you seriously when you said dogs can’t detect ghosts.

Detecting them isn't the problem, they're right there, they glow in the loving dark, it's just that biting a ghost does jack poo poo

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Barking at unseen threats is the whole point. Pulling on your chain and joking around aside, the whole point of having a dog with you is early warning threat detection. Nobody shits on bomb stiffing dogs because they can’t disarm the bomb they find. You’re just happy they found the hidden bomb. I’m not a dog person, but I am a human prehistory nerd, and dog domestication is a massive technological boon. Besides their utility in hunting, the biggest boon of having dogs in your hunter/gatherer camp is that start barking and pointing when bad poo poo gets too close to the perimeter.

The actual problem would be dungeons filling up with packs of feral dogs because they’re the ones that survive party wipes.

I also have an argument for dungeon delving murder donkies, if you really want to make a list.

The ghosts aren't really an unseen threat, they float around as glowing orbs and poo poo, they're not really taken by surprise by them is the point. They know ghosts are likely in the area from moment one and the issue is they have no way to actually attack them. A ghost-sniffing dog is just redundant.

A pack mule would be helpful just for being able to carry way more of their butchered monster bits with them as they go. The kelpie alone probably produced more useable meat than they could carry by themselves. Feeding it might be a problem, not a lot to graze on down there past the second level.

edit:

Marsupial Ape posted:

Next you’re going to tell me that Senshi shouldn’t have a truffle pig buddy.
They'd have eaten the truffle pig by like day three just from Marcille insisting they eat some non-monster animal like a big baby

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

What if the pig had a name and a swishy little tail? Marcille would protect it with her life while also still dreaming about bacon.

...fair point. Marcille will complain and moan about eating monsters, but given how upset she was at the thought of the dog-killing method of mandrake harvesting, she'd probably be horrified at the thought of butchering a cute animal with a name and poo poo. Monsters are assholes and bring it on themselves by being aggro and no-chill all the time, she has no moral qualms about killing and eating those.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

A jargogle posted:

Would love to see someone bring her on to do monster concept designs for an RPG.

I hear the Dragon Quest franchise had a position open up recently

(RIP Akira Toriyama, Goku would have loved all the weird monster food)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe they do like the Dorohedoro anime adaptation and make a short OVA/ONA for bonus material.

Let's hope they don't do like the Dorohedoro anime adaptation and leave it in limbo for like four years before announcing a season 2

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah, having watched the anime first then read the corresponding chapters, it's interesting to see which details were left out or changed such as the kraken parasite actually being sperm Laios mistakenly jerks out of a tentacle lol.

...it's been a while since I read that bit of the manga, but that sounds wrong

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The gang is gonna have to go hunting for Phoenix down

Side bonus: Kentucky Fried Phoenix! :fsn:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I appreciate using heat-resistant dragon scales as cookware, that's using every part of the buffalo right there. If they could skin that big bastard and cart the leather back up to the surface, that might put this whole expedition's finances back in the black. I'm sure it would be valuable to someone.

Also given that we've seemingly resolved the main conflict of the series despite having half the season still to go, who wants to bet that Marcille's non-OSHA-approved resurrection is gonna have some Pet Semetary style side effects or something?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I got the impression from Namari's comment that he'd gone off to search for Falin somewhere else besides the dungeon.

Which is kind of an odd thing to do, like... she got eaten by a dragon, where else does he expect her to be? :confused:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shuro decided the dungeon-based revival was a lost cause and decided to head off into the mountains to look for any recently-born baby that might be her reincarnation

He's playing the Long Game here

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I don't think Falin squints because she needs glasses, I think she just has a kinda sleepy-eyed neutral expression, like Joel from MST3K

It's like Resting Bitch Face, but for good-natured dopeyness.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

They had a whole scene in this episode where she couldn't see Laios clearly with her eyes open post resurrection and he came into focus when she started squinting even

Oh yeah, that did happen, I guess I initially chalked that up to being like Han coming out of the carbonite or whatever, but that also makes sense

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ThingOne posted:

If you can get him out of his dungeon gear, Senshi is legitimately one of the handsomest dudes in the manga.

He looks like he has strong opinions about microbrews

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Ill be honest, i dont know what a cour is and i thought they meant to say course because they were making a food joke

It's like a "season" of a tv show, usually 11-13 episodes

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Looking at credits is a mistake, Mad Mage is a way more intimidating antagonist name than freaking Thistle. Can’t help but wonder if the moniker is a reference to the Wizardry games, I’ve never played them but still know about the first one being about defeating the Mad Wizard Andrew.

now be nice, if an Elf is gonna be named after a flower, it might as well be the spiniest most "gently caress off" flower. It's the national emblem of Scotland! Guy even kinda matches the traditional thistle color palette

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'd say this episode was a tonal shift, but not a huge or jarring one. It's not even that it got a whole lot darker, just a bit more mysterious.

Like the first half was pretty straightforward, Falin got eaten by a dragon and now we gotta cut her out of its gullet poste haste. Yeah there was weird fantasy poo poo, but none of it was totally foreign or inexplicable to the characters in-universe.

Now things have gotten a touch more foreboding, we have an intelligent adversary, there's vague portentous dialogue alluding to... stuff. And something happened to Falin that we don't know precisely what, but is implied to be kinda hosed up in a way that's different from just being eaten by something.

Like I said, it's not a huge Red Wedding style tonal shift, stuff is still mostly goofy fantasy adventure. But now we've hit a point where there's bigger things going on that nobody, not even our seasoned adventurer main characters, totally grasps.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"Laios can't be allowed to wander this dungeon and claim its power. He's the wrong kind of weirdo.

Unlike me, the right kind of weirdo!"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i think kabru is a nice boy with good intentions

Disconcertingly good at killing people, though.

Speaking of which, man, this episode didn't have a lot of animation, but the minute or so total of actual fight scene stuff was intense

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Starting to think more and more about Laios as a Corporal Carrot type.

A werewolf girlfriend would kinda track, yeah

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Look, if those corpse retriever guys didn't wanna get got, they shouldn't have started a bunch of poo poo they weren't prepared to finish with a bunch of professional armed weirdos

Down in the Dungeon, Man's law is entirely subservient to Nature's law

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

what the gently caress, I thought Laios was a bro

Look, the party already trusts Chilchuck to go first into rooms full of booby traps because he's more likely to detect them before they kill someone, this is just that logic applied to living booby traps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dark477 posted:

There was also an episode in the original series where they tried to eat a magikarp

There was also an episode in the original series where they caught and ate regular rear end non-pokemon fish, which is a little weird to think about these days